Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Playoff

All Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Red Lebowski View Post
    Entertainment.
    Thank you for the honest answer! Because that's all this boils down to... a personal choice about what is more entertaining.

Now, just like the gladiators of old, we will ask our student athletes to perform for our entertainment, regardless of the repercussions to the players.

It's about value judgments, and clearly fan entertainment (and money interests) far outweigh the interests of our athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Thank you for the honest answer! Because that's all this boils down to... a personal choice about what is more entertaining.

Now, just like the gladiators of old, we will ask our student athletes to perform for our entertainment, regardless of the repercussions to the players.

It's about value judgments, and clearly fan entertainment (and money interests) far outweigh the interests of our athletes.

exactly what "repercussions" are they going to be exposed to? Please don't say an extra game or two...cause EVERY division in football (besides IA) does this and I have never seen you cry a river for the perceived "repurcussions" they are exposed to...you are creating drama that does not exist because you are trying to find "reasons" as to why a playoff is a bad idea, when in reality there is none, coaches are for it and think it is better than what we had, I am willing to bet players feel the same exact way

Junior Varsity

Sure it is. The rest of the debate makes for interesting banter, but it's just scenery really. Pick the teams any way you want. Most fans, myself included, just want a more satisfying and entertaining climax to the season. That said, I do believe the most cogent anti-playoff argument is player welfare. When you add more games, it increases the chances of injury and takes time away from academics.

The 4-teamer adds just one game though, so this argument isn't presently meaningful. It's a pre-emptive argument really. If the playoff expands, it gains traction. If the top teams start playing 15 to 17 games, it has some validity. Most folks are going to throw the "DII does it" trump card. DII is a whole different brand of whiskey - the biggest and most obvious difference is that there is no money in it.

I personally don't think expansion to 8 or 16 is a given for that very reason. The powers-that-be are smart dudes. They know that there is a tipping point out there beyond which the sport can no longer hide behind the term "student athlete." If they implement a 16-team playoff worth billions in TV money, the chorus for paying the players will be deafening.
    ~Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.~
    J. Lebowski

All Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by unmartin View Post
    exactly what "repercussions" are they going to be exposed to? Please don't say an extra game or two...cause EVERY division in football (besides IA) does this and I have never seen you cry a river for the perceived "repurcussions" they are exposed to...you are creating drama that does not exist because you are trying to find "reasons" as to why a playoff is a bad idea, when in reality there is none, coaches are for it and think it is better than what we had, I am willing to bet players feel the same exact way
    Actually count the number of games each division plays in the regular season.

The deed is done and it's not the end of the world. All the arguments on both sides have been made. Everyone is locked into their view. Personally, I'll roll with it. The fact remains that the game we all loved is going to be changed forever. The regular season won't be watered down so much by a four team playoff but at 16 teams, the thrill of every regular season game is gone, because the upset factor is lost. That's what made college football so special...to me at least. If not, I'll be pleasantly surprised. If so, I'd be shocked if the condescending posters here will second guess their opinion.

Now, if you can't respect that, what can I say? I respect the opinions of those wanting a playoff. That's what a message board is for right? To express opinions. To discuss. Maybe learn from someone else? To consider options? But some of you, pull out the smug condescension card as if those on the other side of an opinion are idiots, not true fans, dinosaurs, blue hairs, or "cute and small". That tactic is so boring.

We will all see if this is the utopia it is being spouted off as being. If it is, great. If not, big deal, I'll find other things to do on a fall Saturday. I'll tune in when the games matter. But the early season non-conference games are absolutely going to snorefests once it expands to 16 teams. Oh well, we will have two weekend days of NFLesgue "excitement".

Enjoy. The law of unintended consequences usually winds up biting the smug in the arse.

Actually count the number of games each division plays in the regular season.
    last seasons I-AA champ played 15 total games...last seasons I-A champ played 13 total games....bet lets pull LSU into the equation cause they played in the CCG game, they played a total of 14 games. So lets assume they were involved in the 4 team playoff and made it to the Championship game, that would be a total of 15 games (just like two teams from I-AA)..this number could go as high as 17 (for teams that play in the CCG, 16 for those who don't).

So lets remember to keep in mind that these extra games that you seem to feel will have far reaching negative repurcussions for the players would potentially pan out like this:

Lets look at a 4 team playoff:

4 teams playing their 13th or 14th game of the season, 2 get eliminated having only played 13 or 14 games (just like I-AA)
    2 teams playing their 14th or 15th game of the season, both end the season having played 14 or 15 games (just like I-AA)

Lets look at an 8 team playoff:

8 teams likely playing their 13th or 14th game, 4 get eliminated in the first round only playing 13 or 14 games in that season (just like I-AA)
    4 teams liklely playing their 14th or 15th game, 2 get eliminated in the semi's only playing 14 or 15 games in that season (just like I-AA)
    Championship game, 2 teams playing their 15th or 16th game in the season (equalling or playing 1 more than I-AA teams)

Lets look at a 16 team playoff:

16 teams likely playing their 13th or 14th game, 8 get eliminated in the first round only playing 13 or 14 games (just like I-AA)
    8 teams likely playing their 14th or 15th game, 4 get eliminated only playing 14 or 15 games (just like I-AA)
    4 teams likely playing their 15th or 16th game, 2 get eliminated only playing 15 or 16 games (equalling or 1 more than I-AA)
    2 teams likely playing their 16th or 17th game (1 or 2 more than I-AA)

So looking at this:

A 4 team playoff provides no more games than I-AA teams see, so your "repurcussion" concerns in regards to this playoff format are not valid as other teams do this and are fine

A 8 team playoff provides the possibility of 2 teams playing a possible 16th game. So your "repurcussion" concern at least is present in this format but imo a non-issue.

A 16 team playoff provides the possibility of 6 teams playing a 16th and even 17th game. So agaiin your "repurcussion" concern has more validity here and is the only one out of the playoff formats listed that has ateast some semblence of "lets take a look at this".

With that being said, I would be willing to bet that no players and/or coaches would be in any way extremely concerned about the amount of games they could could see in a 16 team playoff, as I feel that would be the only playoff format that could even remotely be considered as having "too much" for the players

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    The deed is done and it's not the end of the world. All the arguments on both sides have been made. Everyone is locked into their view. Personally, I'll roll with it. The fact remains that the game we all loved is going to be changed forever. The regular season won't be watered down so much by a four team playoff but at 16 teams, the thrill of every regular season game is gone, because the upset factor is lost. That's what made college football so special...to me at least. If not, I'll be pleasantly surprised. If so, I'd be shocked if the condescending posters here will second guess their opinion.

Now, if you can't respect that, what can I say? I respect the opinions of those wanting a playoff. That's what a message board is for right? To express opinions. To discuss. Maybe learn from someone else? To consider options? But some of you, pull out the smug condescension card as if those on the other side of an opinion are idiots, not true fans, dinosaurs, blue hairs, or "cute and small". That tactic is so boring.

We will all see if this is the utopia it is being spouted off as being. If it is, great. If not, big deal, I'll find other things to do on a fall Saturday. I'll tune in when the games matter. But the early season non-conference games are absolutely going to snorefests once it expands to 16 teams. Oh well, we will have two weekend days of NFLesgue "excitement".

Enjoy. The law of unintended consequences usually winds up biting the smug in the arse.

Not your first rodeo, I see. Well said.

Husker Fan

I am having a hard time believing that they actually believe what they are saying
    We know they don't when it comes to the weak "the regular season will be meaningless" line. The guys making that statement, quite frankly, are too smart and have too much football knowledge to actually believe it.

Husker Fan

What is college football and all spectator sports in general...if not entertainment?

And let's save the "best interests of student athletes" stuff. If that were the case they wouldn't have playoffs in other sports. The ONLY reason D1A doesn't (didn't, anyway) is because of the "tradition" with the bowls....i put that in quotes because the power of the bowls and the related good ole boy system are more powerful than the tradition.

Scout Team
    last seasons I-AA champ played 15 total games...last seasons I-A champ played 13 total games....bet lets pull LSU into the equation cause they played in the CCG game, they played a total of 14 games. So lets assume they were involved in the 4 team playoff and made it to the Championship game, that would be a total of 15 games (just like two teams from I-AA)..this number could go as high as 17 (for teams that play in the CCG, 16 for those who don't).

So lets remember to keep in mind that these extra games that you seem to feel will have far reaching negative repurcussions for the players would potentially pan out like this:

Lets look at a 4 team playoff:

4 teams playing their 13th or 14th game of the season, 2 get eliminated having only played 13 or 14 games (just like I-AA)
    2 teams playing their 14th or 15th game of the season, both end the season having played 14 or 15 games (just like I-AA)

Lets look at an 8 team playoff:

8 teams likely playing their 13th or 14th game, 4 get eliminated in the first round only playing 13 or 14 games in that season (just like I-AA)
    4 teams liklely playing their 14th or 15th game, 2 get eliminated in the semi's only playing 14 or 15 games in that season (just like I-AA)
    Championship game, 2 teams playing their 15th or 16th game in the season (equalling or playing 1 more than I-AA teams)

Lets look at a 16 team playoff:

16 teams likely playing their 13th or 14th game, 8 get eliminated in the first round only playing 13 or 14 games (just like I-AA)
    8 teams likely playing their 14th or 15th game, 4 get eliminated only playing 14 or 15 games (just like I-AA)
    4 teams likely playing their 15th or 16th game, 2 get eliminated only playing 15 or 16 games (equalling or 1 more than I-AA)
    2 teams likely playing their 16th or 17th game (1 or 2 more than I-AA)

So looking at this:

A 4 team playoff provides no more games than I-AA teams see, so your "repurcussion" concerns in regards to this playoff format are not valid as other teams do this and are fine

A 8 team playoff provides the possibility of 2 teams playing a possible 16th game. So your "repurcussion" concern at least is present in this format but imo a non-issue.

A 16 team playoff provides the possibility of 6 teams playing a 16th and even 17th game. So agaiin your "repurcussion" concern has more validity here and is the only one out of the playoff formats listed that has ateast some semblence of "lets take a look at this".

With that being said, I would be willing to bet that no players and/or coaches would be in any way extremely concerned about the amount of games they could could see in a 16 team playoff, as I feel that would be the only playoff format that could even remotely be considered as having "too much" for the players
    If they ever expanded it into a 16 or 20 team playoff, I think the 2 or 3 non conference games at the start of the season would go bye-bye. Youd start from week one with conference play, or maybe have one high profile non conference game. Id say theres plenty of fodder stuffed into the schedules anymore, that scaling back the warm up games would be somewhat of a must if the playoffs expand.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post

Agree for the most part. With 4 teams the regular season games won't be hurt as much as with 8 or 16 teams. With that many teams getting in any #1 vs. #2 or #3 matchups near the end of the season won't nearly matter as much because both teams will make the playoff anyway. Might even have some teams 'rest' key players knowing they'll be needed for the playoff run.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerGene View Post
    Agree for the most part. With 4 teams the regular season games won't be hurt as much as with 8 or 16 teams. With that many teams getting in any #1 vs. #2 or #3 matchups near the end of the season won't nearly matter as much because both teams will make the playoff anyway. Might even have some teams 'rest' key players knowing they'll be needed for the playoff run.
    In a 4 team playoff...the likelihood of being able to absorb a late season loss and still make the playoffs is going to be extremely rare.

If (when) they get to 8 team playoffs now you're talking about home sites...and seeding becomes paramount...again virtually eliminating the idea of "resting players".

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Pelinis Gum View Post
    If they ever expanded it into a 16 or 20 team playoff, I think the 2 or 3 non conference games at the start of the season would go bye-bye. Youd start from week one with conference play, or maybe have one high profile non conference game. Id say theres plenty of fodder stuffed into the schedules anymore, that scaling back the warm up games would be somewhat of a must if the playoffs expand.

I personally think they would never expand beyond 16 teams..simply because of what you would have to change during the regular season scheduling wise (you would have to eliminate a good amount of non-conf games). With 16 you could possibly eliminate 1 or you could keep it as is...like I said in my above post in a 16 team format only 8 teams would have the opportunity to take part in a 14th/15th game (which is still as many as some I-AA teams play) and only 4 would push it to the possible 15th/16th game and 2 take it all the way to 16/17 games...still highly doable...however I will concede that I understand why some would think this is too much, so in that case you eliminate 1 non-conf game and you can drop those #'s back one game, throw in some other exhibition bowl games for teams that did not make the playoffs and they are still playing the same amount of games they are now. The regular season still remains HIGHLY meaningful and in reality puts more meaningful games on the plate the further you get into the season.