Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Romney making quite an 'impression' in England

Romney making quite an 'impression' in England

Spoke to my uncle last night who lives just south of Manchester, in my mom's hometown of Mansfield Woodhouse....he said Romeny was making quite the 'impression' with his series of gaffes since arriving in London....and the English press which can be quite unforgiving and harsh has had a field day with it....I actually feel sorry for him....tough place to make a few mistakes with the way their press 'plays'.....not a good start with our #1 allie....

It can only get better with the English....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

The Walking Red
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Spoke to my uncle last night who lives just south of Manchester, in my mom's hometown of Mansfield Woodhouse....he said Romeny was making quite the 'impression' with his series of gaffes....and the English press which can be quite unforgiving and harsh has had a field day with it....I actually feel sorry for him....tough place to make a few mistakes with the way their press 'plays'.....not a good start with our #1 allie....

Obama had a tough early go with the British as well. Think the queen is using that iPod?

They are a self loathing country, but do not take kindly to people agreeing with the loathing.

Quote Originally Posted by nems View Post
    They are a self loathing country, but do not take kindly to people agreeing with the loathing.
    Well said.

"Always be ready to make your defense to anyone who demands from you an accounting for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and reverence." 1 Peter 3:15-16 (NRSV)

They won't be voting

Not that I recall he didn't...

Disagree...they are wonderful people....

Quote Originally Posted by nems View Post
    Obama had a tough early go with the British as well. Think the queen is using that iPod?

Ya think....

Quote Originally Posted by PNW Husker View Post
    They won't be voting

All Big 10
    Not my guy's finest hour, I will admit.

All Big 10
    The fact is Romney is right. London isn't ready for the Olympics. There have been a number of security breaches and security exports have been pointing this out all week.

If Romney had said a bunch of happy talk about how prepared they were and then an attack happened the same people would be jumping all over him.

The smart thing would have been to avoiding it and just use a blanket "Expecting great games from this great city" type comment.
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.

Nope...heck even Fox News is beating up on him...

Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    Not my guy's finest hour, I will admit.

I saw a bit of one of the interviews where Mitt brought up the security scandal, it certainly was a big deal and I didn't see anything wrong with him pointing it out. Not sure what the rest of the comments have been, all I can find now is his furious backtracking. Probably a mountain out of a molehill (in politics--who'd a thunk it?). It was funny to see MITT THE TWIT blaring from a tabloid's headline this morning, I'll say that much.

Did not know the name of the opposition member of Parliment who could be the next PM and refered to him as Mr Leader and a few other things.....

The English press is relentless once they go after someone...and FWIW io am no fan of their's....

But yes just political hay....

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    I saw a bit of one of the interviews where Mitt brought up the security scandal, it certainly was a big deal and I didn't see anything wrong with him pointing it out. Not sure what the rest of the comments have been, all I can find now is his furious backtracking. Probably a mountain out of a molehill (in politics--who'd a thunk it?). It was funny to see MITT THE TWIT blaring from a tabloid's headline this morning, I'll say that much.

Did not know the name of the opposition member of Parliment who could be the next PM and refered to him as Mr Leader and a few other things.....

The English press is relentless once they go after someone...and FWIW io am no fan of their's....

Oh yeah, they're total clowns. I would imagine they're just glad to not have to talk about the phone hacking scandal for a few weeks!

All Legend
    Spoke to my uncle last night who lives just south of Manchester, in my mom's hometown of Mansfield Woodhouse....he said Romeny was making quite the 'impression' with his series of gaffes since arriving in London....and the English press which can be quite unforgiving and harsh has had a field day with it....I actually feel sorry for him....tough place to make a few mistakes with the way their press 'plays'.....not a good start with our #1 allie....

Yeah, like that doesn't happen here on Fox and MSNBC and the message boards

Red Shirt

Made an unfortunate reference to the "looking out the backside of 10 Downing Street." Backside in the UK = arse, 10 Downing Street = press spokesman for the prime minister.

Referred to the "country of Great Britain." No such thing. Great Britain is the island, which is made up of the countries of England, Wales and Scotland. The United Kingdom includes Great Britain and Northern Island.

He referenced meeting the head of MI6, when MI6's existence was not even acknowledged until 1994.

So yes, political hay. But he's caused quite a kerfuffle when he meant to do the opposite.

Perhaps he can retroactively cancel his trip?

Our press is tame compared to England...

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    Yeah, like that doesn't happen here on Fox and MSNBC and the message boards