Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purging Voter Rolls in Florida - Daily Show Analysis

Travel Squad

Purging Voter Rolls in Florida - Daily Show Analysis

A comedic take on a possibly comedic series of legislative acts in Florida:

The Daily Show with Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
    Purge Overkill
    www.thedailyshow.com
    Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogThe Daily Show on Facebook
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Travel Squad
    I guess this doesn't worry anybody. I am far from a conspiracy theorist, but put together, the Voter ID requirement, shortened voting window, discontinuation of Sunday voting, and 48-hour registration requirement seem pretty clearly indicative of voter suppression.

At the very least, it is the antonym of increased participation.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Blackshirt

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    I guess this doesn't worry anybody. I am far from a conspiracy theorist, but put together, the Voter ID requirement, shortened voting window, discontinuation of Sunday voting, and 48-hour registration requirement seem pretty clearly indicative of voter suppression.

At the very least, it is the antonym of increased participation.
    Agreed. What is the end game of attempting to shrink the electorate (or at least selected portions of it)? I think everyone knows but many will refuse to admit it.
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

Scout Team

So we would rather undermine the legitimacy of our election process than require individuals to prove who they are?

Blackshirt

Quote Originally Posted by twokgrad View Post
    So we would rather undermine the legitimacy of our election process than require individuals to prove who they are?
    We have been down this road before in numerous threads. Note Husker Mort was not just referring to photo ID requirements.
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

Travel Squad
    Absolutely. If it means alienating 10-20% of the electorate in order to "protect" against the .0004% of fraud. I am really impressed that you guys maintain such a consistent party line, though.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    We have been down this road before in numerous threads. Note Husker Mort was not just referring to photo ID requirements.
    If we've been down this road before in numerous threads, why are you posting in this one? Why did Mort start it?

Heisman

Absolutely. If it means alienating 10-20% of the electorate in order to "protect" against the .0004% of fraud. I am really impressed that you guys maintain such a consistent party line, though.
    Hyperbole much? 10 -20% now, huh?

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    Hyperbole much? 10 -20% now, huh?
    15.9% African American. 17.4% 65 and older. So, yeah, the voter restriction efforts address at least 10-20% of the Florida electorate.

http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

Travel Squad

15.9% African American. 17.4% 65 and older. So, yeah, the voter restriction efforts address at least 10-20% of the Florida electorate.

Don't forget the Hispanic.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Don't forget the Hispanic.

that could add up to billions

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Heisman

And why do you think that picture ID and the other things you mentioned address those specific groups? I know a number in both groups, and they have no more difficulty in meeting those requirements than whites who are younger than 65. Are you saying those groups are more likely to commit voting fraud, or what?

Husker Fan

10-20% of the electorate doesn't have ID? How are you over 18 and not have a photo ID?

Husker Fan

THere's no reason why you should not have to prove who you are when you go to vote. No ID? Tough. If you want to vote go get a state ID if you don't want a driver's license of have had your's taken away. It's not too much to ask of someone who wants to take part in the democratic process.

Society Crazy Indeed
    I think they should allow fetuses to vote since they are equal to all other humans...hey just sayin.

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    I do agree with you (Warhorse) and Mort that shortening the voting window and such would reduce the number of voters. I only took exception to the photo ID requirement, which after re-reading I didn't make that distinction.

I have to admit that I am not as knowledgeable as I would like on the photo ID laws that some of the states have - do they require some sort of photocopy to be submitted with advanced ballots?

I looked up how much a photo id costs in my current state of Texas, where I believe they did pass a voter id law not too long ago...for seniors, it's $6....for indefinitely. For those under 60, it's much more pricey - $16, expiring every 6 years.

Let's assume for a minute that your quote of "0.0004% of fraud" is correct. I would argue one main counterpoint - just because it is not widespread does not mean it isn't impactful. What matters is when there are enough votes pooled in one decisive location. Why would anyone stuff the box on elections where the district is clearly Democrat, or clearly Republican? There is no payoff in that. So for a vast majority of votes throughout the nation, it is unlikely to occur. Where the efforts are focused, is where that activity can actually make a difference.

Your statement is akin to saying "Because the North Vietnamese have 1% of the training and technology as the US, they will be no problem" or any other military analogy where guerrilla warfare was demonstrated to effectively decimate the "superior" force.

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    And why do you think that picture ID and the other things you mentioned address those specific groups? I know a number in both groups, and they have no more difficulty in meeting those requirements than whites who are younger than 65. Are you saying those groups are more likely to commit voting fraud, or what?
    African American churches have traditionally done a group march from Sunday service straight to the polls. That is no longer possible when Sunday early voting was eliminated.
    The other group that utilizes early voting (which was reduced from 14 to 7 days)? Seniors over 65.

Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    10-20% of the electorate doesn't have ID? How are you over 18 and not have a photo ID?
    Nope. Several of them do like to vote early, on Sunday, or get registered by a third party (that now has less than 48 hours to file).

Let's just be clear. Florida may want to have the most secure elections in the country -- but let's not also believe their rhetoric about it not effecting turnout. Fortunately, for the GOP, it will most affect those that least support their agenda.

Travel Squad
    I do agree with you (Warhorse) and Mort that shortening the voting window and such would reduce the number of voters. I only took exception to the photo ID requirement, which after re-reading I didn't make that distinction.

I have to admit that I am not as knowledgeable as I would like on the photo ID laws that some of the states have - do they require some sort of photocopy to be submitted with advanced ballots?

I looked up how much a photo id costs in my current state of Texas, where I believe they did pass a voter id law not too long ago...for seniors, it's $6....for indefinitely. For those under 60, it's much more pricey - $16, expiring every 6 years.

Let's assume for a minute that your quote of "0.0004% of fraud" is correct. I would argue one main counterpoint - just because it is not widespread does not mean it isn't impactful. What matters is when there are enough votes pooled in one decisive location. Why would anyone stuff the box on elections where the district is clearly Democrat, or clearly Republican? There is no payoff in that. So for a vast majority of votes throughout the nation, it is unlikely to occur. Where the efforts are focused, is where that activity can actually make a difference.

Your statement is akin to saying "Because the North Vietnamese have 1% of the training and technology as the US, they will be no problem" or any other military analogy where guerrilla warfare was demonstrated to effectively decimate the "superior" force.
    Worst. Analogy. Ever.

Junior Varsity
    Don't forget how they now have to show voter ID in PA even though "the commonwealth has not documented cases of in-person voter fraud..."

We all know this is only about winning at any cost and not preventing voter fraud. Just as much as we all understand the "southern strategy" was all about winning at any cost.

Junior Varsity
    A comedic take on a possibly comedic series of legislative acts in Florida:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tu...purge-overkill

click on share on the daily show clip and copy/paste the embed code.