Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Schick is the new co-host of Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Red Shirt

Matt Schick is the new co-host of Unsportsmanlike Conduct

He will join Mike'l Severe.

I have to say I am saddened by this choice. I have nothing against Matt Schick but both him and Mike'l our "outsiders" so to speak in terms of Husker football.

One nice thing about USC is Kevin was a complete homer. Severe complemented that nicely by bring him down to earth.

Husker football is the most important and omnipresent topic on sports radio in Nebraska and it is important to have people talking about it who have a passion for it.

Husker Fan

I wouldn't call Kugler a complete homer. To me that term is synonymous with rose colored shades...can't be critical, won't point out flaws, etc. Obviously, he's a UNL grad so he certainly had a rooting interest but I think he did a good job of not making it's blantantly obvious.

Schick is absolutely horrific in the moring. This is a really unfortunate development for Omaha sports talk radio. To say he sucks is an understatement. I like severe even though he isn't an NU fan...he knows the game and tells it like it is for the most part. I wish Benning would have been an option. He obviously knows football, knows nebraska and has a good grasp on other sports. Of course, he has another job too.

This is pretty much the death of local sports talk in Omaha. The 590 show is not good at all. It's better since they got rid of Pedey Mac but it's still not good.

Bummer.

Husker Immortal
    Only good thing about this is Schick won't stay long - he's too driven and he's a Buffalo.

Husker Immortal
    Wonder what happens to Schick and Nick in the morning?

JV All-Star
    I dunno, I think he's entertaining ...funny at times, wasn't he a Colorado grad? I think schick does a good job "morphing" with whoever hes on with. Unfortunately, hes been with a giggly, i just wanna talk basketball nick bahe for awhile. I think he'll do just fine with USC.

Who would yall of liked to see in that slot as well? I think he's a natural fit
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer View Post
    Only good thing about this is Schick won't stay long - he's too driven and he's a Buffalo.
    He's been in Nebraska for over a decade. Wouldn't he have bolted by now if "drive" or a love of CU was going to have that much of an impact on his career choices?

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    He's been in Nebraska for over a decade. Wouldn't he have bolted by now if "drive" or a love of CU was going to have that much of an impact on his career choices?
    Yeah...if he's that driven then being stuck in Nebraska for 10 years, the last several of which doing a 2nd rate comedy act in the morning, shows that his amition isn't translating to much.

Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Yeah...if he's that driven then being stuck in Nebraska for 10 years, the last several of which doing a 2nd rate comedy act in the morning, shows that his amition isn't translating to much.
    Leaving television for AM radio at that... if he's driven towards bigger and better things he's going in the wrong direction

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by II HUSKERS II View Post
    I dunno, I think he's entertaining ...funny at times, wasn't he a Colorado grad? I think schick does a good job "morphing" with whoever hes on with. Unfortunately, hes been with a giggly, i just wanna talk basketball nick bahe for awhile. I think he'll do just fine with USC.

Who would yall of liked to see in that slot as well? I think he's a natural fit
    If Severe was staying (and I like him, he tells it like it is and seems to have good football knowledge) I would have liked to see someone local, obviously. Someone like Benning would have been awesome because he would bring instant Husker football passion. You need to get someone who knows football, has some deference to Nebraska and who can talk about everything else. It is a though gig and Kevin did a good job covering every sport.

Who gives a crap? I do!!
    Time will tell if this works out for 1620. Ratings will tell all and if they drop with Schtick they will dump him faster than NBC dumped Ann Curry. IMO they should have tested several people over a period of time to see who got the best ratings. I listen to Mike and Mike on the morning drive and USC on the evening commute home. I frankly would have preferred Benning. Who knows, maybe Schtick was being held back by the antics of Bahe (who is simply a clown).

I'll give him a chance and if it doesn't work for me, guess I'll check out 1180 for the drive home...
    Your threads are...FOR ME TO POOP ON!

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HawthorneHusker View Post
    Time will tell if this works out for 1620. Ratings will tell all and if they drop with Schtick they will dump him faster than NBC dumped Ann Curry. IMO they should have tested several people over a period of time to see who got the best ratings. I listen to Mike and Mike on the morning drive and USC on the evening commute home. I frankly would have preferred Benning. Who knows, maybe Schtick was being held back by the antics of Bahe (who is simply a clown).

I'll give him a chance and if it doesn't work for me, guess I'll check out 1180 for the drive home...
    Schick has always fancied himself a comedian so it's not just Bahe that was "holding him back". I believe schick made quite a few "funny" segments when he was (or still is?) with KETV. Combined with Bahe...that show was unlistenable.

Who gives a crap? I do!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Schick has always fancied himself a comedian so it's not just Bahe that was "holding him back". I believe schick made quite a few "funny" segments when he was (or still is?) with KETV. Combined with Bahe...that show was unlistenable.
    He was very proud of his "Carlfense" segment. Never found that bit funny.
    Your threads are...FOR ME TO POOP ON!

Quote Originally Posted by HawthorneHusker View Post
    He was very proud of his "Carlfense" segment. Never found that bit funny.
    They actually sold those shirts at the Nebraska Bookstore in 2008. I have one, it's not likely to come out of the closet anymore now that Carl has moved on though.

JV All-Star
    Personally, i dont look at it as a Nebeaska football show. So having Husker ties isnt important to me. I always felt that benning while insightful sometimes, has a weak voice for radio....not really something i care to listen to day after day
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

Starter
    Kugler will be better suited to be a play by play guy, IMO. I predict he's going on to a lucrative career.

Mik'l is a phenomenal interviewer when he's allowed to do so, and can put on a very informative program, BUT - most radio stations appear to want a "shock jock" mentality that attracts attention, even ticks people off sometimes. I suppose Schick can bring that to 1620. Won't be to my ears for very long if he continues with the same antics from the a.m. show. It really depends upon what 1620 wants in USC. Heck, the title alone suggests quite a bit...
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red