Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Springs Fire

Red Shirt
    Apparently the Air Force Academy was evacuated.

I live just east of the Springs, about 25-30 miles from the Mountain Shadows area that was devastated on Tuesday. To show how strong the wind was that caused the Tuesday firestorm, when I went outside first thing Wednesday morning there were pieces of ash all over my driveway and yard, some almost as big as a playing card. One of the attached pictures was taken in a friend's neighborhood in Mountain Shadows. The other 2 were taken in my neighborhood and show the smoke plume 25-30 miles away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpMario View Post
    Apparently the Air Force Academy was evacuated.

Some 2100 souls along the sw border. Academy training continues and the new cadets are about to arrive if not already there to begin their basic training. They might get a crash course in fire containment procedures.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskernation View Post
    be safe, lots of friends in the Springs. Very, very dangerous out there and no end in sight. Pray for the firefighters and that no more people lose a life over this tragedy.
    X2.

Be safe, people. "Things" can be replaced, but humans cannot. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

Pray for rain.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by joncarl View Post
    Pray for rain.
    You bet.

"Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

This is a picture a friend of mine sent me this morning of the view from the Air Force Academy:

fireatusafa.jpg

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint23r View Post
    This is a picture a friend of mine sent me this morning of the view from the Air Force Academy:

fireatusafa.jpg
    That's Sijan Hall (a dorm) in the foreground, Mitchell Hall (the dining hall) in the middle and Fairchild Hall (the classrooms) in the background. You are looking to the south and a touch west and it is showing the fire remains to the SW of the grounds

Good luck down there. It's going to be a long summer here in the west with up to 70% pine beetle kill, drought, and non-stop winds.

Recruit
    The class of 2016 reported to the Air Force Academy today. Doolie summer is bad enough as it is. This will really make it interesting.
    The Last Knot-Holer

Scout Team
    Very scary.. We went through a very bad fire last summer near Austin, hundreds of home destroyed. I'm praying for all our Colorado neighbors.

All Big 10
    This is what it did yesterday, 346 total homes:

qgqd.jpg

http://photos.denverpost.com/mediace...t-staff/38644/

Junior Varsity
    I just heard on KFAB this morning (Fri) that a number of the USA Swimming staff who are in Omaha for the Olympic Swim Trials have had their neighborhoods evacuated back in the Springs, and one of them has had their home burned to the ground.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by joncarl View Post
    Pray for rain.
    Been prayin since back in January. By far, this has been the windiest year since I've been in Utah (19 years), throw in the record temps and zilch snowpack and the west is a tinderbox. Thanksfully, we didn't get our usual June lightning storms, or we'd be in the same boat as Colorado. Hopefully the idgits with fireworks don't do more damage next week.

I will wash my truck this weekend in hopes that that brings rain

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    . Hopefully the idgits with fireworks don't do more damage next week.
    I hear that.

Arizona, among the driest states in the west, just legalized them. We have idgits in government here.
    ---Russian Red