Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mermaids-The Body Found -- on Discovery Channel

Recruit

Mermaids-The Body Found -- on Discovery Channel

I was passing the time in a hotel in Salt Lake City last weekend, when a Discovery channel program called "Mermaids: the Body Found" came on. Here is a link to some of the video footage from the documentary: http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows...s/mermaids.htm. Look at the home video footage here. I expected it to be a program about how ancient mariners saw manatees and thought they were mermaids. No. It was a documentary detailing video footage, eyewitness testimony from a US navy researcher and other underwater researchers convinced that mermaids actually exist. It was stunning.

The program was about how a US navy program in 2004-2005 testing a sonar weapon caused whales to beach and die. At the scene of one such disaster, some kids showed up and found a clump of seaweed by a dead whale; two things that looked like hands poked out of the seaweed. One kid poked it with a stick and it moved. Then it lunged at the kid, who ran away with his brother. US navy researchers arrived on the scene to tell the kids they were imagining things, and told their mother the kids only saw a seal. The navy guys did not know the kids had a cellphone and took a phone video of the event. Years later when non-navy researchers interviewed the kids, one of them revealed he still had the video on his phone. It was a beached human-like thing with arms, a human face and big eyes and webbed hands. A navy guy who had worked on that project was interviewed and said the navy neglected to secure the beach when running that test, but in all future tests the beach was secured. He also said the navy retrieved the sea creature and kept it alive for 2 years-- they did not want news of their sonar weapon test released.

The researchers had earlier been researching underwater sounds, and found a set of sounds interacting with and communicating with and traveling with dolphins- but whatever creature it was, it was not a dolphin.

The researchers had also been called to examine the contents of a great white shark, and found skull fragments, fingers, a manatee-like tailfin and pelvic bones belonging to a creature that had evolved from something that walked on two legs. The skull was re-created by a forensic scientist: it was a human skull, but with large eye cavities for seeing underwater, a large cavity in the skull for increased underwater hearing, and a hole in the top for an organ to navigate by sonar. The recreation of the skull matched a 400-year-old drawing of a skull of a thing with webbed hands. The thing was accompanied by a carved bone with a hole in it. The researcher remembered the shark's face had been pierced by a piece of stingray tail-- he found the shark had been stabbed by the creature using a tool, a weapon made from bone and stingray tail. The researchers then found photos of other unexplained sharks stabbed with similar primitive weapons still sticking out of the sharks when caught- one which appeared to have been stabbed by about 12 of these things.

The researchers also had a video of a fishing boat which brought up its net; as the net was being hauled in, something in the net was thrashing around, and you can see in the video two arms with webbed hands trying to get freed from the net, which the fishermen then dropped back in the water. That was amazing footage.

Check it out. If you have a chance to see this documentary, it is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen.
    "I'm not allowed to argue with you until you've paid."

I really hate to do this, mostly because when I watched it a few weeks ago, I too was sucked in for the first few minutes, then turned to my trusted friend Google, who told me it was fake.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UAaoVHDEuIY

Discovery really should take this off the air.
    In describing the show, Discovery says, "What if there's a kernel of truth behind the legend of this mythic creature? Is the idea of mermaids really so far-fetched? Maybe so, maybe not. The show itself, though science fiction, is based on some real events and scientific theory."

Red Shirt
    It's disappointing for Animal Plantet to run fiction on their network. One reason to watch shows there is to learn interesting things and if it comes to the point you can't trust what you are watching, then why watch.

I followed the link and its full of misinformation and crappy video evidence. I'm not sure why cell phone and personal camera footage is still portrayed as grainy and cutting out. You have to have the worst cell phone camera in the world with some of the best sound effects to shoot those videos.

I even lost trust in their reality shows. I watched a few episodes of Tanked and with the DVR slow-motion could see that they faked breaking something. They broke a different piece of glass and played it off like it was the original, argued and fought over it, and then miraculously, they found a replacement and had it delivered just minutes before their deadline. A completely fabricated story line.

Red Shirt
    And talking about crappy, deceiving shows on Animal Planet, anyone seen Wale Wars. I saw one episode and it was enough to enjoy this South Park episode that sums it up pretty good.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
    It's disappointing for Animal Plantet to run fiction on their network. One reason to watch shows there is to learn interesting things and if it comes to the point you can't trust what you are watching, then why watch.

I followed the link and its full of misinformation and crappy video evidence. I'm not sure why cell phone and personal camera footage is still portrayed as grainy and cutting out. You have to have the worst cell phone camera in the world with some of the best sound effects to shoot those videos.

I even lost trust in their reality shows. I watched a few episodes of Tanked and with the DVR slow-motion could see that they faked breaking something. They broke a different piece of glass and played it off like it was the original, argued and fought over it, and then miraculously, they found a replacement and had it delivered just minutes before their deadline. A completely fabricated story line.
    Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, even National Geographic seem to have really gone downhill. Property Wars, Auction Kings, American Loggers, Doomsday Preppers, Hoarders, Repossessed, Storage Wars, Taboo, Border Wars - that kind of junk makes up about 80& of the programming these days. I used to watch those channels a lot - lately, not so much any more.

Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, even National Geographic seem to have really gone downhill. Property Wars, Auction Kings, American Loggers, Doomsday Preppers, Hoarders, Repossessed, Storage Wars, Taboo, Border Wars - that kind of junk makes up about 80& of the programming these days. I used to watch those channels a lot - lately, not so much any more.
    A friend of mine worked with A&E on some projects. He said they and all the other specialty cable networks, History, Discovery, etc., have a hard time making money just sticking to their original model.

I don't blame History for running Pawn Stars or Swamp People to make a buck, but I do have a problem with their ancient aliens show, which is similar to the mermaid farce from Discovery. The line isn't that fuzzy, after all.

Recruit
    Well, if it was faked, I am disappointed. It was quite a show and it appears I may have been sucked into it. Sorry guys. Thank you for the comments.
    "I'm not allowed to argue with you until you've paid."

All Big 10
    This was an amazing show, but a little reaching in their story line. After reading this thread, and having watched the show, I was right in thinking that it was kinda far-fetched...sadly. The premise that the story is built on is cool, but is more along the lines of The Da Vinci Code that fact. It was a cool show to watch, but lots of conspiracy talk, as well as government cover-up. They even had a guy with his face balcke dout, and voice changed, as the resident expert on what the Navy/US Government was doing....
    You never stand so tall as when you kneel to help a child.

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by One Man Jury View Post
    Well, if it was faked, I am disappointed. It was quite a show and it appears I may have been sucked into it. Sorry guys. Thank you for the comments.
    It was quite the show, and both my daughter & I were sucked in initially. Don't feel bad, many were sucked in. It is just a shame that they spent their time fabricating this story, instead of running a real story along these lines, that would make you think and wonder.

God of Huskermax

Not surprising that the guy who listens to, and believes, Rush Limbaugh.....is the same guy who believes in mermaids. Which he also doesn't bother to fact check.

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Not surprising that the guy who listens to, and believes, Rush Limbaugh.....is the same guy who believes in mermaids. Which he also doesn't bother to fact check.
    Hey! I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh! To be honest, I barely listen to you......

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrHusker View Post
    Hey! I don't listen to Rush Limbaugh! To be honest, I barely listen to you......
    Easy tiger!

Heisman

Ouch! That one's going to leave a mark!

Flying Wild Alaska is pretty fun to watch, even if they try and make a routine go around look like a near crash.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Flying Wild Alaska is pretty fun to watch, even if they try and make a routine go around look like a near crash.
    Agree - have watched several episodes of that, and it is fun, even if they DO go a little drama-queen sometimes!

All Big 10
    Easy tiger!
    Hey! I am not Poyer, I am not easy!

All Big 10
    Ouch! That one's going to leave a mark!
    Don't say that, he likes it when you leave marks........

God of Huskermax

Hey! I am not Poyer, I am not easy!
    Don't say that, he likes it when you leave marks........
    You are EN FUEGO today!!!!!!!

Scout Team
    I find it offensive that you compare Rush to a mermaid.... I demand that you apologize to mermaids publicly in a similar forum!

Scout Team
    About all I can say for sure after watching the video clips and putting the pieces together for myself is that I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that if I had a dog, I would use "K9 Advantix II" for my pets flea and tick control!