Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Olympic football: Spain eliminated at group stage

Olympic football: Spain eliminated at group stage

So much for that dynasty.... and to Honduras no less....

Spain are out of the Olympic men's football competition after suffering a shock 1-0 defeat by Honduras.

The Hondurans, who won thanks to Jerry Bengtson's early goal, progress from Group D along with Japan, who beat Morocco 1-0.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18904137
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Oh and they went down with their usual lack of class......

Oh and CONCACAF looks to have TWO teams in the Qtr Finals in Honduras and Mexico....go figure....

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Oh and they went down with their usual lack of class......
    That was the most unsportsmanlike display that I've ever seen in a 'professional' type of setting. Spain players physically bumping the official with such force that the official had to change his direction. How there were no red cards is beyond my comprehension.

They have prefected being odious when they lose a game....and that is why allot of folks will never respect or like what they have accomplished...

Brazil was always class win or lose and Spain is neither class win or lose....

Quote Originally Posted by BGRed View Post
    That was the most unsportsmanlike display that I've ever seen in a 'professional' type of setting. Spain players physically bumping the official with such force that the official had to change his direction. How there were no red cards is beyond my comprehension.

Varsity
    any further word on possible suspensions after the game? not sure how much that is done...and it won't really matter as it can't be more than the columbia women's player and spain won't make it out of group play.

I will be surprised if FIFA does anything...

With that being said Spain got a dose of what we deal with in CONCACAF....the diving, play acting, time wasting etc....

Quote Originally Posted by BGRed View Post
    any further word on possible suspensions after the game? not sure how much that is done...and it won't really matter as it can't be more than the columbia women's player and spain won't make it out of group play.

All Big 10
    To be fair to Spain, the Olympic Soccer teams are primarily under 23, with only one or two senior players. So the Spanish side that embarrassed themselves in this Olympic tournament was not the senior side that many sports writers were annointing as the GOAT. They were not a quality side, and their actions were atrocious. I saw in the first game where one of the Spanish players raked the back of a player's leg because he was playing the clock.
    You never stand so tall as when you kneel to help a child.

On the other hand Spain won the Euro U-23 championship last year and was one of the Gold Medal favorites...so a huge failure on their part....

20 players 23 or younger and 3 players 24 or older....

Spain's behavior is being excused for now but there will come a point that it won't be anymore...

Barcalona and Real Madrid wield allot of power in world football and that 'buys' Spain a few mulligans....

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrHusker View Post
    To be fair to Spain, the Olympic Soccer teams are primarily under 23, with only one or two senior players. So the Spanish side that embarrassed themselves in this Olympic tournament was not the senior side that many sports writers were annointing as the GOAT. They were not a quality side, and their actions were atrocious. I saw in the first game where one of the Spanish players raked the back of a player's leg because he was playing the clock.