Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Death Penalty for Penn State

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    At a minimum they should also and will pay massive civil damages. I hope they are outrageous, because I expect that is the only signficant consequence actually available.
    No doubt.. they will pay dearly

Quote Originally Posted by jikastew View Post
    Everyone involved is gone. No boosters/alumni were involved. Why bust down a school when everyone who had anything to do with the situation is gone with no possibility of a repeat offense? Doing so would punish those who had nothing to do with the situation.
    I think there's a much bigger whale than sanduskey and Penn state. Who payed all that money to second mile and Penn state, and what did they get for it.

Recruit

back from Sao Paulo, now Tucson and Raleigh
    I don't want to belabor this because I care much, much more about the great year the Huskers are having in recuriting and in getting ready for the season. Nevertheless, I do not understand the opinion that this is not an NCAA issue. We are talking about a football coach, an AD, a former assistant coach, and an university athletic facility. The analogy is to argue that when a priest molested an alter boy it was a criminal and civil issue, and the church had no role in resolving the issue. Really? The 100,000 fans who came to beaver stadium had no expectation of the moral standing of their head coach? Really? Well, we have different views, except for the Huskers. GBR

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Thank you for pointing it out. The lack of control thing is, apparently, widely misunderstood. The NCAA would have to do some twisting to make this an NCAA rules violation.
    From what I heard on the radio earlier tonight sounds like some think the NCAA COULD make it something they could twist sufficiently to bring some heat...

Starter
    From what I heard on the radio earlier tonight sounds like some think the NCAA COULD make it something they could twist sufficiently to bring some heat...
    I'll be surprised if there is not an attempt. Regulating is what they do...sort of like the U.S. congress getting after steroids in baseball...makework for bureaucrats.
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Weinosker View Post
    I think the "lack of institutional control" card is at play here. Although, I don't think it'll come to that, I do think the NCAA will do something.

And, here's why:

--Did Penn State have something to lose by this news coming to light? (Yes they did, as shown by the current negative PR, civil suits, etc.)

--Therefore, did Penn State's athletic department and football program have something to gain by keeping this a secret? (Yes)

--In doing so (keeping it a secret), was criminal behavior allowed and were people harmed? (Yes)

I don't see how the NCAA could get away without addressing this in some way.

I agree with what you are saying. I don't see how the NCAA can keep from having some type of sanctions put against PSU for what they allowed to happen inside their football program. The key here, is that PSU officials allowed illegal things to happen inside their football program during the course of many years without ever doing anything about it. They were protecting their program illegally. I just don't see how sanctions cannot be put against them.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by AzHusker View Post
    I'll be surprised if there is not an attempt. Regulating is what they do...sort of like the U.S. congress getting after steroids in baseball...makework for bureaucrats.
    God don't get me started...I had a whole rant ready to go with that Clemens "perjury" thing and forgot to post it...talk about a colossal waste of money. I'm still trying to figure out what Congress was doing giving a rat's *** about 'roids in baseball.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    Hey....if their program gets hit big, then it's a good thing that they're our cross division rival....pencil in those "W"s
    Oh man... guaranteed conference W's.... Huskers could use those

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    Hey....if their program gets hit big, then it's a good thing that they're our cross division rival....pencil in those "W"s
    Instead of "W's", it could be "Byes".
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

towel boy
    All these issues and yet they are still doing surprisingly well in recruiting this year. What in the world are these kids thinking? I understand the vast majority of the kids are local and it was probably a lifelong dream of theirs to play for PSU but good grief open your eyes. Oh well... their choice. It will be interesting to see if any bail as civil suits start pouring in and PR continues to spiral downward. Maybe they feel it's as bad as its going to get and things have to go up from here.

I know a couple PSU grads and you can't say anything to them bad about PSU or the team and definitely not about JoePa (still). I guess most of the local recruits have that same blind loyalty.

All Big 10
    I really don't think it's a good idea for the NCAA to get involved. They should stick to enforcing their specific rules. The NCAA's authority applies to college athletics. This was much bigger than whether or not a school cheated recruiting, or took one too many assistants on the bowl trip.

There are plenty of laws in place to deal with what happened here. Let the big boys - the police and the criminal and civil courts - deal with this. They know what they are doing.

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by jikastew View Post
    Everyone involved is gone. No boosters/alumni were involved. Why bust down a school when everyone who had anything to do with the situation is gone with no possibility of a repeat offense? Doing so would punish those who had nothing to do with the situation.
    If you're talking about the NCAA, I agree with you. But the criminal courts need to bust down the administrators involved and then then the civil courts need to wallop the institution with very large damages. This was a systemic crime with full awareness by more or less the three (almost certainly) or four (probably) top administrators of a very large and wealthy institution. They need to do more than get those guys out and then go on as if nothing happened. These guys had the full faith and backing of the board and the collective constituency of the institution, so at the end of the day, the entire University enabled them.

This is more like damages paid by an asbestos company to workers it should have told would get mesothelioma, long after the original management of the company has been removed. The company as a whole is liable. Both as compensation to the victims and as a lesson for other institutions, those damages should be big.