Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Billy Callahan vs. Bo Pelini Recruiting

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy44 View Post
    I like Bo as much as the next guy but what does Michigan have that we don’t? Why can Hoke walk in year 1 from San Diego and start pulling in talent? Why can Stanford who has as big of an uphill battle as anyone continue to lure top kids? If we continue to get average classes we are going to continue to get average results. We have one difference maker on this team, Rex, other than that we have a bunch of nice players. 5 star players do not equal success (See Texas) but they do give you a pretty good shot most years (See SEC). We all want the same thing, 14 W's.

GBR
    I think it sometimes isn't appreciated how attractive it can be, and let's face it, should be, for a recruit, or anyone for that matter, to go to a big well, regarded school in a high population state. It is an old piece of wisdom that you should go to college in the place you want to stay after you graduate, not in every case, but in most. Most kids don't go on to the NFL, and it is a big benefit to have career opportunities locally after you graduate, or even after an NFL career if you do have one.

Michigan has 5 times the population of Nebraska. Not only are there more good players there, but for the rest of you life after college you are connected and looked after within a much bigger economy than Nebraska's. Michigan is also one of the best state schools in the country - a degree from there carries a lot of weight.

How many kids dream of living in Nebraska after they graduate? How many dream of living in Southern Cal, with a population 25 times Nebraska's? Florida 22 times? Ohio 6 times?

If I was the parent of a four star player living in Indiana, who had an offer from Michigan and on offer from Nebraska, my advice would be to head north, not west. We have some things to offer, and we have a shot with a certain kind of kid. We can and generally do make the most of that.

But Michigan has a lot that we don't have. We may as well realize that.

Edited to add: And you mentioned Stanford too. 95% of kids from anywhere except Nebraska who would choose Nebraska over Stanford, unless they plan to study agriculture, are being poorly advised.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    I think it sometimes isn't appreciated how attractive it can be, and let's face it, should be, for a recruit, or anyone for that matter, to go to a big well, regarded school in a high population state. It is an old piece of wisdom that you should go to college in the place you want to stay after you graduate, not in every case, but in most. Most kids don't go on to the NFL, and it is a big benefit to have career opportunities locally after you graduate, or even after an NFL career if you do have one.

Michigan has 5 times the population of Nebraska. Not only are there more good players there, but for the rest of you life after college you are connected and looked after within a much bigger economy than Nebraska's. Michigan is also one of the best state schools in the country - a degree from there carries a lot of weight.

How many kids dream of living in Nebraska after they graduate? How many dream of living in Southern Cal, with a population 25 times Nebraska's? Florida 22 times? Ohio 6 times?

If I was the parent of a four star player living in Indiana, who had an offer from Michigan and on offer from Nebraska, my advice would be to head north, not west. We have some things to offer, and we have a shot with a certain kind of kid. We can and generally do make the most of that.

But Michigan has a lot that we don't have. We may as well realize that.

Edited to add: And you mentioned Stanford too. 95% of kids from anywhere except Nebraska who would choose Nebraska over Stanford, unless they plan to study agriculture, are being poorly advised.
    I somewhat agree, but think we have just as much to offer as any program out there. Thats why they (the coaches) say "if we can get them here we have a legitimate shot at anyone". Our hardware cases are as impressive as anyone's, our facilities are as impressive as anyone's and our fans are as impressive as anyone's. And I think a kid has - where I'm going to live after college - fairly low on the priorities list. Every school has it's webbing of connections spread all over. I still and have always believed the perception of the state, nothing but corn everywhere, is and will continue to be the biggest challenge with kids not from the Midwest.

Why can Stanford who has as big of an uphill battle as anyone continue to lure top kids?
    I'm not sure I would use Stanford as one of your examples. They had a highly rated class last year but I see them at around 35 now, which admittedly doesn't mean squat at this stage. Over the past 6 years or so I think our classes were rated higher almost every year or at least in a dead heat. Plus, it's Stanford, no? One wonders why they sucked hind teet all these years anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Pelinis Gum View Post
    I somewhat agree, but think we have just as much to offer as any program out there. Thats why they (the coaches) say "if we can get them here we have a legitimate shot at anyone". Our hardware cases are as impressive as anyone's, our facilities are as impressive as anyone's and our fans are as impressive as anyone's. And I think a kid has - where I'm going to live after college - fairly low on the priorities list. Every school has it's webbing of connections spread all over. I still and have always believed the perception of the state, nothing but corn everywhere, is and will continue to be the biggest challenge with kids not from the Midwest.
    I didnt realizie until i moved to Cali two years back how people think Nebraska is nothing but corn.

Varsity
    I like Bo as much as the next guy but what does Michigan have that we don’t? Why can Hoke walk in year 1 from San Diego and start pulling in talent? Why can Stanford who has as big of an uphill battle as anyone continue to lure top kids? If we continue to get average classes we are going to continue to get average results. We have one difference maker on this team, Rex, other than that we have a bunch of nice players. 5 star players do not equal success (See Texas) but they do give you a pretty good shot most years (See SEC). We all want the same thing, 14 W's.

GBR
    I think you need to start paying attention to geography and where the top talent normally comes out of. Then look at Nebraska and it's location compared to the "hot beds" of talent. Then look at where Michigan is and Standford or any other school you choose to compare NU to.

Results don't solely dwell on recruiting.....it's about coaching, developing, scheme, and a little luck. (see Boise St.)

Average classes? What exactly are you looking at. Average means middle of the pack. There are what 120+ D-1 schools. Of Bo's recruiting classes, the worse ranking class was 08 (Rivals had them at #30)......
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Well look at this! it is true..when one loses one sense..in this case a sense of humor, the other senses are heightened...In this case, a sense of self importance

Scout Team
    Give me Bo any day and twice on Sundays. I thinks Bo's and the staff are getting this recruiting thing figured out and are establishing relationships that will pay off big over time. GBR

Varsity
    I mentioned in the last article that Tom always brought in a bunch of nice players with a few studs. Example would be Frazier, Phillips, Minter, and I just read an article that Mike Brown was one of the top recruits in his class. He brought in a bunch of hard working local kids and sprinkled in a number of elite recruits.

Hoke was a former assistant before returning to the school to coach, sounds a little bit like Bo except Hoke didn’t have a ring.

We have one pre season All-American caliber player. We have a number of nice players but they are not elite All-American caliber players.

If im not mistaken each and every year it is written that this is the year that we return to prominence, Still Waiting…
    What article are you referring to? Tom Brought in a bunch of nice players. He also brought in quite a few players whom didn't live up to expectations. It's all apart of the game.

And I hope you aren't suggesting that Bo should start bringing in more "local hard working kids" as if that will help NU to jump back to the elite status. Tom recruited to his game plan. Weather it was an elite athlete or a blue collar hard worker, he put them in where they fit. As great of a coach he was it took him quite a while before he was on top of the college football world as the national champion.

Bo has taken over a mess from the previous head coach and build a dependable and solid foundation for the staff/players/recruits/fans to be proud of. He recruits to his game plan. People quickly forget what his defense was doing to some of the top offenses in the nation while we were in the Big XII. He had to make a transition to a new conference that plays a slightly different type of ball all while getting a new OC. We are seeing him bring in recruits to fit the schemes he believes will have the same effect on B1G offenses as the Peso had on Big XII offenses. He is bringing in some hard working kids "sprinkling" in some elite recruits (A.Green, T. Armstrong, Z. Anderson, M. Seisay, T. Moore, T. Peat, J. Turner, C. Jackson, etc.....).

And it seems like you depend too much on the opinions of others, with the comment that we only have one pre season all american caliber player. You don't give enough credit to guys like Kenny Bell whom may be one of the better playmakers on the team. Jamal Turner whom showed his age last year but also showed his ability. With maturity, he will be a great one. As much flack I give Martinez, you can't deny how dangerous he can be. As a freshman, he was in Heisman talk........

And the "return to prominence" attitude comes from the fans. It's what he hope for. The reason why it's consistent every off season is because during the season the team/staff/recruits give us a reason to believe that THIS COULD BE THE YEAR. The season you don't see talks of returning to providence, that means they team isn't doing much of anything on the field and isn't showing that it can make a difference.
    Well look at this! it is true..when one loses one sense..in this case a sense of humor, the other senses are heightened...In this case, a sense of self importance

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Pelinis Gum View Post
    Since Michigan was brought up... There werent alot of differences players wise when Rich Rod left and Hoke came in. Yet 7-6 to 11-2.

I know we dont have a new head coach coming in etc. But ANY year can be the return to prominence. This year is as good as any imo.
    Yea, I believe someone during the season pointed out that 17 players whom started at least one game in the previous season had returned for Michigan for Hoke's first season.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    I think you need to start paying attention to geography and where the top talent normally comes out of. Then look at Nebraska and it's location compared to the "hot beds" of talent. Then look at where Michigan is and Standford or any other school you choose to compare NU to.

Results don't solely dwell on recruiting.....it's about coaching, developing, scheme, and a little luck. (see Boise St.)

Average classes? What exactly are you looking at. Average means middle of the pack. There are what 120+ D-1 schools. Of Bo's recruiting classes, the worse ranking class was 08 (Rivals had them at #30)......
    I know that basket ball is a whole different thing but KU seems to do pretty well for themselves and don’t have any issues drawing the top talent in. Granite it only takes 1 or 2 of those kids a year but they are still able to do it. College football is a cycle and the order will be restored, unfortunately we have had to endure a rough stretch. We all want the same things and I don’t care if we sign a bunch of 1 star caliber players. I just want to win.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerRedDread View Post
    What article are you referring to? Tom Brought in a bunch of nice players. He also brought in quite a few players whom didn't live up to expectations. It's all apart of the game.

And I hope you aren't suggesting that Bo should start bringing in more "local hard working kids" as if that will help NU to jump back to the elite status. Tom recruited to his game plan. Weather it was an elite athlete or a blue collar hard worker, he put them in where they fit. As great of a coach he was it took him quite a while before he was on top of the college football world as the national champion.

Bo has taken over a mess from the previous head coach and build a dependable and solid foundation for the staff/players/recruits/fans to be proud of. He recruits to his game plan. People quickly forget what his defense was doing to some of the top offenses in the nation while we were in the Big XII. He had to make a transition to a new conference that plays a slightly different type of ball all while getting a new OC. We are seeing him bring in recruits to fit the schemes he believes will have the same effect on B1G offenses as the Peso had on Big XII offenses. He is bringing in some hard working kids "sprinkling" in some elite recruits (A.Green, T. Armstrong, Z. Anderson, M. Seisay, T. Moore, T. Peat, J. Turner, C. Jackson, etc.....).

And it seems like you depend too much on the opinions of others, with the comment that we only have one pre season all american caliber player. You don't give enough credit to guys like Kenny Bell whom may be one of the better playmakers on the team. Jamal Turner whom showed his age last year but also showed his ability. With maturity, he will be a great one. As much flack I give Martinez, you can't deny how dangerous he can be. As a freshman, he was in Heisman talk........

And the "return to prominence" attitude comes from the fans. It's what he hope for. The reason why it's consistent every off season is because during the season the team/staff/recruits give us a reason to believe that THIS COULD BE THE YEAR. The season you don't see talks of returning to providence, that means they team isn't doing much of anything on the field and isn't showing that it can make a difference.
    Can you please tell me how many of those “local hard working kids” started on the 1995 team? If they were good enough then why aren’t they now?