Get HuskerMaxô on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Update: Arsenal Close To Signing Clint Dempsey

Update: Arsenal Close To Signing Clint Dempsey

This is where I thought he might end up....with a year left on his contract and his age 29....that is a pretty hefty fee and a nice pay raise...normally when a player hits 30 the transfer fees come down a considerable amount for obvious reasons....

Will be interesting to see where this goes if anywhere....transfer market opens Sunday....

Dempsey has been very clear about his desire to play in the Champions League Ė something Arsenal can offer him immediately and Liverpool cannot. And with Dempsey and his family already being settled in London, a move to Liverpool seems less than appealing. But the financial details, if true, certainly put it over the top.

Itís understood Fulham now want £5m because of the amount of interest in their forward.
    The target man currently earns a reported £40,000 a week at Craven Cottage and Arsenal are prepared to increase it closer to £75,000 a week to steal a march on Liverpool.

As New York Times soccer writer John Godfrey counts it, thatís $6 million a season for the US superstar.
    http://www.transferwatch.com/2012/06...etails-emerge/
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Scout Team
    Almost double the weekly play...I might start actually watching EPL if he signs with Arsenal, sorta my fav EPL club, but I never keep up with them

If he does go to Arsenal, I hope they play him regularly. Nothing I hate more than an American who just sits on the bench in the EPL. That shouldn't be the case for Dempsey, as hopefully he's no longer viewed as "good for an American" by the top clubs.

He will play regular...one of the top 15-20 players in the league..proven....unlike coming straight from MLS...

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    If he does go to Arsenal, I hope they play him regularly. Nothing I hate more than an American who just sits on the bench in the EPL. That shouldn't be the case for Dempsey, as hopefully he's no longer viewed as "good for an American" by the top clubs.

Looks like he is going to Arsenal with a guarantee of playing time which United and Chelsea would not promise....they wanted him as a squad player....good move on his part not to accept those moves...

Twitter today has again exploded at the prospect of another transfer. An account more akin to an ITK announced that Arsenal were in talks with Clint Dempsey and all that’s left is for an official transfer bid to be made.

Here are the quotes from @sport_trend:

#ARSENAL‬: Clint Dempsey will choose Arsenal ahead of‪#Manchester‬‬ United & ‪#Chelsea‬‬ based on a guaranteed playing time, his agent confirmed

#ARSENAL‬: Dempsey’s agent had met with trio clubs on separate occasions before player made his decision. A bid & Fulham’s response next.
    You may be thinking that it’s only twitter rumours but quite a few of the reliable tweeters have called SportTrend as reliable. They have been one of the first reporters to announce the Podolski and Giroud deal. We also know that they are made up of a collective group of different journalists working in 8 countries (rather than a fat sweaty 15 year old pretending to be an ITK).
    http://justarsenal.com/arsenal-close...-dempsey/14429

Just waiting for an acceptable bid from Aresnal....