Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moonrise Kingdom - New Wes Anderson movie

Junior Varsity

Moonrise Kingdom - New Wes Anderson movie

Wes Anderson is awesome to have as a movie maker. Even if you don't "get" all or any of his movies and/or insist your comedies have "big laughs". Bottle Rocket is still one of my all time fav movies.

94% critic and 92% viewer rating on RT. Certified Fre fre fre fre fresh. (Ali G voice)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/moonrise_kingdom/

Intellectual Patriot
    Its just Dignan being Dignan
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

saw it a few weeks ago...It was ok...but he has done better...I didnt like following kids around for 70% of the movie

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by mjw11 View Post
    saw it a few weeks ago...It was ok...but he has done better...I didnt like following kids around for 70% of the movie
    I haven't seen it but plan to. Actually I've never seen a W.A. movie in the theater now that I think of it...although I've seen them all.

Junior Varsity

What's your fav Wes Anderson movies? Mine are...

1 - Bottle Rocket
    2 - Fantastic Mr Fox
    3 - The Royal Tenenbaums

Actually I should watch the rest again before going further. I just watched Tenenbaums again and liked it better the 2nd time. I have Rushmore and Darjeeling Limited in my Netflix queue now.

Intellectual Patriot
    I used to love it when he would catch Beavis and Butthead in his shed.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by cactusboy View Post
    What's your fav Wes Anderson movies? Mine are...

1 - Bottle Rocket
    2 - Fantastic Mr Fox
    3 - The Royal Tenenbaums

Actually I should watch the rest again before going further. I just watched Tenenbaums again and liked it better the 2nd time. I have Rushmore and Darjeeling Limited in my Netflix queue now.
    1. Tenenbaums
    2. Rushmore
    3. Darjeeling
    4. Moonrise

Haven't seen Bottle (or even heard of it). I will get it soon, now. Thanks for the tip.
    My family has talked about getting Fantastic Fox many times, but always gone a different direction. Have to see that one soon, too.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

cb, you haven't seen Rushmore yet? That's my favorite by a mile. FMF is great, Darjeeling was better than I expected it to be, Tennanbaums I thought was a little spotty, Life Aquatic was very spotty (although hilarious to see him doing 'action scenes'). I only saw Bottle Rocket once and I remember finding it to be pretty dull up until the end, and that the heist itself was hilarious. Probably won't see Moonrise until it's out on video but I look forward to it.

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    1. Tenenbaums
    2. Rushmore
    3. Darjeeling
    4. Moonrise

Haven't seen Bottle (or even heard of it). I will get it soon, now. Thanks for the tip.
    My family has talked about getting Fantastic Fox many times, but always gone a different direction. Have to see that one soon, too.
    Bottle Rocket was the first one. Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson wrote it along w/ the next two...Rushmore and Tenenbaums. WA directed them. Great film that most haven't heard of. I discovered it when I worked at Blockbuster in college. That was the best part of that job...besides the flexible schedule...being able to check out movies you'd never do if you had to pay. Free video game rentals was cool too.

Bottle Rocket
    By Martin Scorsese

A couple of years ago, I watched a film called Bottle Rocket. I knew nothing about it, and the movie really took me by surprise. Here was a picture without a trace of cynicism, that obviously grew out of its director’s affection for his char**acters in particular and for people in general. A rarity. And the central idea of the film is so delicate, so human: a group of young guys think that their lives have to be filled with risk and danger in order to be real. They don’t know that it’s okay simply to be who they are.

Wes Anderson, at age thirty, has a very special kind of talent: he knows how to convey the simple joys and interactions between people so well and with such richness. This kind of sensibility is rare in movies. Leo McCarey, the director of Make Way for Tomorrow and The Awful Truth, comes to mind. And so does Jean Renoir. I remember seeing Renoir’s films as a child and immediately feeling connected to the characters through his love for them. It’s the same with Anderson. I’ve found myself going back and watching Bottle Rocket several times. I’m also very fond of his second film, Rushmore (1998)—it has the same tenderness, the same kind of grace. Both of them are very funny, but also very moving.

Anderson has a fine sense of how music works against an image. There’s the beautiful ending of Rushmore, when Miss Cross removes Max Fischer’s glasses and gazes into the boy’s eyes—really the eyes of her dead husband—as the Faces’ “Ooh La La” plays on the soundtrack. And I also love the scene in Bottle Rocket when Owen Wilson’s character, Dignan, says, “They’ll never catch me, man, ’cause I’m ********in’ innocent.” Then he runs off to save one of his partners in crime and gets captured by the police, over “2000 Man” by the Rolling Stones. He—and the music—are proclaiming who he really is: he’s not innocent in the eyes of the law, but he’s truly an innocent. For me, it’s a transcendent moment. And transcendent moments are in short supply these days.

This tribute originally appeared in the March 2000 issue of Esquire.
    http://www.criterion.com/current/******...-bottle-rocket

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    cb, you haven't seen Rushmore yet? That's my favorite by a mile. FMF is great, Darjeeling was better than I expected it to be, Tennanbaums I thought was a little spotty, Life Aquatic was very spotty (although hilarious to see him doing 'action scenes'). I only saw Bottle Rocket once and I remember finding it to be pretty dull up until the end, and that the heist itself was hilarious. Probably won't see Moonrise until it's out on video but I look forward to it.
    I have, but only once and when it first game out on DVD. I don't remember much of it. I do remember I was disappointed in it compared to BR though. But like many movies it could be better the 2nd time you watch it. Also, WA films are not good to multitask to while watching. You'll miss out on too many small, quirky, dry humor moments.

"how did an ************ like Bob get such a great kitchen?"

dang the filter ruins it a bit. "****" = donkeyhole. (is that ok?)

All Big 10

"One morning, over at Elizabeth's beach house, she asked me if I'd rather go water-skiing or lay out. And I realized that not only did I not want to answer THAT question, but I never wanted to answer another water-sports question, or see any of these people again for the rest of my life. Three days later I was on my way out to the desert, that was that."

"You're really complicated aren't you."

"I try not to be."

Classic.

"We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

All Big 10

My motivational monday morning watch:

"We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

I'm down for anything with Bill Murray in it.

Junior Varsity

"Did you see what he had on?"

"Yeah, it was pretty cool."

Also classic. Like I said, no big laughs, but lots of

Varsity
    I saw it the other day. It was a good film. Not quite what I expected but it was entertaining.