Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Pointing Out The Obvious

Calling The Count

Pointing Out The Obvious

I've seen all the CWS teams up close, either practicing at UBA or TD Ameritrade, or playing at TD Ameritrade (or both), and the talent gap between those teams and Nebraska is as wide as the Grand Canyon (as if you didn't know this).

Nebraska is a roster make over from making it to the CWS, and even farther from competing in Omaha.

You should see some of those SEC players up close. They look like they could start at linebacker for NU, big dudes, no doubt.

Anyway, not to point out the obvious, but I thought I'd point out the obvious.
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

Husker Immortal
    Thanks for nothing, Captain Obvious!!
    "Statistics are like the bikini: what they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital."

Junior Varsity
    ...how did we (they?) let Mike Anderson erode our program into nothing?

Too many MLB drafts that affected only NU, I suppose.
    "The purpose of argument, should not be victory, but progress." proverb

Husker Immortal
    The better players, overal, do NOT want to play in cold weather, period!! Obviously!!!
    GO BIG RED!

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by CrnhskrBob View Post
    The better players, overal, do NOT want to play in cold weather, period!! Obviously!!!
    Is that why Kent State made the CWS and Stony Brook had 7 draft picks?

Scout Team
    Give Erstad some time we will be back before too long. Our bats were pretty impressive this year.

...certified in something
    Bats were impressive this year. The problem was pitching consinstancy .....which was expected with a new coaching staff. I think we'll see an improvement on this the longer the staff is in place
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by II HUSKERS II View Post
    Bats were impressive this year. The problem was pitching consinstancy .....which was expected with a new coaching staff. I think we'll see an improvement on this the longer the staff is in place
    Were they? Or was the opposing pitching unimpressive?

...certified in something
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    Were they? Or was the opposing pitching unimpressive?
    You can look at it both ways...Nebraska's BA went up from last years ...And the team ERA also went up. So, was it that Big 10 schools hit better than the Big 12? I don't think so. Pitching was what was holding this team back this year. But im sure with the new staff, it will get better year after year
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.

Husker Immortal
    The stats, I think, are a little misleading. Yeah, we looked great at the plate when we were up by 3 or 4 runs. But when we were down, we couldn't seem to buy a hit. I agree that the pitching needs to improve, but I don't think our hitting is a great strength either.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

Junior Varsity
    You can look at it both ways...Nebraska's BA went up from last years ...And the team ERA also went up. So, was it that Big 10 schools hit better than the Big 12? I don't think so. Pitching was what was holding this team back this year. But im sure with the new staff, it will get better year after year
    Quote Originally Posted by carrolltonsker View Post
    The stats, I think, are a little misleading. Yeah, we looked great at the plate when we were up by 3 or 4 runs. But when we were down, we couldn't seem to buy a hit. I agree that the pitching needs to improve, but I don't think our hitting is a great strength either.
    I think you guys may both be on to something. The hitting was improved (thanks, Coach Bolt) this year -- but not against top flight competition. The B1G squads seem to only have 1-2 solid hurlers per staff -- why I thought we could make a run in the tourney, if not for our pitching. Coach Silva didn't show a whole lot this year, in terms of developing talent, but I'm reserving judgment until I see if the staff makes a leap in year two. Consistent improvement is critical, but a big leap between years one and two would go a long ways toward improved recruiting, national attention, and relevance.