Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Lance Armstrong formally charged with doping

Lance Armstrong formally charged with doping

They finally found enough to charge him.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arms...oping-by-usada

I always liked how he said he "never failed a test." But for years never said "I've never taken performance enhancing drugs."

it doesnt look good

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Sage View Post
    They finally found enough to charge him.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arms...oping-by-usada

I always liked how he said he "never failed a test." But for years never said "I've never taken performance enhancing drugs."
    In the article he is quoted as saying he never doped. First sentence last paragraph...

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Robert A. Heinlein

Gunga galunga. Gunga....
    "Consistent with" doesn't mean anything. "Consistent with" is an opinion, or at best a corollary. "Tested positive for" is a fact, and I didn't see that worded in the report.
    Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. - HawkeyeNation

Big Red Fan!!!

I tend to believe Armstrong. Don't they have random drug tests and testing after races?

no one in that sport seems to be clean

Husker Immortal
    Clean or not, Armstrong is one of the most incredible athletes in my lifetime. What he accomplished in his recovery from cancer and then to dominate an amazingly arduous sport like he did, is nothing short of miraculous.
    "According to a Gallup poll, President Obama's approval rating has dropped to 45 percent. Luckily for Obama, he has 'impeachment insurance.' It's called 'Joe Biden.'" –Jay Leno

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFanz View Post
    I tend to believe Armstrong. Don't they have random drug tests and testing after races?
    Yes they do, and he was never flagged in any tests. I really hope he is innocent, and will continue to believe he is so until proven otherwise.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsee View Post
    Yes they do, and he was never flagged in any tests. I really hope he is innocent, and will continue to believe he is so until proven otherwise.
    what if he was doping on some advanced stuff in where they don't(or didn't have them at the time) have tests for them? beta testers and others?

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    what if he was doping on some advanced stuff in where they don't(or didn't have them at the time) have tests for them? beta testers and others?

We can find a million what if's if we want to, but I still try and believe in innocent until proven guilty

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    Clean or not, Armstrong is one of the most incredible athletes in my lifetime. What he accomplished in his recovery from cancer and then to dominate an amazingly arduous sport like he did, is nothing short of miraculous.
    Agree.
    It is amazing that he could still ride a bike with his condition.

Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

God of Huskermax

Being that he beat all the other guys who were doping as well....I don't see an issue even if it is proven he was doping.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Being that he beat all the other guys who were doping as well....I don't see an issue even if it is proven he was doping.
    Yes, that's a good point.

Living in the bike racing hotbed of the USA, I have several friends in the industry. They both said that the advantages inherent in the type of blood doping and other things racers do to build endurance, and to recover quickly from prior day's races, is so great, that someone who is not doing it could not possibly beat someone who is, given that they are all elite racers. They race for four or five hours in the mountains, then have to turn around and do it the next day and the next and the next??? Recovery is everything. They both say that it doesn't mean that Lance wasn't the greatest rider in the world in those days. He was, because he was beating everyone else. But he couldn't have done it without leveling the playing field.
    "Those mothers would rather see the country go down in flames than let the times change."

-- Samuel L. Jackson

Red Shirt
    Cheating is cheating. I have no idea if Armstrong was clean or not. Frankly, I DON'T CARE, and it is the current use of performance enhancing drugs by many professional athletes that have caused myself and many others to "Not Care." I am all about seeing what the human body is capable of unenhanced. I think it is too bad that the doping occurs at all. Mostly money driven I guess.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Yes, that's a good point.

Living in the bike racing hotbed of the USA, I have several friends in the industry. They both said that the advantages inherent in the type of blood doping and other things racers do to build endurance, and to recover quickly from prior day's races, is so great, that someone who is not doing it could not possibly beat someone who is, given that they are all elite racers. They race for four or five hours in the mountains, then have to turn around and do it the next day and the next and the next??? Recovery is everything. They both say that it doesn't mean that Lance wasn't the greatest rider in the world in those days. He was, because he was beating everyone else. But he couldn't have done it without leveling the playing field.

After testing all the riders using hyperaccurate tests, the actual winner of the Tour De France every year since 2003 has been this guy....

Updates on the Lance Armstrong case:

Armstrong tried to sue USADA and got his suit tossed by the judge. The judge basically ended his state with:

A footnote on the documents states the following:
    "Contrary to Armstrong's apparent belief, pleadings filed in the United States District Courts are not press releases, internet blogs, or pieces of investigative journalism. All parties, and their lawyers, are expected to comply with the rules of this Court, and face potential sanctions if they do not."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ferr...us-postal-case

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/arms...sada-dismissed