Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 145

Thread: Purging Voter Rolls in Florida - Daily Show Analysis

  1. #21
    Junior Varsity cactusboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,258
    Florida purged more than enough voters from polls in 2000 to allow Bush to win, so they have a history of this. They purged lots of excons from out of state that never should have been and it's rather clear it was no accident. I can find a link/s if wanted.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    15.9% African American. 17.4% 65 and older. So, yeah, the voter restriction efforts address at least 10-20% of the Florida electorate.

    http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk
    Only a small percentage of those demographics do not have photo ID's or the means to get one. While I don't support the shortening of the early voting period, it can't be fairly said that this shortening disnfranchises anyone or even makes it materially more difficult to vote.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II


  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusboy View Post
    Florida purged more than enough voters from polls in 2000 to allow Bush to win, so they have a history of this. They purged lots of excons from out of state that never should have been and it's rather clear it was no accident. I can find a link/s if wanted.

    If they committed felonies, then under the Florida constitution their voting rights are withdrawn unless and until they re-apply for the right to vote.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II


  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusboy View Post
    Don't forget how they now have to show voter ID in PA even though "the commonwealth has not documented cases of in-person voter fraud..."

    We all know this is only about winning at any cost and not preventing voter fraud. Just as much as we all understand the "southern strategy" was all about winning at any cost.

    I enjoy how in the Citizens United thread you are more than willing to speculate about the massive corporate funding of Super Pacs, because such funding would be difficult to detect, but here you are willing to accept the absence of documented cases of voter fraud, despite the difficult in detecting it, as definitive evidence that voter ID fraud is not a real problem.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II


  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    I think they should allow fetuses to vote since they are equal to all other humans...hey just sayin.
    Great argument Pops! So fetuses can vote, but children 0-18 cannot vote, and then people older than 18 can vote again. Makes total sense!
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II


  6. #26
    Society Crazy Indeed
    Pops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    45,567
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Great argument Pops! So fetuses can vote, but children 0-18 cannot vote, and then people older than 18 can vote again. Makes total sense!

    Man i'm so sorry your humor button goes off after 8


    I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Man i'm so sorry your humor button goes off after 8
    I was trying to be funny too! (but obviously failing)
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II


  8. #28
    Society Crazy Indeed
    Pops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    45,567
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    I was trying to be funny too! (but obviously failing)

    Long day brother long day...
    peace


    I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Long day brother long day...
    peace
    Hope you have a great weekend my friend.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II


  10. #30
    Scout Team
    johnhoie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    10-20% of the electorate doesn't have ID? How are you over 18 and not have a photo ID?
    I know a couple such people.
    Anyone who says this is not about reducing voter turnout among the poor and minorities is being dishonest. In most states, you could probably count the number of illegals who vote on both hands. The model for voter fraud is stuffing ballot boxes, not getting illegals to vote.
    Most of the states doing this are in the Deep South. The same group that used to have poll taxes and literacy tests (which were only administered to black people). They don't believe in a broad based electorate.

  11. #31
    Scout Team

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,975
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoie View Post
    I know a couple such people.
    Anyone who says this is not about reducing voter turnout among the poor and minorities is being dishonest. In most states, you could probably count the number of illegals who vote on both hands. The model for voter fraud is stuffing ballot boxes, not getting illegals to vote.
    Most of the states doing this are in the Deep South. The same group that used to have poll taxes and literacy tests (which were only administered to black people). They don't believe in a broad based electorate.
    I guess now to stuff the ballot box they will have to get lots of fake ids

  12. #32
    Junior Varsity cactusboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,258
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    If they committed felonies, then under the Florida constitution their voting rights are withdrawn unless and until they re-apply for the right to vote.
    Pretty sure that doesn't apply to those that committed or served out of state.

  13. #33
    Junior Varsity cactusboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,258
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    I enjoy how in the Citizens United thread you are more than willing to speculate about the massive corporate funding of Super Pacs, because such funding would be difficult to detect, but here you are willing to accept the absence of documented cases of voter fraud, despite the difficult in detecting it, as definitive evidence that voter ID fraud is not a real problem.
    Well let's look at this rationally What's the cost/benefit analysis of someone committing voter fraud? Risking a felony for one extra vote for your guy? How much would someone pay a person to do this? Then look at the same in regards to corps and/or their officers funding super pacs.

  14. #34
    Scout Team

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,975
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusboy View Post
    Well let's look at this rationally What's the cost/benefit analysis of someone committing voter fraud? Risking a felony for one extra vote for your guy? How much would someone pay a person to do this? Then look at the same in regards to corps and/or their officers funding super pacs.
    Ask ACORN

  15. #35
    Ayyy!
    huskrthill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Posts
    37,272
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoie View Post
    I know a couple such people.
    Anyone who says this is not about reducing voter turnout among the poor and minorities is being dishonest. In most states, you could probably count the number of illegals who vote on both hands. The model for voter fraud is stuffing ballot boxes, not getting illegals to vote.
    Most of the states doing this are in the Deep South. The same group that used to have poll taxes and literacy tests (which were only administered to black people). They don't believe in a broad based electorate.
    I resent this kind of attitude. I support measures to reduce voter fraud, such as requiring an ID to vote. I don't really care if someone has 7 days or 14 days to vote. Either way, it's still plenty of time. Those of us that support these measures aren't racists and don't want to prevent certain blocs of eligible people from voting.

    You show how misinformed you are on the subject when you say that most of the states doing this are in the Deep South. Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Hawaii, Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Rhode Island... these are states not in the "Deep South" require some form of identification in order to vote.

    In all, 31 states require some sort of identification at the polling place. Hardly a "Deep South" phenomenon.

  16. #36
    Rebel Alliance
    FLA4NEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central FLA
    Posts
    16,153
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    I resent this kind of attitude. I support measures to reduce voter fraud, such as requiring an ID to vote. I don't really care if someone has 7 days or 14 days to vote. Either way, it's still plenty of time. Those of us that support these measures aren't racists and don't want to prevent certain blocs of eligible people from voting.

    You show how misinformed you are on the subject when you say that most of the states doing this are in the Deep South. Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Hawaii, Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Rhode Island... these are states not in the "Deep South" require some form of identification in order to vote.

    In all, 31 states require some sort of identification at the polling place. Hardly a "Deep South" phenomenon.
    I agree thill, Johns post came across as bigoted as well.

    I have lived in the north an lived in the south...while I won't deny there is racism in the south I actually ran into more racist while living up north. The north also has a bad case of high minded people that look down on the poor and "under educated" as well. You really only get that down here from northern transplants. (I heard the n-word used more in casual convert action living in NJ than any other state..I can count on one hand the number of times I have heard it living in FL).

    This thread is based on a clip from a clown show...people need to get better sources for their outrage than those that build their career around being outrageous.
    As government gets bigger people get smaller

  17. #37
    Scout Team
    johnhoie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    I resent this kind of attitude. I support measures to reduce voter fraud, such as requiring an ID to vote. I don't really care if someone has 7 days or 14 days to vote. Either way, it's still plenty of time. Those of us that support these measures aren't racists and don't want to prevent certain blocs of eligible people from voting.

    You show how misinformed you are on the subject when you say that most of the states doing this are in the Deep South. Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Hawaii, Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Rhode Island... these are states not in the "Deep South" require some form of identification in order to vote.

    In all, 31 states require some sort of identification at the polling place. Hardly a "Deep South" phenomenon.
    Resent away.
    The Deep South states are the ones into voter purges.
    And no one has yet shown more than a literal handful of illegal aliens voting in any election. The purpose of purging the rolls shortly before an election is to wash out poor and Hispanic voters. Same thing with cutting the early voting period.

  18. #38
    Scout Team
    johnhoie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,476
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    I agree thill, Johns post came across as bigoted as well.

    I have lived in the north an lived in the south...while I won't deny there is racism in the south I actually ran into more racist while living up north. The north also has a bad case of high minded people that look down on the poor and "under educated" as well. You really only get that down here from northern transplants. (I heard the n-word used more in casual convert action living in NJ than any other state..I can count on one hand the number of times I have heard it living in FL).

    This thread is based on a clip from a clown show...people need to get better sources for their outrage than those that build their career around being outrageous.
    Ah, the reverse bigot argument.
    I lived in Louisiana for 9 years, Florida and Virginia for 4 years each, and currently live in that beacon of enlightenment( though not technically a southern state), Arizona. I've been exposed to the mentality.
    Can you honestly say the flipping of the Deep South from Democratic to Republican in the mid-60s was based on general political differences, and not on the Democratic-sponsored Civil Rights Act of 1964?

  19. #39
    Scout Team

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,975
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoie View Post
    Resent away.
    The Deep South states are the ones into voter purges.
    And no one has yet shown more than a literal handful of illegal aliens voting in any election. The purpose of purging the rolls shortly before an election is to wash out poor and Hispanic voters. Same thing with cutting the early voting period.

    If you think the problem is only illegal aliens, then you might be misguided. What I see as the bigger issue in voter fraud - when Mickey Mouse is voting, or a felon is voting (you can argue whether or not a felon should be allowed to vote in a different thread), or dead people are suddenly voting, or cases where people sign up multiple times....that is the issue. This isn't targeted at illegals.

    http://rottenacorn.com/activityMap.html

    http://www.wnd.com/2011/09/344577/

    http://pjmedia.com/blog/the-complete...n-voter-fraud/

  20. #40
    Scout Team

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,975
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhoie View Post
    Ah, the reverse bigot argument.
    I lived in Louisiana for 9 years, Florida and Virginia for 4 years each, and currently live in that beacon of enlightenment( though not technically a southern state), Arizona. I've been exposed to the mentality.
    Can you honestly say the flipping of the Deep South from Democratic to Republican in the mid-60s was based on general political differences, and not on the Democratic-sponsored Civil Rights Act of 1964?
    I lived in Arkansas for 18 months. I would consider it one of the more "Democratic" states. Big into welfare - that is practically what runs the state. Also big into racism - both ways. The town of 15,000 that I lived in had a whites-only bar and two blacks-only clubs. And here I grew up hearing that Kansas was a racist state, ha.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •