Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Whitney: Tradition helped lure Gerry to Nebraska

Smile Whitney: Tradition helped lure Gerry to Nebraska

Nice stuff.... Yeah 4.42 speed in the 40 and a nasty streak and a big hitter makes playing early and often a reality...

When Nate Gerry traveled to the University of Nebraska with his family last weekend as part of a hand-picked group of high-level recruits, he already knew that he would be a Cornhusker.

So when Pelini invited Gerry and his parents into his office Saturday and talked of the program’s plans to play Gerry early and often at the safety position, the kid was ready to pounce.

“Coach Pelini asked if I had any questions,” says Gerry, ranked 93rd nationally by ESPN among 2013 recruits at the “athlete” position. “I told him I didn’t have any questions, but that I wanted to be a Husker and gave him my verbal commitment. He seemed pretty happy about that.”
    Pelini is not the first talent-seeking coach to promise playing time to a recruit, but he told Gerry and his parents, Brian and Kelli, that his assurances were not just lip service.

“He told Nate, ‘Our plan for you is to play you early,” said Brian Gerry, head athletic trainer at Augustana. “He said they had two seniors who were safeties and a junior who’s a good player, but after that they were looking for Nate to be part of the future of their defensive backfield.

“(Pelini) said, ‘We’re still undecided about whether we’re going to redshirt you or not, but your football future is as big as you want to make it. You have all the tools to be successful.’ ”
    Much, much more here:

http://www.huskermax.com/ ----linked on the home page

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...11/1002/SPORTS
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Husker Immortal
    nice article, thanks RR.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Nice stuff.... Yeah 4.42 speed in the 40 and a nasty streak and a big hitter makes playing early and often a reality...

Much, much more here:

http://www.huskermax.com/ ----linked on the home page

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...11/1002/SPORTS
    It took a lot of swallowing for Stu to write this article. He's been a well known Husker hater ever since he started at the Argus. I used to ride him at softball about his one sided view back in the 90's. I'm sure if I saw him at the Crow bar today, he would tell me why his Golden Domers wouldn't take an athlete of his low standings.

It's just funny to me how old I'm getting. Stu's son is in my group I'm coaching at the First Tee golf camp.
    Nebraska Football
    I don't know any other way to live...

Scout Team
    Looks like a very special kid, hope he becomes a superstar safety.

Husker Immortal
    that would be nice

Notre Dame fan in South Dakota...now that is funny....

Quote Originally Posted by The Lummox View Post
    It took a lot of swallowing for Stu to write this article. He's been a well known Husker hater ever since he started at the Argus. I used to ride him at softball about his one sided view back in the 90's. I'm sure if I saw him at the Crow bar today, he would tell me why his Golden Domers wouldn't take an athlete of his low standings.

It's just funny to me how old I'm getting. Stu's son is in my group I'm coaching at the First Tee golf camp.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Notre Dame fan in South Dakota...now that is funny....
    There's a lot more of them here than you would guess...
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

"The last 11 days we focused on Nebraska," said Snyder, "and now I know more about them than I want to."