Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nebraska recruiting WR Torii Hunter Jr. the hardest

#1 Husker Fan
    Torii will be in Lincoln this week for a visit!!!!!!!
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Still wants to play both football and baseball....will also be visiting Utah, Arizona and Arizona State...

I'll say it again I'm not big on two sport recruits....for allot of obvious reasons....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint23r View Post
    Turner Gill did fine as a football and baseball player
    turner did quit well earning big 8 honors, but reality is he only played 1 year of baserball(1983)...meaning baseball did not halt his development in football. few athletes, as has been mentioned before, bo jackson, deion sanders, kirk gibson ect...are very rare

Travel Squad

You have to be an extremely special athlete to pull this off....Khiry Cooper everyone thought could do it, in fact people said "you don't let a talent like that get away, even if he only gets to half his potential in both sports".

I think that is a true statement in our early Pelini classes, you take the athlete when you can get him. But with where we are in recruiting now-a-days, dual athletes have to be VERY special or at a position of real need AKA Starling. Dual sport athletes have an even lower success rate than the average football recruit. And you are using a scholarship on someone that isn';t going to fully develop due to missing conditioning and practices.

I am against the dual sport athlete, but the coaching staff lays out clearly the expectations so their judgment I always trust. Hunter and Erstad played together I believe, so we may have a leg up...

Well said and I agree...

Actually they never played together....but still a plus for us though with Erstad's long career....

Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    You have to be an extremely special athlete to pull this off....Khiry Cooper everyone thought could do it, in fact people said "you don't let a talent like that get away, even if he only gets to half his potential in both sports".

I think that is a true statement in our early Pelini classes, you take the athlete when you can get him. But with where we are in recruiting now-a-days, dual athletes have to be VERY special or at a position of real need AKA Starling. Dual sport athletes have an even lower success rate than the average football recruit. And you are using a scholarship on someone that isn';t going to fully develop due to missing conditioning and practices.

I am against the dual sport athlete, but the coaching staff lays out clearly the expectations so their judgment I always trust. Hunter and Erstad played together I believe, so we may have a leg up...
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

God I admire you.
    Works pretty well if you are a punter like Erstad.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10

We were going to let a QB do it last year...personally I would prefer a wide receiver splitting time as opposed to a QB.

ToungeInCheek since 2010
    We were going to let a QB do it last year...personally I would prefer a wide receiver splitting time as opposed to a QB.
    I agree, why not let the kid come in and decide, especially tremendous talent. Bring him in, let him try, and who knows, may decide football is what is right for him and focus on that, or could go other way. Either way Nebraska isn't out that much IMO, worth the risk. I also like having pro-athletes kids choosing Nebraska. I think Tori Hunter's circle of influence is one we would want to view the Huskers favorably.
    No koozies for you. - BigRedMax
    I'm the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet — I want to know who the morons are. - Mark Cuban

#1 Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    I agree, why not let the kid come in and decide, especially tremendous talent. Bring him in, let him try, and who knows, may decide football is what is right for him and focus on that, or could go other way. Either way Nebraska isn't out that much IMO, worth the risk. I also like having pro-athletes kids choosing Nebraska. I think Tori Hunter's circle of influence is one we would want to view the Huskers favorably.

Agreed.

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

All American

Quote Originally Posted by carrolltonsker View Post
    If a player plays on the football team, his scholarship counts against the number of football scholarships. You cannot offer him a baseball scholarship to "save" your football scholarships.

Due to the small number of baseball scholarships allowed by the NCAA (11.7 that can be split up and given to up to 30 players), baseball players are rarely, if ever, on a "full" baseball scholarship. So, with that in mind, I guess a football scholarship has "more benefits" in that it is a "full" scholarship as opposed to the "partial" scholarship that a baseball player receives.
    The rule is basically that a two-sport athlete always counts against the higher-revenue sport.

All American

Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Still wants to play both football and baseball....will also be visiting Utah, Arizona and Arizona State...

I'll say it again I'm not big on two sport recruits....for allot of obvious reasons....
    And then there is always the Baseball Draft that can creep in.

Husker Fan

And that probably wouldn't have gone well for Starling. I simply don't think you can give up spring ball and summer 7 on 7's, etc. and make an impact...especially a QB but I think it's going to have a negative effect on any player (except, of course, punters as mentioned before). Doesn't help them in baseball either missing fall ball

#1 Husker Fan
    At the end of the day this kids stock is rising, and with a larger class for once, I would take him in a heartbeat. And I have a feeling the coaching staff feels the same way. There is a reason they offered the kid and that he is near or at the top of the list for his position accordingly for our recruiting.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]