Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Home Run Derby

Husker Fan

Home Run Derby

Tired as hell today and was thinking...maybe I'll watch the home run derby as I doze off on the couch. The I realized that fat fool Berman will probably doing his "back back back" schtick. Nevermind. I'm sure I can find something...ANYTHING....else to watch.

Red Shirt

Berman blows, but the Derby was actually fun. Maybe it was because they were hitting at Kauffman, but I thought it was fairly entertaining, despite Berman. Also loved the fans booing Cano. That was 25 years of pent up frustration for Royals fans coming out at once. MLB is so slanted against the small market teams that even when it comes to hosting the All-Star game, MLB won't let the teams show themselves off a little bit.

Husker Fan

I kept flipping back and forth until Cano had his turn and watched all of his swings. Couldn't stay tuned in after that...wow...Berman isn't getting better that's for sure! I thought the booing of Cano was pretty classless. Who was he supposed to pick? Butler? Over Fielder...one of the top HR hitters in the game? Bautista who had 27? Trumbo who has 22?

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    I kept flipping back and forth until Cano had his turn and watched all of his swings. Couldn't stay tuned in after that...wow...Berman isn't getting better that's for sure! I thought the booing of Cano was pretty classless. Who was he supposed to pick? Butler? Over Fielder...one of the top HR hitters in the game? Bautista who had 27? Trumbo who has 22?
    Why not? It's an exhibition right? So what would the hurt have been had he picked Butler over Trumbo? I see you mentioned HR totals, but surprisingly Butler has more dingers than Fielder. Booing has happened in other All-Star events. Griffey got booed in Colorado, St. Louis fans booed the Cubs rep in 2009, Arizona booed during the Derby last year because their guy wasn't picked for the Derby, etc. Cano just had the misfortune of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Royals fans would have booed Beltran had he been the one who didn't chose Butler. That was years of frustration being under the David Glass regime, and being a 2nd rate organization in the eyes of the MLB front office, coming out.

Sure, KC gets the All-Star game, but only gets 1 rep (which is only the 5th time since 1985 that the host only had 1 rep), and is pretty much punked when it comes to a spotlight event like the Derby. FWIW, Cano is on record saying that the right thing to do, in term of his Derby selections, would be to have a KC guy hitting in his park. Whoops!

KC fans should just be happy to have the opportunity to watch 2 teams with MLB level talent play in the same game @ their stadium.

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawn View Post
    KC fans should just be happy to have the opportunity to watch 2 teams with MLB level talent play in the same game @ their stadium.
    They usually get to watch 1 at most home games!

But really, it's not the fans' fault that David Glass is a pitiful owner for fielding a winning club.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    I thought telling the media that "it's the right thing to do (pick a hometown guy for HR derby)" then not picking him was pretty classless and the!! I don't think anyone thought Billy was going to win, but with a once in a lifetime event in KC it would have been fun to watch him out there. Cano would not have got the treatment he did if he would have never made that statment.

By the way, Butler has more HRs this season than Fielder. Though the Tigers seem to be finding their way, and I'm sure that will change.

towel boy
    Plus George Brett would have been pitching to Butler. That would have been priceless. KC broke all kind of attendance records for events this weekend. The Futures Game Sold Out, 5K Run, Fan Fest... etc. The KC fans showed Glass what kind of baseball town KC is if only he would quit trying to run the team like Wall-Mart. Fun weekend to live here in KC.

I could care less what the coasts think about our hometown fans. Pretty much everybody that came to visit had an incredible time, loved it and even had fun with the boos. If this sparks a change in the rules to include a player from the hometeam to be included in the derby all the better. The prices for the tickets were outrageous. The hometeam fans deserve to see one of there own for the money they just handed over to the MLB this weekend.

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedIggy View Post
    Plus George Brett would have been pitching to Butler. That would have been priceless. KC broke all kind of attendance records for events this weekend. The Futures Game Sold Out, 5K Run, Fan Fest... etc. The KC fans showed Glass what kind of baseball town KC is if only he would quit trying to run the team like Wall-Mart. Fun weekend to live here in KC.

I could care less what the coasts think about our hometown fans. Pretty much everybody that came to visit had an incredible time, loved it and even had fun with the boos. If this sparks a change in the rules to include a player from the hometeam to be included in the derby all the better. The prices for the tickets were outrageous. The hometeam fans deserve to see one of there own for the money they just handed over to the MLB this weekend.
    Agree 100%. In essence, Royals fans were expected to sell-out the stadium, and in return get 1 rep who didn't play the field and got two meaningless at-bats.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    Agree 100%. In essence, Royals fans were expected to sell-out the stadium, and in return get 1 rep who didn't play the field and got two meaningless at-bats.
    That reminds me, what does Michael Jackson and Billy Bulter have in common?

They both were one glove for no reason! (rim shot please)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawn View Post
    WRONG! There is Royals talent all over the MLB.....its just not playing for the Team in KC