Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Quote from Biden About Romney's "Jobs"

Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    I grant you that our Congress hasn't been good either, but they don't have the same bully pit that the President has squandered so far (and said some very economically stupid things from... e.g. his last STOTU).

Anyway, fixing Congress would require attracting intelligent people who are interested in legislating. Our current system isn't set up that way.
    Certainly agree about Congress.

Except that "creating jobs" here artificially whether through tax incentives or subsidies or regulatory trade barriers is effectively a tax on the US consumer, both directly and indirectly. And, it's the most regressive sort of tax.

The reality is that labor laws, including minimum wage, as well as the overall status of our economy has made manufacturing more expensive here than overseas. Encouraging or forcing companies to act inefficiently won't benefit the economy in the long run.

Of course my strong international free trade policies are also supplemented by a belief that those who reap the benefits of globalization (i.e.the owners and retained employees of a given industry) should pay into a pool that directly assists the "short term losers." I'd love to see that funding go toward retraining and relocation programs, too.
    Good post--the tax cuts you mention have certainly not shown a lot of broad-ranging help to the economy, that is true (and why I'd be scared to hand the keys to this car to a Republican President at this juncture, since that's primarily what we'd get, along with a lot less for the short term losers you mention). And of course we've got a Catch 22 on manufacturing; other countries can manufacture for pennies on the dollar compared to here, but if we eliminated a minimum wage and started to put people on the line for $2/hr or what have you, we're probably still not competitive with a variety of 3rd world manufacturers and the worker isn't making a feasible living wage considering our cost of living. I don't know what the magic bullet is (and doubt there is one), but the retraining you mention is huge. I work on the higher end of the staffing industry (i.e. IT, very education/experience intensive) and it remains true that we as a country need to import a lot of workers from other countries who quite frankly have done a much better job of educating their youth for the jobs of tomorrow than we have. Not to say there aren't a ton of good US born workers, and an even larger group of potentials coming up, but they really need a supportive government and I don't know that we've seen that from either party for a long time.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Term Limits......Term Limits................Term Limits
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do…
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Heisman

I think there is zero doubt that the administration's inability to articulate and create a predictable regulatory and taxation scheme have had a significant impact on growth. People are still in "wait and see" mode because his admin seems more interested in campaigning than in governing.

I grant you that our Congress hasn't been good either, but they don't have the same bully pit that the President has squandered so far (and said some very economically stupid things from... e.g. his last STOTU).
    Very well stated, cm.

Anyway, fixing Congress would require attracting intelligent people who are interested in legislating. Our current system isn't set up that way.
    Sadly, so true...

Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    I don't know, ask your guy that said he'd fix it. He convinced people that he was going to save them all.
    He's in process, but boy did he miss that 6 month deadline I pulled out of my derriere. I was just hoping someone else had the magic number he should have been gunning for. 9 months? That sounds fair.

Heisman

But not about POTUS, huh? Of course not, you'd have to admit Obama is a large part of the problem, and I guess you won't ever do that.

Heisman

He's in process, but boy did he miss that 6 month deadline I pulled out of my derriere. I was just hoping someone else had the magic number he should have been gunning for. 9 months? That sounds fair.
    How about almost 4 years? That sounds like a reasonable amount of time, to show at least a lot more measurable progress than we see to date.

Travel Squad
    McCain/Palin would've fixed that economy in a jiffy, yessirreebob. I think there's some truth to what Biden says and of course some simplicity to it, but it's tough to argue the simple truth that a job created in Singapore much more indirectly ends up creating jobs here than, you know, a job created here in the first place. If you're talking in the immediate, let's-look-at-the-monthly-unemployment-rates-and-beat-our-politicians-over-the-head-about-it and not in any kind of a strategic sense, that is. I'd feel worse for Mitt if he wasn't pounding Obama with the same immediate numbers and ignoring how it's a longer term proposition to turn an economy around that was as messed up, locally and globally, as it was in 2008. Can't have it both ways...oh, wait, this is Mitt Romney we're talking about. Of course you can.

How long do you need?
    ...took the country fourteen years and a World War the last time we had a recession this bad. 3.5 doesn't sound like so long in comparison, no?

I think there is zero doubt that the administration's inability to articulate and create a predictable regulatory and taxation scheme have had a significant impact on growth. People are still in "wait and see" mode because his admin seems more interested in campaigning than in governing.

That is the most bothersome GOP talking point. Uncertainty is always a reality and the recession has caused far more of it than any President/administration could.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post

...took the country fourteen years and a World War the last time we had a recession this bad. 3.5 doesn't sound like so long in comparison, no?

That is the most bothersome GOP talking point. Uncertainty is always a reality and the recession has caused far more of it than any President/administration could.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    How about almost 4 years? That sounds like a reasonable amount of time, to show at least a lot more measurable progress than we see to date.
    Well I think we all know one side takes a glass half empty view of what's been accomplished in 4 years and the other takes the other viewpoint. Either way, there's still room in the glass to be filled, I get that. I do think you can point to measurable progress, and of course you can point to that nasty unemployment number. I really don't believe anything a Republican administration would have done the last four years would have been any better on that front, I think it has a lot more to do with some sea changes in the economy worldwide and how some jobs just aren't coming back, from the grave or from other shores. Anecdotally I have seen business conditions and the fortunes of a variety of unemployed friends and associates improve over the last 4 years, but as my wife loves to say on her message boards, anecdote does not equal data so I won't belabor that too much.

I do have to wonder if we would have seen the Tea Party rise, or ever start at all, if McCain had won. If so I have to wonder how much austerity would have rained down on us from 2010 onward and what kind of shape the employment numbers would be in.

All Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    Yeah, and many historians believe that certain actions after '29 and '31 were instrumental in prolonging the misery. Executive leadership matters.

It's not a GOP talking point... I've had a chance to speak to and listen to some folks pretty high in the financial and general corporate industries, and they are extremely confused by the administration's mixed signals. Many of them are democrats, too.

Other uncertainties definite impact the decision making, but we are aggravating them with our own policies, or lack thereof.

Blackshirt
    Yeah, and many historians believe that certain actions after '29 and '31 were instrumental in prolonging the misery. Executive leadership matters.

It's not a GOP talking point... I've had a chance to speak to and listen to some folks pretty high in the financial and general corporate industries, and they are extremely confused by the administration's mixed signals. Many of them are democrats, too.

Other uncertainties definite impact the decision making, but we are aggravating them with our own policies, or lack thereof.
    Here, Here!

Husker Fan

I liked his quote that basically admitted that we are still in a recession, at least by perception if not statistics. 3 1/2 years of Obama-Biden and nothing to show for it. Thanks for being honest, Joe.
    thanks for keeping your blinders on.

Husker Fan

damn...we're getting better...may still be not where we want to be but we're definitely better off than 3.5 years ago. give credit for once! it won't kill you!

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    thanks for keeping your blinders on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    damn...we're getting better...may still be not where we want to be but we're definitely better off than 3.5 years ago. give credit for once! it won't kill you!
    Better off by what measure?