Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nebraska recruiting WR Torii Hunter Jr. the hardest

#1 Husker Fan

Nebraska recruiting WR Torii Hunter Jr. the hardest

We all know who his dad is. Rivals 3* from Prosper Texas. He says Nebraska is recruiting him hardest! Time for the Tori Hunter-Darin Erstad connection to kick in!!

Sorry if already posted.
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

#1 Husker Fan
    For those wondering, he plans on playing both sports.

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

#1 Husker Fan
    And it was his brother Darius that got into some trouble. Not Torii Jr.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by SBHusker View Post
    For those wondering, he plans on playing both sports.
    Not sure that works real well, unless you are a punter.

Recruit

Let's say he was set on Nebraska: if he's 2-sporter, would offering him a baseball scholarship even be a possibility? Does a baseball scholarship prevent him from becoming a full member of the football team? Does a football schollie have more benefits? Just wondering if anyone knows why an athlete would prefer one over the other, given he planned on playing both, or if a school could legitimately strategize a schollie like this?

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by ordoona View Post
    Let's say he was set on Nebraska: if he's 2-sporter, would offering him a baseball scholarship even be a possibility? Does a baseball scholarship prevent him from becoming a full member of the football team? Does a football schollie have more benefits? Just wondering if anyone knows why an athlete would prefer one over the other, given he planned on playing both, or if a school could legitimately strategize a schollie like this?
    If he played football he would be counted against thier scholarship numbers. I don't recall how it was explained before, but imagine how many "dual sport" athletes a football team could recruit utilizing other sports schollies.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by ordoona View Post
    If a player plays on the football team, his scholarship counts against the number of football scholarships. You cannot offer him a baseball scholarship to "save" your football scholarships.

Due to the small number of baseball scholarships allowed by the NCAA (11.7 that can be split up and given to up to 30 players), baseball players are rarely, if ever, on a "full" baseball scholarship. So, with that in mind, I guess a football scholarship has "more benefits" in that it is a "full" scholarship as opposed to the "partial" scholarship that a baseball player receives.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

Red Shirt

If any scholarship athlete plays two sports and one is football that player counts against the football numbers for the reasons stated above.

#1 Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by carrolltonsker View Post
    If a player plays on the football team, his scholarship counts against the number of football scholarships. You cannot offer him a baseball scholarship to "save" your football scholarships.

Due to the small number of baseball scholarships allowed by the NCAA, baseball players are rarely, if ever, on a "full" baseball scholarship. So, with that in mind, I guess a football scholarship has "more benefits" in that it is a "full" scholarship as opposed to the "partial" scholarship that a baseball player receives.
    Thanks for clarifying!

Recruit

Thanks for the responses.

Recruit

Due to the small number of baseball scholarships allowed by the NCAA (11.7 that can be split up and given to up to 30 players), baseball players are rarely, if ever, on a "full" baseball scholarship. So, with that in mind, I guess a football scholarship has "more benefits" in that it is a "full" scholarship as opposed to the "partial" scholarship that a baseball player receives.

11.7!!!!!! I knew it was a low number for how many players are on a team, but that is ridiculous. That number needs to be higher.
    "Welcome to the night train." - Hunter S. Thompson

Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    11.7!!!!!! I knew it was a low number for how many players are on a team, but that is ridiculous. That number needs to be higher.
    Maybe more would stay in school if they didn't have to foot most of the bill themselves.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.

Varsity
    Question for the pros and/or "self-proclaim" experts....

In comparison between Hunter and the other young man we just offered (Christy), who is a better prospect based on film.......RR, SB, N2FL, others.....
    Quote Originally Posted by LarstheRed View Post
    I'm not looking for perfection, but you have to feel that every time Bo saw TM about to be interviewed he had to have a serious case of butt clench.

I'd go with Christy....if for no other reason I'm not a big fan of two-sport guys and I think he is a bit better.....but thats me........if I was TH I would be pushing Jr. to play baseball....if nothing else for future health considerations....

Oh and I'm not a pro...nowhere near it....just a fan with hopefully an educated opinion...I try anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post

In comparison between Hunter and the other young man we just offered (Christy), who is a better prospect based on film.......RR, SB, N2FL, others.....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

#1 Husker Fan
    No self proclamation to be an expert by anybody on this board. Just really good at passing information on. I would be happy with either. I have to agree that I think the two sport players seem to not pan out as well. See Khiry Cooper. I agree that I would push my son towards baseball if I could also because of health reasons.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    Probably true. However, for each and every scholarship added for men's athletics, you have to add one for women's sports too.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    I'd go with Christy....if for no other reason I'm not a big fan of two-sport guys and I think he is a bit better.....but thats me........if I was TH I would be pushing Jr. to play baseball....if nothing else for future health considerations....

Oh and I'm not a pro...nowhere near it....just a fan with hopefully an educated opinion...I try anyway...
    Yea, and I was thinking the same. Also with Christy at 6'3" 190, I'm thinking he can and will put on at least 25-30 lbs before taking a snap at D-1 level. He also is recruited by some, not sure if we are, to play DB. Honestly THJ's film didn't impress me much but I only watched it once though.
    I'm not looking for perfection, but you have to feel that every time Bo saw TM about to be interviewed he had to have a serious case of butt clench.

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by SBHusker View Post
    No self proclamation to be an expert by anybody on this board. Just really good at passing information on. I would be happy with either. I have to agree that I think the two sport players seem to not pan out as well. See Khiry Cooper. I agree that I would push my son towards baseball if I could also because of health reasons.
    yea, just a little joke, but I do respect some posters (including yours) opinions as much as the pros.

And I agree on the two sport scenario. The Bo Jacksons are rare for any generation of athletes.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post

I personally like Torii Hunter jr. better than Shelby Christy. I dont like two-sport players for a lot of the same reasons already mentioned; the kid never seems to fulfill his promise in either sport. Perhaps Christy would be the better option because of that, but simply man-for-man, I clearly like Hunter better.

Recruit
    Probably true. However, for each and every scholarship added for men's athletics, you have to add one for women's sports too.
    Fine with me. When you consider a 3 man starting rotation for college baseball, no injuries, no substitutes and no bullpen, you can only field a whole team with .7 of a player left over. In football you get close to 4 deep with scholarships on each side of the ball. If they can make it work for both men and women right now with football getting that many, baseball shouldn't have to be spread so thin.
    "Welcome to the night train." - Hunter S. Thompson