Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: statues...

Statues for football coaches are just creepy. Even ours. Having BB in it and it being a "teaching moment" helps, but it's still weird. Little too much hero worship.

Starter
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Here is a nice photo gallery of 25 football statues ... there was only 1 that surprised me.
    The life you lead is the life you teach!

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by wcbsas View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.1.html

Here is a nice photo gallery of 25 football statues ... there was only 1 that surprised me.
    Great link. Going through that made me feel even more strongly that schools should wait until the honorees have passed on, both to be sure, and because it is just too much hero worship. Nick Saban? Really?

I can't think of a living person I admire more than Tom Osborne, both for what he has accomplished and how he did it. And I personally am certain there are no skeletons in his closet. But I think it would fantastic if Nebraska took this moment to remove his statue for now and put it in storage, so it could be re-installed and re-dedicated after he passes. The statue of Brooke of course could remain.

What a powerful statement that would be.

JMO.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    Great link. Going through that made me feel even more strongly that schools should wait until the honorees have passed on, both to be sure, and because it is just too much hero worship. Nick Saban? Really?

I can't think of a living person I admire more than Tom Osborne, both for what he has accomplished and how he did it. And I personally am certain there are no skeletons in his closet. But I think it would fantastic if Nebraska took this moment to remove his statue for now and put it in storage, so it could be re-installed and re-dedicated after he passes. The statue of Brooke of course could remain.

What a powerful statement that would be.

JMO.
    Here are my thoughts when looking through the pictures ... almost every athlete - Earl Campbell, Ricky Williams, Tim Tebow, Steve Spurrier ... were Heisman Trophy winners. I'm thinking ... don't have a big issue, they accomplished a lot in the name of the school. If you can make an argument that those guys are worthy of having statues recognizing their accomplishments ... why wouldn't TO or Bear Bryant or Lou Holtz?
    The life you lead is the life you teach!

Scout Team
    Personally, I'd love to see a statue showing our Head Coach (Devaney) talking to his Offensive Coordinator (Osborne) about a power option play to their star Fullback (Solich).

That's the real story of Nebraska football right there.

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by wcbsas View Post
    Here are my thoughts when looking through the pictures ... almost every athlete - Earl Campbell, Ricky Williams, Tim Tebow, Steve Spurrier ... were Heisman Trophy winners. I'm thinking ... don't have a big issue, they accomplished a lot in the name of the school. If you can make an argument that those guys are worthy of having statues recognizing their accomplishments ... why wouldn't TO or Bear Bryant or Lou Holtz?
    I hear you. In fact, I think TO's accomplishments are more worthy than any of our Heisman winners, even though I love em all.

I just thought it went with out saying that if you apply a 6 foot under rule to coaches you would with athletes too.