Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: North Dakota decides

Husker Immortal

North Dakota decides

Looks like property tax stays but the "Fighting Sioux" are in trouble.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9...xes-and-mascot

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer View Post
    Looks like property tax stays but the "Fighting Sioux" are in trouble.

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/9...xes-and-mascot
    5 billion dollar surplus and they are voting it down? Not sure I understand that , but if that's what they want knock yourself out..
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

All Legend
    As North Dakota goes, so goes the nation.

Buy your Fighting Sioux gear before it's too late.

Best damn school knickname in the country, hands down. Too bad.

6th year Redshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBlack&Blue View Post
    Buy your Fighting Sioux gear before it's too late.

Best damn school knickname in the country, hands down. Too bad.
    Agreed. But it's time to put this to bed, the consequences of keeping up the fight is only alienating them from other teams/conferences and hurts the program by not allowing it to participate and host certain tourneys.

Honestly, I hope they don't even come up with a new knickname, just be UND, at least for hockey. Fans will always refer to them as the Fighting Sioux, even if the team can no longer wear the logo.

Blackshirt
    PC strikes another blow. To me and many others, they will always be the Fighting Sioux........a name to HONOR the tribe, not belittle it.
    I used to have superpowers.....but my therapist took them away...

Red Shirt
    If they have to change the name they should be called the DAKOTANS so that only the North DAKOTANS can pronounce it right. Like in the movie FARGO aaayyyy.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
    If they have to change the name they should be called the DAKOTANS so that only the North DAKOTANS can pronounce it right. Like in the movie FARGO aaayyyy.
    Yaa.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Society Crazy Indeed
    Best sports team name ever...A great history and tradition. They will always be the fighting Sioux.
    Like McJack I hope they just leave the name blank....When it's ok with Sioux nation it should be ok with everyone else.

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    When it's ok with Sioux nation it should be ok with everyone else.
    This is the key point. Sounds like political BS going on when the actual tribe has no issue with the name use.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    This is the key point. Sounds like political BS going on when the actual tribe has no issue with the name use.
    Voters statewide turned out in numbers not seen in a primary election for more than five decades, according to unofficial results, yet most members of the Standing Rock tribe took a pass. Sioux County, where much of the reservation is based, voted 184-159 to retire the University of North Dakota’s nickname and Indian head logo.

That represented just 8 percent of county residents, 84 percent of whom are American Indians.“By and large most people either don’t care or support the name,’’ Lyle Antelope, a
    member of the Standing Rock Sioux Indian Reservation, said Wednesday.

The issue, which has divided the state for decades, boiled over seven years ago when UND was placed on a list of schools with American Indian nicknames that the NCAA deemed hostile and abusive. Those colleges were told to dump the names or risk sanctions against their athletic teams.

http://articles.boston.com/2012-06-1...be-reservation

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

Husker Immortal
    PC at its best

pray for me ;)
    I wonder when the politicians will go after the Irish?

6th year Redshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Best sports team name ever...A great history and tradition. They will always be the fighting Sioux.
    Like McJack I hope they just leave the name blank....When it's ok with Sioux nation it should be ok with everyone else.
    My point exactly. By not choosing another moniker, they essentially remain the Fighting Sioux, and the name supporters win. Everyone will always know why the team doesn't have a name and can't wear its' logo, and people will forever refer to them in conversation by their true name. Change the name and the ncaa wins.

Big Red Fan!!!

I like the name. It's stupid that it's even topic of discussion.

Society Crazy Indeed
    I think I found it!!!!