Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Law Insurance

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    And what lobbyists will be pushing for that do you suppose? Just a thought....is there insurance out there to protect individuals FROM lawyers?

Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

All Legend

Seems like "legal insurance" creates a significant moral hazard, though this probably doesn't defend you in most cases of wrongdoing (based on their list of scenarios in their "about us" section).

The remedy for frivolous law suits the typical motions to dismiss, fee shifting and eventually sanctions. Defamation, wrongful prosecution and abuse of process are additional options.

Speaking frankly, the "legal insurance" offered in the original link isn't going to effectively handle the abusive litigation scenario.

Plus, it seems to (and must) only apply defensive actions, or else how do they price the "insurance"... I'm not even sure they'd assist you in proactively stopping a vexatious litigant.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Seems like "legal insurance" creates a significant moral hazard, though this probably doesn't defend you in most cases of wrongdoing (based on their list of scenarios in their "about us" section).

The remedy for frivolous law suits the typical motions to dismiss, fee shifting and eventually sanctions. Defamation, wrongful prosecution and abuse of process are additional options.

Speaking frankly, the "legal insurance" offered in the original link isn't going to effectively handle the abusive litigation scenario.

Plus, it seems to (and must) only apply defensive actions, or else how do they price the "insurance"... I'm not even sure they'd assist you in proactively stopping a vexatious litigant.

Can you imagine the nightmare that "legal insurance" would create in a plaintiff personal injury situation where the insurance covers the contingent fee?
    Yikes.

Recruit
    I am a lawyer. I was contacted by a prepaid legal company. They have lawyers agree to give free 15-30 min consults to be on their list. You agree to charge a particular fee for your services. If the people decide they need a lawyer after a free consult, you sign them up. No, I will not participate in that. "Prepaid legal" is a misnomer. It sounds like an employee benefit. It costs the provider nothing. It is a lawyer-referral service for lawyers who aren't busy. I do free consults for personal injury and criminal defense cases anyway, as most attorneys do, and I'm damned good--it can happen when you are fighting bad guys in court for 30 years. If I can help the client, I tell them exactly what I will charge (not hourly, but a flat fee) and they either hire me or they don't. They usually do hire me. Legalzoom is a viable resource if you need a specific form, like a simple will or articles of incorporation. It is not a resource for legal advice.
    "I'm not allowed to argue with you until you've paid."