Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quiz: What does the U.S. have in common with the following countries?

Travel Squad
    I look forward to the day when the Pro-life crowd is ALSO anti-capital punishment.

And vociferously defends the taking of life at both ends of the spectrum.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    I look forward to the day when the Pro-life crowd is ALSO anti-capital punishment.

"The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Of course, I also look forward to the day that people who are anti-capital punishment see the value of defending innocent human life at the beginning of the spectrum in addition to the generally evil human beings they are defending at the other end of the spectrum.

In any event, your point is well-taken. People should consistently defend the sanctity of life in all its forms, and should abhor the taking of human life whenever it occurs. Which is why I am both pro-life on abortion and anti-capital punishment.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Of course, I also look forward to the day that people who are anti-capital punishment see the value of defending innocent human life at the beginning of the spectrum in addition to the generally evil human beings they are defending at the other end of the spectrum.

In any event, your point is well-taken. People should consistently defend the sanctity of life in all its forms, and should abhor the taking of human life whenever it occurs. Which is why I am both pro-life on abortion and anti-capital punishment.
    Completely consistent position that I can support and respect.

I think the nation could collectively arrive at a pretty good compromise that would put both issues to bed if not for politicians needing the wedge issues.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

I think the nation could collectively arrive at a pretty good compromise that would put both issues to bed if not for politicians needing the wedge issues.
    That's so true of many issues in this country.

Seems like that sentiment applies to a little bit more than just abortion and the death penalty.

And by "a little bit", I mean every issue ever.

That's so true of many issues in this country.
    Beat me to it.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    You mean like drug offenders in Iran?

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/...ly_500_drug_of

yes just like that

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Yeah, this is pretty traditional Catholic position.

Society Crazy Indeed

I'm pro choice and pro capital punishment ....so i can defend both side of the spectrum

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Rebel Alliance
    I support capital punishment (but in a much more diminished role than we have in most states today). I personally think we execute way to many people and should be focused on extreme violations of specific crimes.

Saying that no one has been able to tell me what crime a baby (fetus) committed to warrant the sanction of being killed.
    “Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing himself.” - Leo Tolstoy

Rebel Alliance
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    I'm pro choice and pro capital punishment ....so i can defend both side of the spectrum
    Kill 'em all Pops
    “Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing himself.” - Leo Tolstoy

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    Bush caused all their problems?
    I'm not all the way on your bandwagon on this theme, but I thought this remark was funny as hell.

Rebel Alliance
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    I'm not all the way on your bandwagon on this theme, but I thought this remark was funny as hell.
    Well, I blame Bush for you not being all the way on my bandwagon!

It IS Bush's fault.

All Legend
    You would be right.

All Legend
    I had the same answer as Nishi, not the extra credit one Chi was looking for.

I have no problem with capital punishment if it is fairly administered. And I actually don't care that we are in such "esteemed company", nor do I think that fact says anything useful about the debate. No offense to those who do.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Kill 'em all Pops

hey its this country that taught me that!

pro-life and pro-capital punishment are not incongruent postitions. The taking of an innocent life is much different than taking the life of a hardened, anti-social criminal.

Hypothetically speaking, I'm OK with a death penalty. There are some people who truly relinquish their right to be among the human race with their actions, I do believe that. The problem lies within it being administered by a court system that ultimately doesn't give a fair shake to a lot of low-income suspects, and from the prosecutor's side is geared more towards getting the W than finding out the truth. It's somewhat heartening that DNA evidence is now clearing people, and probably will clear many more in the future, but if even one innocent man is put to death--and we know it's been more than that over the years--then the system has a very fatal flaw and executions should cease, IMHO.