Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 155

Thread: A look at how Pubs intend to stop millions from voting

  1. #16
    Blackshirt
    Ogahusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    14,953
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsyhusker View Post
    It's not. It is just race baiting and scare mongering. The democrats must be afraid of voter apathy in the black community in lieu of how bad this economy has been for them.
    Yep, the smell of desperation and old cliche's hangs heavy in the Dem party.
    I used to have superpowers.....but my therapist took them away...

  2. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    I never realized how many blind liberals there were out there that believe everything they are told from MSNBC.
    Seriously? Pretty lame comeback. (I don't watch MSNBC.)

    It's not hard to figure out what the Pubs are doing.

    The touchy reaction from the right tells me there's fire under the smoke.

  3. #18
    Travel Squad
    cactusboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    I never realized how many blind liberals there were out there that believe everything they are told from MSNBC.
    What facts in the piece do you dispute?

    Do you disagree that the Voting Rights Act has in it that "'intent' doesn't matter, effects do."

  4. #19
    Blackshirt
    Ogahusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    14,953
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusboy View Post
    What facts in the piece do you dispute?

    Do you disagree that the Voting Rights Act has in it that "'intent' doesn't matter, effects do."

    Is that subject to interpretation or are we just supposed to go along with your definition?
    I used to have superpowers.....but my therapist took them away...

  5. #20
    Blackshirt
    Ogahusker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    14,953
    Quote Originally Posted by 4evrHusker View Post
    So, basically, Republicans don't want the poor voting? Blacks cannot read, so they don't get to vote, am I reading that right too? The dead that vote for Dems in Chicago multiple times, but that doesn't count? The Voting Rights Act is racist? Is that like, where if I disagree with the POTUS, I am racist?

    What a load of bunk. Of course, sensationalism sells, and drives views, which is all that counts. The truth, including facts, and checking those facts, have no place in journalism, and this article proves this statement. The excerpts you quote read like a historical assessment of racism, but doesn't tell you what has been done to counter this racism.

    I still do not see how the requirement of a piece of State or Federal identification is biased or racist. Of course, telling you who is to blame for your problems is a standard political diversion, one that keeps you from seeing that the party pointing fingers is doing nothing about the problem, just letting you know that you have a problem, and who to blame.

    As a proud Mexican-American, I have my Driver's License, my Social Security Card, my retired military dependent ID card, my VA ID card. All valid state or federal identification. How is this requirement work against eligible, registered voters? Why shouldn't a voting site require that you prove you are eligible, amd qualified to vote, one time, for your candidate?

    Convicted felons cannot vote, neither can those that are not US citizens, and you can only vote one time, where again is the issue?
    Why do you hate convicted felons so much?

    I used to have superpowers.....but my therapist took them away...

  6. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusboy View Post
    What facts in the piece do you dispute?

    Do you disagree that the Voting Rights Act has in it that "'intent' doesn't matter, effects do."
    The United States Supreme Court has already upheld the legality of Voter ID laws under the Constitution and the Voting Rights Act. This is settled law.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II


  7. #22
    Starter
    CornfieldCounty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    13,009
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    Seriously? Pretty lame comeback. (I don't watch MSNBC.)

    It's not hard to figure out what the Pubs are doing.

    The touchy reaction from the right tells me there's fire under the smoke.
    Lame comeback? What are you, in High School?

    What do you want for a response when the question is so grossly ignorant? How about the only reason this is being brought up is that the extreme left has no real substance to argue on? Or how about the only way a liberal can win is to lie and mis-characterize the argument because the basis is simple common sense?

    Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

    Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

  8. #23
    pray for me ;)
    ColoREDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Denver 'burbs
    Posts
    48,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogahusker View Post
    How is asking for an ID and/or voter registration card a bad thing? Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogahusker View Post
    Using minorities and the poor for political gain is disgusting. Shame on the Dems.
    I agree with the ID thing. It is not hard to get identification in this country if you are here legally. Dems use minorities and the poor for political gain, Pubs use them to die in the middle east. Well, I should have just about pissed off everyone on this board with the last sentence so my work is done here. Have a good night everyone.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

  9. #24
    All Big 10
    huskernut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    18,546
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusboy View Post
    It's only racism if the people doing it say it's racism.
    Your source conceded it isn't necessarily racist. Why do you think it is?

  10. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    Lame comeback? What are you, in High School?

    What do you want for a response when the question is so grossly ignorant? How about the only reason this is being brought up is that the extreme left has no real substance to argue on? Or how about the only way a liberal can win is to lie and mis-characterize the argument because the basis is simple common sense?

    This has truly hit a nerve. It's telling.

    Marginalizing the poor and disenfranchised is a common, well worn, much used tactic of the Republican Party.

    This is just one more example.

    I don't think it'll make that much difference, however.

    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...ist/56224900/1

    Florida has agreed that it can challenge voters only if the state provides a "unique identifier," such as an "alien number," for each person in question. Alien numbers generally are assigned to foreigners living in the country legally, often with visas or other permits such as green cards.
    Unless they become naturalized citizens, however, they cannot vote.
    The agreement will prevent Florida from using only a name and birthdate to seek federal data about a suspected noncitizen on voter rolls.
    The SAVE list is unlikely to catch illegal immigrants in any state who might have managed to register to vote because such people typically would not have an alien number.
    So, since voting fraud by illegal aliens isn't really a big problem, I have a hard time seeing how Pubs are going to gain anything with this.

  11. #26
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    9,494
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    I agree with the ID thing. It is not hard to get identification in this country if you are here legally. Dems use minorities and the poor for political gain, Pubs use them to die in the middle east. Well, I should have just about pissed off everyone on this board with the last sentence so my work is done here. Have a good night everyone.
    Thread ender. Well done. RIP
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

    -- Samuel L. Jackson

  12. #27
    Travel Squad
    cactusboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    The United States Supreme Court has already upheld the legality of Voter ID laws under the Constitution and the Voting Rights Act. This is settled law.
    So does that mean we all agree that intent doesn't matter and effect does?

  13. #28
    Travel Squad
    cactusboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    I agree with the ID thing. It is not hard to get identification in this country if you are here legally. Dems use minorities and the poor for political gain, Pubs use them to die in the middle east. Well, I should have just about pissed off everyone on this board with the last sentence so my work is done here. Have a good night everyone.
    IF there is to ever be voter ID laws they shouldn't take place for at least 2 years after the law passes. If we have to phase in the HC law to accommodate businesses we should dot he same to accommodate voters.

  14. #29
    Travel Squad
    cactusboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7,061
    Quote Originally Posted by 4evrHusker View Post

    Convicted felons cannot vote,
    not always true.

  15. #30
    All Big 10
    huskernut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    18,546
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusboy View Post
    IF there is to ever be voter ID laws they shouldn't take place for at least 2 years after the law passes. If we have to phase in the HC law to accommodate businesses we should dot he same to accommodate voters.
    I agree.







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •