Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Washington DC questions

Washington DC questions

I will be there for three days in July a Sat-Sun-Mon end of the trip...Anyway I have a Capitol Building tour set up for Sat, Nats game Sunday, Pentagon tour Monday....are there any other organized tour type things I should try to set up or sights (other than the obvious)I should try to arrange?

Husker Immortal
    National Archives and see the Declaration of Independence and check out the WWII memorial on the Mall.

I really liked the National Air and Space Museum.

Mjw-

Check your inbox.

Junior Varsity
    We like to take one of the city tours first to get the lay of the land and hear the interesting stories about the various locations. Then we go off and explore on foot. The last time there, we enjoyed the DC Ducks http://www.dcducks.com/
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    National Archives can take some time... there is usually a line stretching outside. Then when you get in the building, there is another wait to get into the rotunda to see the "Charters of Freedom." Plan accordingly.

Make a stop at Ben's Chili Bowl, and if you are near Union Station at lunch time make a stop at Union Pub. It's the Husker watch site in the area, and they do a GREAT job on football Saturdays, going so far as to bring in Fairbury dogs, Runzas, and even Valentino's pizza sometimes. If you're gonna spend money at a restaurant, might as well be at a place that supports the Huskers!

Head Lackey
    Be sure to visit Ford's Theatre and the Peterson House (across the street, where Lincoln died)
    Leaning next to his deathbed is the blood-stained axe he used to kill vampires.
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

All Legend

Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    National Archives can take some time... there is usually a line stretching outside. Then when you get in the building, there is another wait to get into the rotunda to see the "Charters of Freedom." Plan accordingly.

Make a stop at Ben's Chili Bowl, and if you are near Union Station at lunch time make a stop at Union Pub. It's the Husker watch site in the area, and they do a GREAT job on football Saturdays, going so far as to bring in Fairbury dogs, Runzas, and even Valentino's pizza sometimes. If you're gonna spend money at a restaurant, might as well be at a place that supports the Huskers!
    I wonder if we ever actually unknowingly ran into each other at UP....
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Of the Smithsonian museums, Air & Space is probably my favorite. The Capitol Building Tour is nice. The FDR Memorial is off the beaten path, but is also pretty cool. The Ford Theater is overrated, IMO.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Of the Smithsonian museums, Air & Space is probably my favorite. The Capitol Building Tour is nice. The FDR Memorial is off the beaten path, but is also pretty cool. The Ford Theater is overrated, IMO.
    That's what all werewolves say.
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Ayyy!
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    I wonder if we ever actually unknowingly ran into each other at UP....
    I think we talked about meeting up at one point, but I ended up moving in early 2010.

Ayyy!
    The Air & Space Museum in DC is pretty good, but I prefer the Chantilly location... space shuttle, Enola Gay, Concorde, SR-71, etc.

There seems to be more "space" stuff on the Mall, though. You can't miss either way.

Man, I need to go back there. I'm planning a trip there for my graduation ceremony in 2014, but that's just too far away!

Ayyy!
    I'm surprised that you didn't enjoy it. Did you take the museum tour? Seeing Lincoln's overcoat, the blood-stained pillow, the Derringer that fired the bullet, etc. all was cool for me. Did you get to see a play there? The presentation of A Christmas Carol was great! The seats were really uncomfortable, and my 6'3" body didn't really fit.

The Air & Space Museum in DC is pretty good, but I prefer the Chantilly location... space shuttle, Enola Gay, Concorde, SR-71, etc.

There seems to be more "space" stuff on the Mall, though. You can't miss either way.

Man, I need to go back there. I'm planning a trip there for my graduation ceremony in 2014, but that's just too far away!
    Whenever I have a business trip to DC, I try and add on an extra day for sightseeing. It is such a cool town.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

I'm surprised that you didn't enjoy it. Did you take the museum tour? Seeing Lincoln's overcoat, the blood-stained pillow, the Derringer that fired the bullet, etc. all was cool for me. Did you get to see a play there? The presentation of A Christmas Carol was great! The seats were really uncomfortable, and my 6'3" body didn't really fit.
    I have not seen a play there. I thought the McLean house across the street was cool, but the theater itself seemed inauthentic for some reason. Don't know why I felt that way, maybe it was just because the whole thing had been rebuilt.

If you don't mind being put in a solemn mood, visit the Holocaust Museum. I wasn't planning on going there, but was glad I did.

I'll agree with Chi about Ford's Theater, unless you realize there isn't much to do there, but just look up at the Presidential box. There's kind of a small museum there also, but it's probably a place to spend 30 minutes, at most, unless you're a huge Lincoln fan.

Spent a summer interning out there, and would spend every Friday night at My Brother's Bar. Kinda tucked away, near the capitol building, but a nice little hole in the wall.

Poyer once told me that DC jails are some of the finest in the land. He can probably advise you on what to do depending on the type of tour you prefer.