Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Decision is in

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    And that would be a nonsensical argument, similar to liberals arguing that republicans only care about people in the womb.

Anyone pull the numbers yet on who will be charged a penalty under the mandate? I'd say 90% or probably much more are probably already paying for insurance, so this mandate will not impact them at all, except that their premiums may go down.
    Premiums going DOWN vs. remaining flat or going up is far from a given at this point. I think prevailing opinion is that they'll continue to go up, albeit at maybe a somewhat slower rate.

Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    Good post, Chi - those are all very good, reasonable ideas which never saw the light of day because conservatives never had "a seat at the table" as the law was put together. In particular, your endorsement of #2 is even more significant to me, in light of your profession.

Well given that I am on the corporate defense side, it shouldn't be all that surprising either.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

God of Huskermax

Premiums going DOWN vs. remaining flat or going up is far from a given at this point. I think prevailing opinion is that they'll continue to go up, albeit at maybe a somewhat slower rate.
    And that would be a good first step.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    I think the basic framework of an individual mandate combined with certain concessions from insurance companies like coverage of pre-existing conditions is a good starting point. But that's all it is. The problem with the last health care debate is that alot of decent conservative ideas were ignored. There are a number of ways to increase the competitiveness of the health insurance market.

1. Portability across state lines. Insurers right now only have to compete against 6 or so other insurers authorized to do business in that state, which inhibits price competition. We need 30 or 40 insurers competing with each other not just a handful.

2. Medical Malpractice reform. So much med mal litigation is frivolous crap than amounts to nothing more than legalized extortion for a settlement. We need to penalize those suits while preserving the ability of people who have been legitimately injured to bring suit. We need stronger fee-shifting for frivolous litigation, caps on punitive damages and soft damages like pain and suffering and other measures that will reduce the incredibly high cost of malpractice insurance.

3. A better pricing system. Right now everything is based on a nebulous committee of doctors that sets pricing for Medicare and which often gets things wrong (for instance by charging for the use of a new device with every surgery when the device at issue is reusable). We need more than just doctors to participate in the pricing of reimbursement of health care services.

4. Elective vs. non-elective shouldn't be an either/or. It should be a sliding scale. Consumers should have to pay a higher percentage the more elective that the service is.

5. Transparency of pricing and greater consumer pricing. High deductible plans are a good start. We need consumers to know what they are paying for, and for consumers to have to pay something themselves, so they will only get what they really need.

Basically what we need is for the health care market to do a better job of allocating resources. People get a ton of unnecessary health care in this country because there is no incentive for them not to. That is what needs to change.
    Chi, Chi...way too much common sense today.

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    And that would be a good first step.
    Possibly the case until we have to pay for our next bailout, all of this "reform" is just another revenue stream in the end and it will be adjusted as needed and the tax payers (middle class) will be the ones to pay for it.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by ShuckIt View Post
    Possibly the case until we have to pay for our next bailout, all of this "reform" is just another revenue stream in the end and it will be adjusted as needed and the tax payers (middle class) will be the ones to pay for it.
    The middle class pays for everything. So it's best if we keep them healthy and working.

Junior Varsity
    And that would be a nonsensical argument, similar to liberals arguing that republicans only care about people in the womb.

Anyone pull the numbers yet on who will be charged a penalty under the mandate? I'd say 90% or probably much more are probably already paying for insurance, so this mandate will not impact them at all, except that their premiums may go down.
    CM

Apparently you aren't up to speed on past elections and what works in political campaigns. For instance in CA if you mention a word about repealing prop 13 you sign your political death knell. If you don't think that Roberts opinion of this being a tax is going to be played in Nebraska,ND,Iowa,Ohio and on and on I have a bridge to sell you.

This will be hammered as a tax increase, now you can argue the merits of that tactic, but the fact remains when the GOP is given a tax argument I will take their side to win all the time.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    HDHP with an HSA is the way to go. It truly gets you involved in your own healthcare. It is cheaper that PPO and has more long term benefits.
    The issue, IMO, is that people don't want another thing to have to micromanage in their lives...they have a mortgage, car payment, bills upon bills, job stress, kid stress, etc. and most people want to be able to pick an option, know they will have "x" dollars taken out of each paycheck and be done with it...they don't care until something bad happens and they find out their insurance won't cover it...which uncovers a bigger issue all together, which is, in general, people are REactive about things instead of PROactive.
    I am nothing without the grace of God

All Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    CM

Apparently you aren't up to speed on past elections and what works in political campaigns. For instance in CA if you mention a word about repealing prop 13 you sign your political death knell. If you don't think that Roberts opinion of this being a tax is going to be played in Nebraska,ND,Iowa,Ohio and on and on I have a bridge to sell you.

This will be hammered as a tax increase, now you can argue the merits of that tactic, but the fact remains when the GOP is given a tax argument I will take their side to win all the time.
    Yes, I agree that politicians and pundits will misconstrue the topic and mislead voters. I have no doubt about that.

Junior Varsity
    Yes, I agree that politicians and pundits will misconstrue the topic and mislead voters. I have no doubt about that.
    Miscontrue ?

What did the Chief Justice call this in writing ?

Heisman

Miscontrue ?

Lakewood, you have to understand the definitions in use.

Miscontrue: To disagree with Obama's assertions.

Roberts said its a tax. Its constitutional due to Congress' authority to tax. It will apparently be collected by the IRS via additional payments when you calculate your income tax each year. But its not a tax, say its a tax and you're "misconstruing!"

Scout Team

What is the over/under on how many years before the taxpayers are paying for other peoples botox type "health" visits?

All Big 10

Miscontrue ?

He certainly didn't say it was a general tax increase on American citizens, which is how it will be misconstrued (and is already being misconstrued).

He does burn our Founders, here:

To an economist, perhaps, there is no difference between activity and inactivity; both have measurable economic effects on commerce. But the distinction between doingsomething and doing nothing would not have been lost on the Framers, who were “practical statesmen,” not metaphysical philosophers.
    Of course I don't think we should necessarily look to the original intent of a group of folks who didn't believe in universal suffrage and were ok with the slavery thing. Maybe their genius was in constructing a Constitution that was broad enough to change in meaning as our understanding of economic theory evolved.

All Big 10

Lakewood, you have to understand the definitions in use.

Miscontrue: To disagree with Obama's assertions.

Roberts said its a tax. Its constitutional due to Congress' authority to tax. It will apparently be collected by the IRS via additional payments when you calculate your income tax each year. But its not a tax, say its a tax and you're "misconstruing!"
    It's not a general tax increase on Americans.

Most Americans won't pay (and wouldn't have) any additional taxes as a result of the mandate.

Only those who elect to pay the fine/tax will pay more.

So, as I said, it's misconstruing the ruling and definitions to claim the mandate is a general tax increase.

Party like it's 1985!
    What % of people does that apply to?

How do we avoid the moral hazard of low income people refusing to buy insurance because it's provided? Do we have a significant concern even if that happens?

What if the disease is a third or fourth reason why they are in financial trouble?
    I can't remember the exact figure or where I saw it, but around 40-50% of all bankruptcies are caused by medical bills.

I'll see if I can dig it up.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10