Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 47

Thread: Paywall goes up at LJS

  1. #16
    Guest

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Fremont
    Posts
    4,279
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredboy79 View Post
    Why? I venture to guess the reporters, webmasters, and other staff dont work for free. More and more people are dropping newspaper subscriptions because everything is online for free. If they put more ads on their site you would complain about that too. These are businesses that need to make a profit to stay around. I don't want to depend just on national outlets for news, I still want good quality locally produced content. If I have to chip in a few bucks, so be it.

    I couldn't agree more. It seems everyone wants something for free forgetting that the business has a payroll to meet. Those with the deepest pockets are going to drive out the little guy.

  2. #17
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    47,584
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredboy79 View Post
    Agree 110% for Husker news. OWH has become a joke in that regard.
    It's a matter of preference. I wouldn't line a dog kennel with the LJS. But I suppose if you're incapable of handling something that may be less than all-out praise of all things UNL then that lapdog Sipple is probably the way to go. No need to risk seeing anything critical.

  3. #18
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    47,584
    As for paying for the OWH, LJS, etc. For me, it will never happen. Supposedly the OWH has been doing this but I don't think I've ever been unable to read an article on there. Maybe I've been clearing history, cookies, whatever often enough that that's been the ticket. I don't know.

    I understand it I guess. I used to buy a newspaper every day. Now it's more like about 2-3 days a week. But I'm simply not going to pay to read online. How that affects their business is their problem. If they don't let me read their articles I can live with it.

  4. #19
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    47,584
    And the OWH website is an absolute pile of dung. If there was any chance of me subscribing it would be only with a guarantee that I wouldn't get that huge add at the top of the page that I have to "roll over to close".

  5. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    It's a matter of preference. I wouldn't line a dog kennel with the LJS. But I suppose if you're incapable of handling something that may be less than all-out praise of all things UNL then that lapdog Sipple is probably the way to go. No need to risk seeing anything critical.
    I really don't like both Sipple and Shatel. But I feel the LJS reporters are better than the OWS. I don't mind stories that are critical of the program, but some of the stuff that the OWH prints just comes across the wrong way to me. Lee's tone just comes across as bitter. We could go out and win a MNC and he would find something negative to write about the next day. Dirk I think could be a good writer if he would lose some of the arrogance that comes across in his writing. I like Sam and he knows how to write stories that praise when needed and also be critical when warranted.

  6. #21
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    47,584
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredboy79 View Post
    I really don't like both Sipple and Shatel. But I feel the LJS reporters are better than the OWS. I don't mind stories that are critical of the program, but some of the stuff that the OWH prints just comes across the wrong way to me. Lee's tone just comes across as bitter. We could go out and win a MNC and he would find something negative to write about the next day. Dirk I think could be a good writer if he would lose some of the arrogance that comes across in his writing. I like Sam and he knows how to write stories that praise when needed and also be critical when warranted.
    The negative stuff won't kill you. It might actually make you think.

    And other than his vote for Michigan back in the 90s...what had Lee ever writen that was wrong. I've been on the wrong side of the opinion deal with Barfneck (it's why I intentionally spell his name wrong!) but take it for what it's worth...an opinion. Sometimes it will make you think differently.

  7. #22
    Not sure what the big deal is, the LJS is going to charge, why complain about it on a board that you pay to post on.

  8. #23
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wenatchee, WA
    Posts
    73
    Not sure what the big deal is, just right click on any link that has an asterisk behind it on HuskerMax and select open link in incognito window. At least that's how it works with Google Chrome. I'm sure there are similar options with the other web browsers.

  9. #24
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by NUcornhuskers01 View Post
    IMO, thats rediculous!
    What's ridiculous? The LJS not giving their content that they paid people to develop away for free?

  10. #25
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,646
    I'm definitely not going to pay to access two sites that give pretty much the same info, with different opinion piece writers.

    Maybe the newspaper companies should start thinking differently about their competitors. How about the LJS or OWH offering a package deal, say $10 a month to get access to both newspapers? I think more people would be likely to pay for that rather than purchase individual subscriptions to both...

  11. #26
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    47,584
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    What's ridiculous? The LJS not giving their content that they paid people to develop away for free?
    Similar to the outrage people expressed when they found out that they couldn't download music for free.

  12. #27
    Husker Immortal
    CombatTargeteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    132,710
    This one will hurt. I don't miss the OWH so much but I did enjoy the LJS. Oh well as you get older you get used to doing with less.

  13. #28
    Recruit

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    584
    The LA times has started the same thing this year. To defeat it, I simply google the article instead of going to LA times.com and there ya go, read LA times all day without getting blocked.

  14. #29
    Cake or Death?
    The Impaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    still in ********** Texas via Alliance
    Posts
    7,568
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Similar to the outrage people expressed when they found out that they couldn't download music for free.
    Similarly I wonder if a better model might be an iTunes-esque model. Give you a preview of said article and you can purchase individual articles at a cheap (maybe $.10 - $.25/article) type thing.

    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

    "Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard



  15. #30
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    47,584
    Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    Similarly I wonder if a better model might be an iTunes-esque model. Give you a preview of said article and you can purchase individual articles at a cheap (maybe $.10 - $.25/article) type thing.

    Good idea. I wonder if individual columnists/reporters would like this style of "voting". I'm guessing NOT.







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •