Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respected Jurist Driven Away from Conservativism

Hybrid View

Varsity

Respected Jurist Driven Away from Conservativism

Judge Richard Posner was appointed to the bench by former President Ronald Reagan, and has earned a sparkling reputation as a conservative jurist. But Posner, a judge on the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, says the current incarnation of the Republican Party has driven him away from conservatism.

In a candid interview with NPR Thursday, Posner opened up about what he sees as a “real deterioration in conservative thinking” over the last decade.

“I’ve become less conservative since the Republican Party started becoming goofy,” Posner said.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...ref=fpnewsfeed
    hmmm...
    "OK. Appreciate the info." Bo Pelini

OMG! A jurist has become less conservative because he thinks the party started becoming goofy. To think I was going to vote for Romney, thank you Mort.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    hmmm...
    Hmmm indeed. Anecdotal. I'm sure that one can find liberals/Democrats who were highly respected and have gone over to the Republican side. But I won't try to answer anecdotes with anecdotes.

Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    Hmmm indeed. Anecdotal. I'm sure that one can find liberals/Democrats who were highly respected and have gone over to the Republican side. But I won't try to answer anecdotes with anecdotes.
    Haven't read the interview but I can't imagine Judge Posner becoming less conservative. I can imagine him becoming disenchanted with the Republican Party.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

That I agree with based on my own Dad's experience...and no I have not read it either....

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Haven't read the interview but I can't imagine Judge Posner becoming less conservative. I can imagine him becoming disenchanted with the Republican Party.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Blackshirt

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Haven't read it either but agree based on my own experience.
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

Blackshirt
    That's it, the party is dead. Long live Obama.
    I used to have superpowers.....but my therapist took them away...

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ogahusker View Post
    can I use this for sigline?

Quote Originally Posted by Ogahusker View Post
    Comrade!! Welcome aboard.

The good news is you will not be getting a visit from the Obama Loyalty Committee.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    Comrade!! Welcome aboard.

The good news is you will not be getting a visit from the Obama Loyalty Committee.
    But you better get a Father's Day card off to the White House before too long.

All Big 10

I have to say that I feel the same way as Posner, who is truly an intellectual giant in economics and legal theory.

It used to be that I felt the Republican party was more intellectually driven than the democrats, who would sacrifice the intellectually superior position for expediency, particularly in economic matters.

Exceedingly, the Republicans in power today are sacrificing the intellectual position for the ideological one, and the ideology seems to be based on little more than their personal sense of fairness, tradition, and "the right way to do things" regardless of how that plays out in reality.

Neither side seems willing or able to examine problems objectively and make the hard choices about how to correct them.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Neither side seems willing or able to examine problems objectively and make the hard choices about how to correct them.
    On that I'll definitely agree with you. I'm not happy with either party these days, in terms of being able to (as you say) examine things objectively and make the hard choices required.

Varsity
    Of course it is anecdotal. This is a respected conservative thinker that believes that the party has gone off the deep end.

Nothing more. Nothing less. Just interesting fodder for discussion -- if we are willing to look introspectively, of course.
    "OK. Appreciate the info." Bo Pelini

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    Of course it is anecdotal. This is a respected conservative thinker that believes that the party has gone off the deep end.

Nothing more. Nothing less. Just interesting fodder for discussion -- if we are willing to look introspectively, of course.
    yet they are the first to post a person from the left that will do the same thing...and call it devastating to the party

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor.

All Big 10

I think his words about Scalia are spot on... that guy has gone off the reservation.

Posner eviscerates him in this oped:

In his peroration, Justice Scalia says that "Arizona bears the brunt of the country's illegal immigration problem. Its citizens feel themselves under siege by large numbers of illegal immigrant who invade their property, strain their social services, and even place their lives in jeopardy." Arizona bears the brunt? Arizona is only one of the states that border Mexico, and if it succeeds in excluding illegal immigrants, these other states will bear the brunt, so it is unclear what the net gain to society would have been from Arizona's efforts, now partially invalidated by the Supreme Court. But the suggestion that illegal immigrants in Arizona are invading Americans' property, straining their social services, and even placing their lives in jeopardy is sufficiently inflammatory to call for a citation to some reputable source of such hyperbole. Justice Scalia cites nothing to support it.

As of last year there were estimated to be 360,000 illegal immigrants in Arizona, which is less than 6 percent of the Arizona population—below the estimated average illegal immigrant population of the United States. (So much for Arizona's bearing the brunt of illegal immigration.) Maybe Arizona's illegal immigrants are more violent, less respectful of property, worse spongers off social services, and otherwise more obnoxious than the illegal immigrants in other states, but one would like to see some evidence of that.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...igration_.html
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”