Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Dems: Photo ID requirement to vote is unacceptable!!! But...

Blackshirt

Quote Originally Posted by statman29 View Post
    Careful people reading this link will result in Warhorse repeatedly asking you if you read the link if you still do not agree with his radically left stance.
    Which of course is balanced by your radically right stance.
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    ROFLMAO You can always tell when what you are saying strikes true because it infuriates the righters and they unleash the attack dogs of denial, deflection, ridicule, insult, and mockery as they have done in this thread.
    Just want to thank those of you that proved the point I was making in this post. That would be the majority of those posts from #76 to this one. I struck a major righter denial nerve didn't I?
    Stooping to replying to your own post to be able to continue your silliness is low, EVEN for you. The only other one around here who does that is Huskerwirejay.

Rebel Alliance
    Just want to thank those of you that proved the point I was making in this post. That would be the majority of those posts from #76 to this one. I struck a major righter denial nerve didn't I?
    Yes you struck our collective funny bone...har har har...
    “Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing himself.” - Leo Tolstoy

Ok, Ok...we've all exchanged shots here, guys. Let's get back on topic.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    This is an outrage! I can't imagine any barrier more despicable, more insurmountable, more difficult to overcome, than to be asked to present a photo identification of yourself. I certainly hope that the Justice Department intervenes before untold thousands of delegates are disenfranchised from the convention.
    I look forward to hearing about your efforts to shuttle shut-ins to and from the DMV to get their photo ID.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    I look forward to hearing about your efforts to shuttle shut-ins to and from the DMV to get their photo ID.
    As a percentage of the people democrats fear losing if this was required, shut-ins probably would be rounded to zero. They could easily be addressed with alternate procedures. The others are overwhelmingly able, but for whatever reason unwilling to take even the merest responsibility for making a reasonable voting ID system work.

What's up with that?

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Its the paperwork notifying the newborn that republicans no longer care about them.

Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    As a percentage of the people democrats fear losing if this was required, shut-ins probably would be rounded to zero. They could easily be addressed with alternate procedures. The others are overwhelmingly able, but for whatever reason unwilling to take even the merest responsibility for making a reasonable voting ID system work.

What's up with that?
    How about the working poor who are doing 2-3 shifts a day and can't take time off work to go stand in line at the DMV (especially in Wiscy where very few are open more than one day/week)?
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

You can have your pet groomed, your windshield repaired, get Lasik eye surgery, get meals delivered, donate blood from a van. I bet you can get your picture taken too.
    IIRC, Georgia proposed to bend over backwards to get cost-free and trouble-free ID cards to anyone and the liberals still screamed bloody murder.

If there are organizations that are willing and able to shuttle people to the polls to get them to vote for their candidate, those same organizations are equally capable of shuttling people to the DMV to get their photo ID's. I also believe that the process of obtaining a photo ID can be completed by mail in most states.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

How about the working poor who are doing 2-3 shifts a day and can't take time off work to go stand in line at the DMV (especially in Wiscy where very few are open more than one day/week)?
    I don't think it's really possible to get a job in this day and age without a photo ID. Employers need to verify identity and are not likely to hire people who don't have any kind of photo identification. In other words, the people in your hypothetical (people working 2 or 3 shifts who never bothered to get a driver's license or other form of photo identification) simply don't exist. In other words, the burden of asking someone to spend an hour every five years so that election officials can verify that they are who they say they are is such a de minimus burden that it really amounts to no burden at all.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Heisman

I don't think it's really possible to get a job in this day and age without a photo ID. Employers need to verify identity and are not likely to hire people who don't have any kind of photo identification. In other words, the people in your hypothetical (people working 2 or 3 shifts who never bothered to get a driver's license or other form of photo identification) simply don't exist. In other words, the burden of asking someone to spend an hour every five years so that election officials can verify that they are who they say they are is such a de minimus burden that it really amounts to no burden at all.

Society Crazy Indeed

I can get you a photo ID, SS number etc in probably less that 15 mins.

So this photo ID requirement solves nothing. I don't think its the working poor they are trying to keep from voting. If they are looking for the illegal immigrants I can pretty much bet they already have a ID.

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Travel Squad
    If there are organizations that are willing and able to shuttle people to the polls to get them to vote for their candidate, those same organizations are equally capable of shuttling people to the DMV to get their photo ID's. I also believe that the process of obtaining a photo ID can be completed by mail in most states.
    Sounds like a chance for fraud.

Travel Squad
    That is simply not true, Chi. You are turning out to be the biggest advocate of big government on these boards.

For many people, especially white middle class people with cars, it can be hard to imagine how a voter ID law might suppress the right to vote. But almost a quarter of people aged 65 and older do not have a Wisconsin’s driver’s license or identification card. The same is true for 55 percent of all African American men and almost half of African American women. The percentages are significantly higher for African American men and women aged 18-24. Poor people are also less likely to have a photo ID.

Forty uncontested affidavits were filed in one of the lawsuits against Wisconsin’s voter ID law. The affidavit from Juanita Guardiola shows the Catch-22 nature of the law.

Last fall, Guardiola and her son Mauricio went to the DMV offices to get photo IDs. Guardiola was told she had to pay $28 for her ID, which irked her, but it was Mauricio who received the royal run-around.

Mauricio had a birth certificate, a school ID, a laminated social security card, and a letter to the home address from his physician. All seemed in order. But the clerk said that in order to get a photo ID, Mauricio had to produce a non-laminated social security card.

The next day, it was off to social security administration office, where they were given a printout confirming Mauricio’s social security number. Then it was back to the DMV office. The clerk, however, refused the social security printout and required an original card.

So it was back to the social security office, requesting a new card for Mauricio. But, as the affidavit states, “The clerks informed us that we could not receive a new social security card without producing first a photo ID from the state of Wisconsin.”
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/purple...rt=newestfirst

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    I don't think its the working poor they are trying to keep from voting.
    I agree that requiring a photo ID is absolutely NOT an attempt to disenfranchise legitimate citizens who wish to vote. Contrary to what some are suggesting, this is not part of a neo-Jim Crowism.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

Intellectual Patriot
    Get a passport, those things are golden everywhere.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    I can get you a photo ID, SS number etc in probably less that 15 mins.

So this photo ID requirement solves nothing. I don't think its the working poor they are trying to keep from voting. If they are looking for the illegal immigrants I can pretty much bet they already have a ID.
    You make a good point about the potential for fraudulent IDs but is that an excuse to not require IDs?
    In any case, IDs are only part of the answer. Election ink is another important piece of the solution.

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBraska View Post
    I agree that requiring a photo ID is absolutely NOT an attempt to disenfranchise legitimate citizens who wish to vote. Contrary to what some are suggesting, this is not part of a neo-Jim Crowism.
    I was a waitin' in the weeds for the first participant to answer: What is Jim Crow!!!!!!

Tell him what he wins BOB!
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Rollin' Huskers
    Wherever our RV is parked - currently Lincoln Nebraska
    Well there a couple (few) here that don't seem to appreciate the 'sanctity' of their vote much less mine. Just wondering if any of them have a dog?

http://www2.wsls.com/news/2012/jun/1...io-ar-1996759/
    GBR
    Badger by birth - Husker by choice !!!

That is simply not true, Chi. You are turning out to be the biggest advocate of big government on these boards.

Yeah, Mort, that's me, the biggest advocate of big government out there. Requiring people to have minimal proof of their identity is not "big government," it's responsible democracy. Your quoted language says nothing about working people lacking identification. Each of the laws requiring photo identification must, by order of the Supreme Court, provide a means to obtain such an ID for free and with minimal time and effort. If there are states where obtaining a photo ID is more difiicult than it should be, then that can be fixed, but is not a reasonable basis for throwing out the photo ID requirement altogether.

The United States Supreme Court has upheld the constititionality of a photo ID requirement. A bipartisan commission led by James Baker and Jimmy Carter recommended a photo ID requirement:

Twenty-four states now require identification for voters, with some systems likely to restrict registration. We are recommending a photo ID system for voters designed to increase registration with a more affirmative and aggressive role for states in finding new voters and providing free IDs for those without driver’s licenses. The formula we recommend will result in both more integrity and more access.
    http://www1.american.edu/ia/cfer/report/report.html

For this reason, even liberals on this board have agreed that a photo ID requirement is a reasonable protection against voter fraud.