Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is it acceptable for adults

Why is it acceptable for adults

to swear but not children? They are only words and cannot do any real harm if they are said or heard. What are we protecting children from?

Junior Varsity
    I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to keep children innocent for as long as we can. And who says it is acceptable for adults to swear? Not in my house.

And I think that to say that words cannot do any real harm is pretty naive.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

All Big 10
    My grandmother use to say that swear words were used by people that lacked imagination, vocabulary, and self control.

I am not a big fan of them used by children or adults.
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBraska View Post
    I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to keep children innocent for as long as we can. And who says it is acceptable for adults to swear? Not in my house.

And I think that to say that words cannot do any real harm is pretty naive.
    I agree with you on this one.....I looked at my 14 year olds facebook page and overheard him chatting with some kids on x-box live the other day and the f-bombs were all over the place. Not by him, but by his peers. IMO it sounds trashy and it is not the way adults or children should speak.

Free country, talk as you wish, but I don't have a double standard for cursing, no one in my house should do it, and even though it happens occasionally (by both my wife and I on occasion) we don't use the language in front of the kids (three boys 11-14) and both feel bad when it happens....

I must have turrets or something when it comes to driving in the walmart parking lot because that is when the explatives come out most often.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    My grandmother use to say that swear words were used by people that lacked imagination, vocabulary, and self control.

I am not a big fan of them used by children or adults.
    I agree for the most part and I try not to swear too often. We tell our kids that people who swear a lot makes them sound uneducated. Many are guilty of swearing from time to time, myself included, but its those who swear casually that get under my skin.

To answer the original question though, you are right, they are just words. Poop means the exact same thing as ************ yet one is acceptable and the other isn't. It is kind of silly.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    To answer the original question though, you are right, they are just words. Poop means the exact same thing as ************ yet one is acceptable and the other isn't. It is kind of silly.
    +1

Scout Team
    I might also add that If I said...."Forget You ColoREDo!"....it does not feel as offensive as the other term does. The meaning is the same....language is funny sometimes. I have had students say things like, "Shut the Front door" and I feel like I am caught between a rock and a hard place because I know that the term is a variation of the other vulger expression....at least that what I think when I hear it......hard to judge the proper way to deal with those things...esp. when that is a phrase that they hear at home all the time or is on a show they watch every day.

All Big 10
    My nephew caught me using ****** on Facebook and called me on it. I told him that it means "why the face". He replied that it didn't mean that and he would have his dad explain it to me later.

Bless his heart.

(his dad and I had a good laugh and than he told me to watch my language in the future)

I was at the mall a while back and there was a pack of teens walking behind us. The ring leader was eff this and eff that and eff a few other things. I got tired of his lack of creativity and told him to watch his language. He went off in a shower of f bombs and other words ending which basically why should watch his language. I calmly responded "Because your over use of valgarites make you sound like an ignorant dumb... And I am sure I am not the only one annoyed by your display". He was speechless and his possy paused be laughing at him. If I remember correctly one the guys said "that old guy schooled you homes".

Husker Fan

Who are you?

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    Who are you?
    Your hero.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    Your hero.
    Hell no. I dont have heros

Scout Team
    I only swear when alone. If nothing else, it seems impolite in company, given that others in your presence might find it objectionable.

Junior Varsity
    A few years ago my son-in-law's father told me that is was now OK to say "Son of a B..." because the censors in Hollywood had now decided it was allowable. And he was serioius. Here is an Air Force officer with a grad degree from Michigan telling me that his standards for vocabulary are set by Hollywood. I do agree a lot of our current language has been encouraged through film and tv, but to have a bunch of young writers on the Left coast determining our language standards is sad to me. Many of you are too young to remember when the Clark Gable line in Gone With The Wind (Frankly, my dear ...) was remarkable. My how times have changed.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

We're betting that many of you who don't swear do go to "R" rated movies and one of the reasons for the rating is language.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby and Bruce View Post
    We're betting that many of you who don't swear do go to "R" rated movies and one of the reasons for the rating is language.
    Oh, the horror!
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"