Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Post from another NU forum of someone who was at Elite 11 watching. Great Read ! GJS

Post from another NU forum of someone who was at Elite 11 watching. Great Read ! GJS

I live in West Torrance, which is about a mile from Redondo Union H.S. where the event is being held.

I wore my red N Adidas shirt, as usual to an event like this because occasionally someone will take notice and start up an interesting conversation.

As luck would have it as I was sitting there when a very pretty lady noticed my shirt and struck up a conversation with me about her son going to Nebraska. Of course, it was Johnny's mom. So I met Mom, Dad and daughter in the stands and had a couple of nice conversations with them.

Before I met Mrs. Stanton I had, of course, looked out on the field to see if I could spot Johnny. He caught my eye pretty quickly. He is in great physical condition, absolutely ripped, and has great muscle development in his legs. I was trying to judge his height from the stands, and I had guessed between 6' 1" and 6' 2". Shortly thereafter Matt Barkley showed up and he and Johnny started talking. They are almost exactly the same height and look to be the same weight. Johnny is, of course in better shape, but Barkley is well put together. Mrs. Stanton later said he is 6 foot 2.
    You can read the whole post here:

http://nebraska.rivals.com/showmsg.a...id=928&style=2

Red Shirt

nice report Herb, a belated welcome to the board
    That gov't is best, which governs least -- Thomas Paine

Husker Immortal
    This kid has me jazzed about the Husker future.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do…
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Power of Corn View Post
    thanks Power!! Glad to be here and I have this itch been going on last few months and wont go away!! Maybe a good dose of NU football would help it! lol But for now...i try and contribute to board and absorb myself into all HUSKER related.

Quote Originally Posted by Power of Corn View Post
    thanks Power!! Glad to be here and I have this itch been going on last few months and wont go away!! Maybe a good dose of NU football would help it! lol But for now...i try and contribute to board and absorb myself into all HUSKER related.

Starter
    nice read. Thanks Herb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    Fear of spiders is aracnaphobia, fear of tight spaces is chlaustraphobia, fear of Ameer is Wisdom

God of Huskermax

Seriously? No homo? Pathetic.

You need to link this and shorten it as it belongs to someone else from another site....thanks....

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Herb da Husker View Post
    I live in West Torrance, which is about a mile from Redondo Union H.S. where the event is being held.

I wore my red N Adidas shirt, as usual to an event like this because occasionally someone will take notice and start up an interesting conversation.

As luck would have it as I was sitting there when a very pretty lady noticed my shirt and struck up a conversation with me about her son going to Nebraska. Of course, it was Johnny's mom. So I met Mom, Dad and daughter in the stands and had a couple of nice conversations with them.

Before I met Mrs. Stanton I had, of course, looked out on the field to see if I could spot Johnny. He caught my eye pretty quickly. He is in great physical condition, absolutely ripped, and has great muscle development in his legs (the obligatory "no homo" here). I was trying to judge his height from the stands, and I had guessed between 6' 1" and 6' 2". Shortly thereafter Matt Barkley showed up and he and Johnny started talking. They are almost exactly the same height and look to be the same weight. Johnny is, of course in better shape, but Barkley is well put together. Mrs. Stanton later said he is 6 foot 2.

In watching Johnny the first thing you notice is that he is very gregarious. He seems to always be talking to someone and moving from group to group. He also had quite a few "fans" who wanted their pictures taken with him. He seems like a natural leader. His mom said he is vice president of his class at Santa Margarita.

I was there a couple of hours, and I would say he spent at least an hour in one-on-one work with George Whitfield. He had Johnny throwing from his knees a lot and looked like he was focusing primarily on his throwing motion. He would have him throw directly at the stationary WR and then to the side and then over the top of another WR who was standing between JS and the intended receiver. Johnny has a good but not great motion. He is accurate but does not appear to have a lot of "snap" in his throws. For a while he was joined by Mike Glennon from N.C. State in the workouts with Whitfield. Now Glennon really snaps the ball, but of course is 6 foot 6 or 7.

They were working most of the other QB's in seven-on-seven, but they kept doing drills with JS. His parents thought he would not throw until about 6:30, but I had to leave and did not get to see him throw in the drills. So I can't report on that. It does look like he has a decent arm, and the camp people were really working hard with him, so I am sure he will benefit from the experience.

Heard one kind of interesting OT about the Elite 11 attendees. One of the E 11 staff was saying that they had gotten the boys up at about 4:30 in the morning, telling them they had to get up early because they had performed poorly the day before. They ended up taking the QB's down to the beach and meet with some Navy seals. The seals had them running sprints on the beach, running in the water, had them in a bath with ice and ocean water and just generally put them through the "wringer". They all said it was the toughest thing they had ever had to do physically. The staff guy said that Johnny was the clear leader of the group. Always up for every challenge and making the other guys hustle. I thought that was pretty impressive. Shows his physical conditioning and toughness that he was able to keep up with the seals.

Johnny's mom and dad are really first-rate people, and they are really sold on the Nebraska program and Coach Pelini. They like Pelini's tough demeanor because it immediately reminded them of the Santa Margarita coach, Coach Welch. I think Welch has won several California H.S. championships and he is apparently really tough on the kids, but the kids respect him enormously.

Again, I did not see Johnny throw in the 7 on 7's, so I can't comment on his performance there, but this is one terrific kid from a terrific family. There is no doubt about that.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

I'm locking this thread until Herb contacts me and provides a link...suspect this is from Rivals as someone on 247 has now taken this post from here and posted in the forum on 247 remarking that he took it from the OP.....we have to be really careful cutting and pasting this sort of stuff in whole and without a link....if I had a link I would fix it my self....

I've also shortened this as it belongs to someone else and I'm not sure if it was on the premium board at Rivals or not....

Thanks!

RR

Agree...removed that and it will not be allowed back on here...

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Seriously? No homo? Pathetic.

I decided to keep this locked....it was from RSS so it has been reduced to the minimum....as its Premium material....thus folks on here will not be able to read it if they hit the link....sorry

RR