Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports Shock Jocks

Scout Team

Sports Shock Jocks

For sports fanatics such as myself ESPN has been a godsend. However, just like the 24 hour news networks you have fill out the hours. This leads to the Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherds of the world. Loud self opinionated sports reporters full of themselves throwing out opinions to draw attention to themselves. No there is no other opinion but their own no gray areas. I love it when they throw out a prediction and when the other team wins you never hear them refer to their original prediction as they are never wrong. There are those like Dan Patrick who are a cut above the rest but there far too many like Bayless and Cowherd. This has also given ex-jocks and coaches employment. Some that are good at announcing some like Lou Holz who leaves a lot to be desired. Now that I have vented I feel better lol.
    Husker follower since 1962

Red Shirt
    Some former players/coaches make a great transition into broadcasting and others make me hit the mute button. It's suprising to me that the ones I feel would be good I hate and vice versa.

Junior Varsity
    Like anything else, there are good and bad ones. I like Mike and Mike most of the time - they don't take themselves very seriously. Cowherd and Rome irritate me so much that I can hardly get the channel changed quickly enough. Unfortunately, even when I'm listening to Mike and Mike, ESPN inserts Cowherd promos that grate on my ears like squeaky chalk on a chalkboard.

Locally (Denver) Dave Logan (ex- Buff and Brown) and Dave Krieger (ex- Denver Post writer) have a really excellent show in afternoon drive time on KOA
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

Those of us who participated in sports knew the guys who washed their jocks on a regular basis and those who left them in their lockers for weeks on end.

"Shock" jocks are just a carryover from that reality.

Husker Fan

I can't listen to Cowherd but wouldn't consider him a "shock" jock. That term implies a guy trying to stir stuff up with controversial opinions, statements, etc...kind of like Rome calling Jim Everett "Chrissy". Cowherd is opinionated and 110% sure he's always right. But I don't think he's real shocking.

Bayless is a complete moron...I change the channel 100% of the time when I see he's on. Simply cannot watch that fool. Someone is going to knock him out someday.

6th year Redshirt
    I don't mind Cowherd, but dont hear his radio show that often, but I like Sports Nation, but that may be becasue Michelle Beadle is hot. Would rather kick Bayless in the stomach than say hello to him.

I listen to KFAN out of Minneapolis all day at work, they have a pretty solid local lineup, minus Paul Allen who is almost as annoying as Bayless.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by McJack View Post
    I don't mind Cowherd, but dont hear his radio show that often, but I like Sports Nation, but that may be becasue Michelle Beadle is hot. Would rather kick Bayless in the stomach than say hello to him.

I listen to KFAN out of Minneapolis all day at work, they have a pretty solid local lineup, minus Paul Allen who is almost as annoying as Bayless.
    Beadle moved on to Access Hollywood

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by denisonred View Post
    For sports fanatics such as myself ESPN has been a godsend. However, just like the 24 hour news networks you have fill out the hours. This leads to the Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherds of the world. Loud self opinionated sports reporters full of themselves throwing out opinions to draw attention to themselves. No there is no other opinion but their own no gray areas. I love it when they throw out a prediction and when the other team wins you never hear them refer to their original prediction as they are never wrong. There are those like Dan Patrick who are a cut above the rest but there far too many like Bayless and Cowherd. This has also given ex-jocks and coaches employment. Some that are good at announcing some like Lou Holz who leaves a lot to be desired. Now that I have vented I feel better lol.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1619209.html

Was flipping thru the channels the other morning, and saw Marc Cuban put Skip Bayless in his place...IT WAS THE BEST SHOW I HAVE EVER SEEN, Skip had NOTHING to say and it looked like his feelings were hurt.

Cuban was just slamming everything Skip does, and asking him questions about the types of defenses OKC, Miami and Dallas played; what adjustments teams made...etc. and Skip had no idea...IT WAS PRICELESS, and i don't even like marc Cuban that much.

Gunga galunga. Gunga....
    The whole "sports reporters" ESPN thing is horrible. Just horrible. And to make matters worse, there are something like 12 shows that feature these same douchebags. Skip is one of the worst and it was fun watching Cuban debate him. I'm not sure Cuban said anything substantial, but certainly appeared more knowledgeable than Skip.
    Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. - HawkeyeNation

Scout Team
    Bayless is (in my best Charles Barkley voice) terrible just terrible. why they pay that guy is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post
    I'm still not sure if that's a step down or a step up for her.

Travel Squad

LOL, I'd only heard Bayless on quick commentary on ESPN, not his show. Then this week I saw that there was a little "twitter war" between him and Mark Cuban. Bayless pretty much dared Cuban to come on his show. Cuban did, and absolutely owned Bayless for being an overdramatic, non-informed hack. Hilarious.

Red Shirt
    She is also doing Olympic sports for NBC. I saw her interviewing Dan O'Brien and Bruce Jenner the other day. Quite a good interview. She has a lot of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by utsker View Post

Founding Father
    Cuban owned Bayless in that clip, I hope it goes viral.

Husker
    I have always liked the way Cuban runs his team. I thought he would have been a good if not great baseball team owner, anyway, I saw that show when it aired and loved it. Bayless reports like he reads the sports page on Yahoo and does not research or learn anything substantial and Cuban proved that. Bayless was like a deer in headlights. I can listen to Cowherd, mostly just chuckle about his opinions, he relates sports to everyday life, like a marriage and it just does not go over very well with me. Jim Rome is an egomaniac but has awesome guests, the thing that irritates me most about his show is the music, it sucks and just keeps playing over and over!! Mike and Mike are good bouncing stuff off of one another. One of my favorite shows on ESPN right now is Pardon the Interuption, I like Tony Cornhole, I don't care what anyone says about him. This is totally off the subject, but is media related, take a look at this headline, http://www.connectamarillo.com/news/...aspx?id=769445 Amarillo sure does know how to get people to click on something and read it.