Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: FIFA reviewing 'punch' to Wambach and Yet another Solo controversey

FIFA reviewing 'punch' to Wambach and Yet another Solo controversey

To me this is pretty cut and dried....while they are at it they need to tell Hope Solo to put a cork in it....what a nutter....

The disciplinary committee of world soccer's governing body is reviewing the hit to the face that left U.S. forward Abby Wambach with a black eye during a game against Colombia at the Olympics.

Fans go all out to support their London Olympic heroes.
    FIFA spokesman Alex Stone said no update was expected before Monday.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/so...ts.com+News%29
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

U.S. coach meets with goalie Solo over Twitter rant

FYI....

Hope Solo met with the coach and captains of the U.S. women's soccer team Sunday to discuss her latest outburst of candor, a Twitter rant that did no good for the image of the squad and distracted from preparations for the upcoming game against North Korea in the Olympic tournament.

Coach Pia Sundhage said Solo will not be disciplined for the series of tweets that criticized former U.S. player Brandi Chastain's commentary during the NBC broadcast of the Americans' 3-0 win over Colombia on Saturday.

"We had a conversation: If you look at the women's national team, what do you want [people] to see? What do you want them to hear?" Sundhage told reporters at the team hotel. "And that's where we do have a choice -- as players, coaches, staff, the way we respond to certain things."
    Much more:

http://www.cbssports.com/olympics/st...itter-rant/rss

FWIW my daughter and I have not been fans of Solo the person since her below the belt remarks about Briana Scurry in the 2008 Olympics...not a good team-mate in my opinion....

Varsity
    Not a fan of Solo speaking out - but, my family has the same opinion of Brandi Chastain's commentating. She is way too negative ALL the time...like she's trying to make a point that Chastain's US team was SO much better than the current team.

I got no problem with Solo, and she was right in her comments back in 2008. Her comments this week were probably made at the wrong time, but honestly, I'm kinda tired of the US players from the 90's who have this inflated ego when commenting on TV. At least Chastain has some success to base her comments on, but the guys who played during the 90's on the men's team just sound stupid when they compare their era to what's going on now.

I have a huge problem with it.....she is a bad teammate....and the timing awful....its all about her....never the team taken into consideration....

You don't throw a great player like Scurry under the bus like she did in 2008....that is wrong....

Solo needs to shut the hell up....

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    I got no problem with Solo, and she was right in her comments back in 2008. Her comments this week were probably made at the wrong time, but honestly, I'm kinda tired of the US players from the 90's who have this inflated ego when commenting on TV. At least Chastain has some success to base her comments on, but the guys who played during the 90's on the men's team just sound stupid when they compare their era to what's going on now.

I'd have a bigger problem with Solo, if she didn't back it up on the field. She's probably the best keeper in US Womens history. Maybe she could take the Wambach approach, and never say anything negative or controversial, but apparently she's not like that. As far as being a bad teammate, her talk doesn't seem to impact them much on the field.

Anyways, FIFA wussed out by only giving a two game suspension to the Columbian who punched Wambach. If it were in the heat of a play, and things escalated, I could understand. However, it was a deliberate cheap shot, and should have brought down a much stiffer punishment. In the NFL you'd get suspended for half the season for doing something similar, and baseball players face much stiffer suspensions for throwing punches during brawls.

Hope Solo met with the coach and captains of the U.S. women's soccer team Sunday to discuss her latest outburst of candor, a Twitter rant that did no good for the image of the squad and distracted from preparations for the upcoming game against North Korea in the Olympic tournament.
    Anybody who doesn't think Bo Pelini was on to something when he banned the team from posting on Twitter needs to look at the number of Olympics participants who have been in hot water or have been sent home for things they've said...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/greek-a...0592--oly.html
    http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Olymp...r-racist-tweet

There's this gem from a "fan" too
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-final.html

I'd take Scurry anyday or Solo....arguably the best woman's goal keeper of all-time....how many World Cups has Solo won?

Not sure if you ever saw Scurry play...she was the BEST.....and class personified....unlike Solo....

Because her teammates are too professional to let a meglomaniac ruin there chance at a gold medal....

Should have been a 5-10 game ban....but yeah typical....

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    I'd have a bigger problem with Solo, if she didn't back it up on the field. She's probably the best keeper in US Womens history. Maybe she could take the Wambach approach, and never say anything negative or controversial, but apparently she's not like that. As far as being a bad teammate, her talk doesn't seem to impact them much on the field.

Anyways, FIFA wussed out by only giving a two game suspension to the Columbian who punched Wambach. If it were in the heat of a play, and things escalated, I could understand. However, it was a deliberate cheap shot, and should have brought down a much stiffer punishment. In the NFL you'd get suspended for half the season for doing something similar, and baseball players face much stiffer suspensions for throwing punches during brawls.

Oh and FWIW this will only be a one game ban as Colombia will not advance to the Qtr Finals....talk about weak.....FIFA shows their true colors again....

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Oh and FWIW this will only be a one game ban as Colombia will not advance to the Qtr Finals....talk about weak.....FIFA shows their true colors again....
    Yeah, FIFA never seems to be able to do the right thing when it comes to punishment or rulings of any kind. I guess money can buy decisions with these clowns. I cannot wait for instant replay, or a tv match official that can change or overrule poor decisions made on the pitch. If rugby can use instant replay or a tv match official, there is no reason that soccer cannot, except, of course for the rampant cheating and bribery.
    You never stand so tall as when you kneel to help a child.

That....the corruption in that organization is only matched by the IIOC....

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrHusker View Post
    Yeah, FIFA never seems to be able to do the right thing when it comes to punishment or rulings of any kind. I guess money can buy decisions with these clowns. I cannot wait for instant replay, or a tv match official that can change or overrule poor decisions made on the pitch. If rugby can use instant replay or a tv match official, there is no reason that soccer cannot, except, of course for the rampant cheating and bribery.