Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 yolk...

Heisman

2 yolk...

in 1 egg...now how often does that happen to you guys? I had this happen to me this morning.

Happened to me twice in a row once. I thought I had a carton of eggs from mutated chickens or something, but the rest turned out being fine.

Heisman

it does make one pause for a few minutes LOL...

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    Happened to me twice in a row once. I thought I had a carton of eggs from mutated chickens or something, but the rest turned out being fine.
    I too had this happen not too long ago. I needed extra toast.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Scout Team
    I bet my wife once years ago (before we had a dish washer) dishes for a month on the subject. I said that a particular egg was so big it was going to be a double yolker, she said not, I won!
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music!

Habitual Line Crosser
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker in Spokane View Post
    I bet my wife once years ago (before we had a dish washer) dishes for a month on the subject. I said that a particular egg was so big it was going to be a double yolker, she said not, I won!
    How costly was the divorce?

Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    You get so wrapped up in the proverbial "its all about me and my" that you loose not only your creditability but any resemblance of intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I'm reaching the point of becoming a lunatic here

Head Lackey
    So you enjoyed twins this morning?

Yep, I'm jealous.
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Intellectual Patriot
    How can people who are pro-life eat eggs? Isnt that an ethical conflict?
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    How can people who are pro-life eat eggs? Isnt that an ethical conflict?
    You're comparing apples to oranges.
    Abortion stops a beating heart, but toast will sop up an over easy egg...

Incidentally, the yolk in an egg is not the chicken embryo. It is the nutrients that would feed the chicken. The eggs we eat are unfertilized, meaning there is no chicken fetus in the egg. I never knew that until a few days ago. I always assumed the yolk is what would become the chicken.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dead Redemption View Post
    Abortion stops a beating heart, but toast will sop up an over easy egg...
    I beleive that Daniel Tosh would now comment on how funny it would be if you were raped by a dead chicken.

I love fan mail.

Head Lackey
    I beleive that Daniel Tosh would now comment on how funny it would be if you were raped by a dead chicken.

never again...

That was a fowl experience indeed.

Heisman

This happens when two yolks are dropped from the ovary at the same time. Because they are so close as they go through the oviduct, they are treated as one yolk and only one shell is made. Double-yolk eggs are usually produced by young chickens whose laying cycle has not yet been established, but some chickens are genetically more likely to lay them regularly. Sources we've found online differ considerably as to the odds, ranging from 0.1% to 5%.
    Two yolks, one egg

All Legend
    They may not be fertilized, but eggs are "potential" life. 'course, so is everything we eat.

Head Lackey

or he would somehow make a connection with "2 yolk, 1 egg" to "2 girls, 1 cup"

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Incidentally, the yolk in an egg is not the chicken embryo. It is the nutrients that would feed the chicken. The eggs we eat are unfertilized, meaning there is no chicken fetus in the egg. I never knew that until a few days ago. I always assumed the yolk is what would become the chicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    They may not be fertilized, but eggs are "potential" life. 'course, so is everything we eat.
    Occasionally they ARE fertilized, resulting in a TRULY yucky experience when you crack them open!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dead Redemption View Post
    or he would somehow make a connection with "2 yolk, 1 egg" to "2 girls, 1 cup"
    That's totally something he would do.

Don't you mean raped by 5 dead chickens?

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    in 1 egg...now how often does that happen to you guys? I had this happen to me this morning.
    0.1 to 5% but just recently I found that people that like the French or have French ancestry find it necessary to vote Republican in the next election. Funny huh.

Junior Varsity
    Speaking of egg knowledge. A couple years ago I started eating healthier which included having egg whites for breakfast, so I looked up what all the egg lingo meant. It's good to know that even though some have a color preference, brown and white eggs are actually equal.

Grading by quality and size

The US Department of Agriculture grades eggs by the interior quality of the egg (see Haugh unit) and the appearance and condition of the egg shell. Eggs of any quality grade may differ in weight (size).

• U.S. Grade AA eggs have whites that are thick and firm; yolks that are high, round, and practically free from defects; and clean, unbroken shells. Grade AA and Grade A eggs are best for frying and poaching, where appearance is important.
    • U.S. Grade A eggs have characteristics of Grade AA eggs except the whites are "reasonably" firm. This is the quality most often sold in stores.
    • U.S. Grade B eggs have whites that may be thinner and yolks that may be wider and flatter than eggs of higher grades. The shells must be unbroken, but may show slight stains. This quality is seldom found in retail stores because they are usually used to make liquid, frozen, and dried egg products, as well as other egg-containing products.

Color of eggshell

Although egg color is a largely cosmetic issue, with no effect on egg quality or taste, it is a major issue in production due to regional and national preferences for specific colors, and the results of such preferences on demand. For example, in most regions of the United States, chicken eggs are generally white. In some parts of the northeast of that country, particularly New England, where a television jingle for years proclaimed "brown eggs are local eggs, and local eggs are fresh!", brown eggs are more common.

In February 1976, the British New Scientist magazine, in discussing issues of chicken egg color, stated "Housewives are particularly fussy about the colour of their eggs, preferring even to pay more for brown eggs although white eggs are just as good"

Misconceptions

Free range does not imply in any way that the hens were fed any differently than on normal commercial farms. The label "free roaming" does not describe feed supplies, which means that free-range hens can be fed the same animal-derived byproducts or GMO crops as in other non-organic farms. This is also the main reason why free-range eggs are cheaper than organic eggs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_%28food%29

I heard somewhere that free range eggs tasted better because the chickens ate different plants, bugs, etc. However I think I later read that was a misconception.