Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Masterful coach finds ideal pupil in Johnny Stanton (Great Story): New Video

Smile Masterful coach finds ideal pupil in Johnny Stanton (Great Story): New Video

If we are blessed to land this young man, as I think we will, we are getting a high character kid with tons of ability....article from last September...sounds like he as the perfect tutor in high school...FWIW they went all the way last season and won the CIF Championship in one of the top leagues in the state of CA.....

"It's tough, but he makes me so much better," Stanton said of the challenge Welch presents. "He makes me a better quarterback. He makes me a better person."
    Welch, in his 23rd season as a head coach and 45th season coaching football, understands that he's not the easiest person to train under.

"I don't know how a player would say it's not tough playing for me," he said. "I always feel when we reach the edge of the envelope, I push the envelope further."

Stanton is a straight-A student who can run and pass. His toughness is unquestioned, and his ability to perform under pressure is proven. Now it's up to Welch to fine tune and bring out even more ability.

"I think Johnny Stanton has a wonderful future," Welch said. "He's intelligent, he's creative, he's focused. He's a caring person with lots of gifts. I have to help him develop his potential, which is immense."
    Rest Here:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep...anton-20110930
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

CIF Champs SMCHS Eagles praised by City Council

More....From Jan 2012....

The team, led by junior quarterback Johnny Stanton, defeated Bellarmine Prep of San Jose 42-37 in the CIF State Division 1 bowl championship at the Home Depot Center in Carson.
    http://www.ocregister.com/news/marga...ity-santa.html

More:

“What people might not know about him is that Johnny also has a very strong academic background, he's a Stanford-type of individual which always looks good in the eyes of college coaches and scouts. Remember, we're talking about a kid who is 6-2 and close to 220 pounds.''
    http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/...johnny-stanton

Oakland Elite 11: Johnny Stanton Highlights

Great stuff....strong arm...moves well...throws well on the run....great mechanics...he has learned well from Coach Welch....

I'm with N2FL how this kid is not a 4-star by all of the services is mind boggling....247 & ESPN have him as a 4-star...Scout & Rivals a 3-star...

Highlights from quarterback Johnny Stanton (Rancho Santa Margarita, Calif./Santa Margarita Catholic) at the Oakland Elite 11 camp.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8017142

FOX Sports Next - Johnny Stanton

More video...wow...what an arm and vision....as I said really good inside-runner.....

Throw first....run second type of guy....which I like and we need.....

Not a speedster....but we don't need that.....

Johnny Stanton is a quarterback for Santa Margarita High School in California. He led his team to a CIF Championship, and here is a look at him in action against Mission Viejo in the Semi-Finals.
    http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...anton/1294u6ih

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Great stuff....strong arm...moves well...throws well on the run....great mechanics...he has learned well from Coach Welch....

I'm with N2FL how this kid is not a 4-star by all of the services is mind boggling....247 & ESPN have him as a 4-star...Scout & Rivals a 3-star...
    Have USC and Alabama offered yet?

Scout Team
    He looks real solid.. I hope he pulls the trigger tomorrow.

#1 Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaGene View Post
    I dont believe either will.
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

#1 Husker Fan
    Thanks for all the info RR.
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

Red Shirt
    A smart, coachable kid with great athletic ability. I'll take a roster full of them!!

Red Shirt
    Sounds like number 22 who is quickly becoming a Husker legend. I'm going to enjoy an entire 6 pack of Yuengling if this young man commits.
    Thanks for the update Red Reign
    "My job as a football coach is to educate and prepare the kids who come into this program for the rest of their life..." Bo Pelini at the Penn State post game press conference Nov. 12 2011

Not a very good showing from the wide receivers in that video.....what camp was that Red? Anyway, he looks pretty good; not an elusive runner but effective. I did hear the announcers say that in the Valley game that their defense was doing a good job of keeping Stanton in the pocket to pass and was really effective. That to me is kinda scary if he isn't a decent pocket passer, still awful young though. I didn't see him throw many deep balls in those videos so arm strength for me was tough to evaluate but will take your word on it for now. Good grades, person, and player so I don't think you can have too many of those types on the team.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by SBHusker View Post
    I dont believe either will.
    I was sarcastically answering RR's question about why he wasn't 4-star across the board with all the recruiting services.

But on that note, those schools probably have their QB commit(s) already. NU has a real shot at this kid it would appear. Very nice indeed. I like how he throws on the run....

Watching film of the way this kid runs and the way he goes into contact with a would be tackler reminds me of how Scott Frost would punish guys for tackling him. At 6'2 and 220 he's bigger than most of our running backs. With his arm and the way he runs he would make a very good addition to this team.

Funny guy........USC already has a 5-star QB.....and Alabama a 4-star....