Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Quote from Biden About Romney's "Jobs"

Great Quote from Biden About Romney's "Jobs"

Well said, Joe.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/b...182305458.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...ptV_print.html

"You've got to give Mitt Romney credit," the vice president said. "He is a job creator--in Singapore, and China, India. He's been very good at creating jobs overseas."

During the nearly 15 years that Romney was actively involved in running Bain, a private equity firm that he founded, it owned companies that were pioneers in the practice of shipping work from the United States to overseas call centers and factories making computer components, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

A. That's a simplistic and incorrect assessment.

B. Creating jobs in Singapore, China, India and other places overseas DOES create jobs in the US.

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    I liked his quote that basically admitted that we are still in a recession, at least by perception if not statistics. 3 1/2 years of Obama-Biden and nothing to show for it. Thanks for being honest, Joe.

Scout Team

I wonder if any jobs were "saved" in the US by shipping these jobs overseas. Isn't that what this jobs creating thing is about nowadays. "We created a few jobs, but we saved 10s of millions" is all I've heard for 3-1/2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    I liked his quote that basically admitted that we are still in a recession, at least by perception if not statistics. 3 1/2 years of Obama-Biden and nothing to show for it. Thanks for being honest, Joe.
    McCain/Palin would've fixed that economy in a jiffy, yessirreebob. I think there's some truth to what Biden says and of course some simplicity to it, but it's tough to argue the simple truth that a job created in Singapore much more indirectly ends up creating jobs here than, you know, a job created here in the first place. If you're talking in the immediate, let's-look-at-the-monthly-unemployment-rates-and-beat-our-politicians-over-the-head-about-it and not in any kind of a strategic sense, that is. I'd feel worse for Mitt if he wasn't pounding Obama with the same immediate numbers and ignoring how it's a longer term proposition to turn an economy around that was as messed up, locally and globally, as it was in 2008. Can't have it both ways...oh, wait, this is Mitt Romney we're talking about. Of course you can.

Ayyy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    McCain/Palin would've fixed that economy in a jiffy, yessirreebob. I think there's some truth to what Biden says and of course some simplicity to it, but it's tough to argue the simple truth that a job created in Singapore much more indirectly ends up creating jobs here than, you know, a job created here in the first place. If you're talking in the immediate, let's-look-at-the-monthly-unemployment-rates-and-beat-our-politicians-over-the-head-about-it and not in any kind of a strategic sense, that is. I'd feel worse for Mitt if he wasn't pounding Obama with the same immediate numbers and ignoring how it's a longer term proposition to turn an economy around that was as messed up, locally and globally, as it was in 2008. Can't have it both ways...oh, wait, this is Mitt Romney we're talking about. Of course you can.
    How long do you need?

Heisman

So I guess Joe would be equally disappointed in Obama's job creation, with the same kind of evidence readily available to use for quotes. Lets see, $529 MILLION in taxpayer money to Fisker automotive, who now assembles all their green electric cars in... Finland! So, in Joe's words, "You've got to give Barack Obama credit. He is a job creator - in Finland. He's been very good at creating jobs overseas."

Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    So I guess Joe would be equally disappointed in Obama's job creation, with the same kind of evidence readily available to use for quotes. Lets see, $529 MILLION in taxpayer money to Fisker automotive, who now assembles all their green electric cars in... Finland! So, in Joe's words, "You've got to give Barack Obama credit. He is a job creator - in Finland. He's been very good at creating jobs overseas."
    That's ok, though, because Finnish people are white.

Democrats just don't have an interest in creating jobs in minority communities/nations.

How long do you need?
    Whew, I dunno, Wall Street almost collapses, the US auto industry almost collapses, the housing market does collapse, most of our global trading partners thrown into varying degrees of economic tailspin at the same time for similar reasons, 2 wars draining the coffers...I'm thinking 6 months? What say you?

Except that "creating jobs" here artificially whether through tax incentives or subsidies or regulatory trade barriers is effectively a tax on the US consumer, both directly and indirectly. And, it's the most regressive sort of tax.

The reality is that labor laws, including minimum wage, as well as the overall status of our economy has made manufacturing more expensive here than overseas. Encouraging or forcing companies to act inefficiently won't benefit the economy in the long run.

Of course my strong international free trade policies are also supplemented by a belief that those who reap the benefits of globalization (i.e.the owners and retained employees of a given industry) should pay into a pool that directly assists the "short term losers." I'd love to see that funding go toward retraining and relocation programs, too.

Whew, I dunno, Wall Street almost collapses, the US auto industry almost collapses, the housing market does collapse, most of our global trading partners thrown into varying degrees of economic tailspin at the same time for similar reasons, 2 wars draining the coffers...I'm thinking 6 months? What say you?
    I think there is zero doubt that the administration's inability to articulate and create a predictable regulatory and taxation scheme have had a significant impact on growth. People are still in "wait and see" mode because his admin seems more interested in campaigning than in governing.

I grant you that our Congress hasn't been good either, but they don't have the same bully pit that the President has squandered so far (and said some very economically stupid things from... e.g. his last STOTU).

Anyway, fixing Congress would require attracting intelligent people who are interested in legislating. Our current system isn't set up that way.

Ayyy!
    I don't know, ask your guy that said he'd fix it. He convinced people that he was going to save them all.

Husker Immortal
    I don't know, ask your guy that said he'd fix it. He convinced people that he was going to save them all.
    Where's my new house and car he promised me?????
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    I think there is zero doubt that the administration's inability to articulate and create a predictable regulatory and taxation scheme have had a significant impact on growth. People are still in "wait and see" mode because his admin seems more interested in campaigning than in governing.

I grant you that our Congress hasn't been good either, but they don't have the same bully pit that the President has squandered so far (and said some very economically stupid things from... e.g. his last STOTU).

Anyway, fixing Congress would require attracting intelligent people who are interested in legislating. Our current system isn't set up that way.
    I agree. It will take someone and a congress that can throw out politics to save the country. Until then it will just go back and fourth between big government and small government.

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)