Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 364

Thread: Supreme Court Rules on Affordable Care Act

  1. #261
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    He gave himself a pretty big out. 1. We have to wait 5 years and 2. EVERYTHING in the bill has to be implemented (he can already say the medicaid expansion will not be implemented).
    Plus I'm sure the irony of him leaving the United States for a country that has universal health care won't be lost on very many people.

  2. #262
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,841
    Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    Life expectancy = better health care?

    By that, there are a lot of countries that have a lower life expectancy than the US and have state health care.
    Yup. There are.

  3. #263
    Heathen
    CornfieldCounty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    11,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    38th in life expectancy.
    49th in infant mortality.
    57th in heart disease.
    1st in obesity.
    1st in per-capita spending.
    Not disputing the numbers, but explain how a SP system will improve those?

    Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

    Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

  4. #264
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    Plus I'm sure the irony of him leaving the United States for a country that has universal health care won't be lost on very many people.
    He'd move to the libertarian dream country of Somalia.


  5. #265
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Not Chicago anymore
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    You can't compare other countries to us. For how much we don't take care of ourselves our life expectancy is out standing.
    I am going to disagree here. You can compare industrialized countries to a point.

    We are too fat. They smoke too much. There are dietary issues all around. But, I think it is completely legit to compare countries where numbers aren't being skewed by war, famine, or infectious disease.

    On that note, I would argue that I think life expectancy is a stupid metric. I think too much weight is put onto it. I would also argue that I don't believe that any new advances are going to "extend life" as a country or as a species by much. All told, a typical human that avoids the pitfalls of heart disease, cancer, and accidents will most often live to about 80. Maybe more, maybe less, but I would argue that expecting much more quality or quantity of life after that is semantics.

    What would be of the biggest benefit would be trying to find a way to diminish the tail of the life expectancy curve, those that succumb (most often to heart disease or cancer) in the prime of their lives. Some of that needs to be lifestyle choice, but we really haven't seen a tremendous amount of progress made in a lot of diseases. In the process we have dramatically increased the cost.

    100 years ago, you lived your life until you got sick and died, typically in a quick fashion. Nowadays, too frequently we just drag it out fighting battles for which there is no hope of winning.

  6. #266
    Red Shirt
    kpaso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,969
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    You should be able to articulate what needs to be done for you with much more authority than I can. All I have done is point out that you are blaming the government for your (potential) failure. I've then utilized the conservative argument that if others can do it then there is nothing preventing you from doing it. I've also said that if you don't like failing, you should be better at what you do (another conservative argument). I'll also add that if you do fail, it was because you likely made the wrong decisions.

    If you want specifics, I'll need access to your financials and business plans. You can PM me those.
    Another floundering statement. So you admit you don't know the first thing about how my business runs or should run or how Obamacare will affect it. You are the master of slinging mud and seeing if some of it sticks. You have proven that you are indeed clueless about this business.

  7. #267
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Not Chicago anymore
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    38th in life expectancy.
    49th in infant mortality.
    57th in heart disease.
    1st in obesity.
    1st in per-capita spending.
    Just make it to 80 and our healthcare system really starts working for ya!

    Some of that data is skewed by our heroic attempts to save the lives of some premature babies which drives some of the neonatal/infant mortality data.

    But, the point is well taken. You cannot discount the role that lifestyle choices make in those numbers either.

  8. #268
    All Legend
    huskernut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    16,666
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw11 View Post

    That was from over 2 years ago. It's come down to just this election for him, and he's going to need full Republican control. That's asking a lot.

  9. #269
    rush is gonna die soon enough anyways...unless he starts to take better care of his body.

  10. #270
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,841
    Quote Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
    Another floundering statement. So you admit you don't know the first thing about how my business runs or should run or how Obamacare will affect it. You are the master of slinging mud and seeing if some of it sticks. You have proven that you are indeed clueless about this business.
    I never claimed to be an expert in your business. I do know quite a bit about how to run a business and how one should run it. It really isn't rocket science. You are the one blaming others for your (potential) failure and seeking to play the victim role. I agree, I am the master. But it's at turning your own arguments around on you.

    Quit blaming others for your personal/business failures.

    Think outside the box.

    Your failure would be a direct result of bad decisions you've made.

    If you want to be successful the government isn't preventing you from doing that. Especially if others in your business end up being very successful. In short, it won't be the government that causes you to fail, it will be your fault.

    But in all honesty, I don't even think it will happen. I think you'll end up retiring very comfortably at the time and place of your choice.

  11. #271
    Heathen
    CornfieldCounty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    11,444
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    I never claimed to be an expert in your business. I do know quite a bit about how to run a business and how one should run it. It really isn't rocket science. You are the one blaming others for your (potential) failure and seeking to play the victim role. I agree, I am the master. But it's at turning your own arguments around on you.

    Quit blaming others for your personal/business failures.


    Think outside the box.

    Your failure would be a direct result of bad decisions you've made.

    If you want to be successful the government isn't preventing you from doing that. Especially if others in your business end up being very successful. In short, it won't be the government that causes you to fail, it will be your fault.

    But in all honesty, I don't even think it will happen. I think you'll end up retiring very comfortably at the time and place of your choice.
    Same could be said for individuals and taking care of themselves

    Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

    Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

  12. #272
    Husker Immortal
    CombatTargeteer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    100,415
    Well at least the Supreme Court has ruled the President is a liar and by a 5-4 vote. It is a tax and always was a tax.

  13. #273
    God of Huskermax

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    58,841
    Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    Same could be said for individuals and taking care of themselves
    Finally someone sees the parallel. Kudos CC!

  14. #274
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    Obama is a liar because he's now taxing the poor.
    That's right. But Bush appointed Roberts so Obama can either gloat in victory if this works out, or STILL blame Bush.

  15. #275
    Cornhusker since 1969
    Nebraska1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    5,171
    It was always a tax. This was one of the arguments used when defending it to the Supremes. It just was kept low key because saying the word tax in todays political environment is like yelling fire in a crowded movie theater.

  16. #276
    All Legend

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska1 View Post
    It was always a tax. This was one of the arguments used when defending it to the Supremes. It just was kept low key because saying the word tax in todays political environment is like yelling fire in a crowded movie theater.
    "It was always a tax."

    What exactly is "it"? That a very important definition.

    The mandate provides a choice: Buy insurance or pay a tax/penalty.

    It is not a tax raise on general public. The typical American won't see a raise in taxes based on this decision or the ACA generally (though other costs may be passed to them in other ways).

    We just need to be real clear about what the decision says and what the law requires.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

    "If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

  17. #277
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    4,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Rick View Post
    That's right. But Bush appointed Roberts so Obama can either gloat in victory if this works out, or STILL blame Bush.

  18. #278
    Rebel Alliance
    FLA4NEB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Central FLA
    Posts
    16,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebraska1 View Post
    It was always a tax. This was one of the arguments used when defending it to the Supremes. It just was kept low key because saying the word tax in todays political environment is like yelling fire in a crowded movie theater.
    So you admit President Obama lied about Obamacare funding.
    As government gets bigger people get smaller

  19. #279
    Cornhusker since 1969
    Nebraska1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    So you admit President Obama lied about Obamacare funding.

    Nope. He was just playing politics. Just like the boys on the other side of the aisle. If you take points away for playing fast and lose with the truth, we would have very few people left in DC.

  20. #280
    Cornhusker since 1969
    Nebraska1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    5,171
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    "It was always a tax."

    What exactly is "it"? That a very important definition.

    The mandate provides a choice: Buy insurance or pay a tax/penalty.

    It is not a tax raise on general public. The typical American won't see a raise in taxes based on this decision or the ACA generally (though other costs may be passed to them in other ways).

    We just need to be real clear about what the decision says and what the law requires.
    It is the Affordable Care Act.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •