Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 80

Thread: The Fiscal Legacy of George W Bush

  1. #16
    Oh my!
    Red_in_Blue_Land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Posts
    12,861
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    What does that even mean?
    And now we know why it doesn't stop...
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

    "Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

  2. #17
    Blackshirt

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post
    And now we know why it doesn't stop...
    What does THAT even mean?
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

  3. #18
    All Big 10
    huskernut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    18,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    I don't see this as much as a hindsight exercise as a warning. Similar failed policies will continue under a Mitt Romney Presidency and it will further sink our country. And yes, our current malaise continues to be George W Bush's fault. Period.
    I suppose I can understand your pessimism, because Bush was a bad President in terms of the economy and the budget. And I partly agree with what you say about malaise, except I would simply say that the current malaise isn't significantly Obama's fault (and it is only partly Bush's fault.)

    But Obama made some blunders which have put us in a weak position, and he hasn't demonstrated anything like the kind of understanding, leadership, or negotiating ability it will take to move this country forward. His stimulus was actually too small and poorly constructed, and he wasted a huge amount of political capital, and committed the country to a whole new expensive entitlement, in an awfully constructed health care reform, when that clearly wasn't the priority for the country.

    Ironically, Obama, taking advice from Rahm Emanuel not to "waste a crisis", did exactly what Bush did when 9/11 gave him high approval ratings: pursue a completely unrelated agenda.

    W was perhaps not as intelligent as the average poster on this board, which is frightening for the leader of the free world. Romney in comparison to both W, and the smarter Obama, is quite gifted. And regardless of the political rhetoric of today, he will cross the aisle to do centrist deals that move the country forward in a good way, at least in comparison to the last 12 years.

    I suspect 10 years from now there will be people who didn't support Romney today, looking back and giving him credit.

  4. #19
    Blackshirt

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    15,084
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    I suppose I can understand your pessimism, because Bush was a bad President in terms of the economy and the budget. And I partly agree with what you say about malaise, except I would simply say that the current malaise isn't significantly Obama's fault (and it is only partly Bush's fault.)

    But Obama made some blunders which have put us in a weak position, and he hasn't demonstrated anything like the kind of understanding, leadership, or negotiating ability it will take to move this country forward. His stimulus was actually too small and poorly constructed, and he wasted a huge amount of political capital, and committed the country to a whole new expensive entitlement, in an awfully constructed health care reform, when that clearly wasn't the priority for the country.

    Ironically, Obama, taking advice from Rahm Emanuel not to "waste a crisis", did exactly what Bush did when 9/11 gave him high approval ratings: pursue a completely unrelated agenda.

    W was perhaps not as intelligent as the average poster on this board, which is frightening for the leader of the free world. Romney in comparison to both W, and the smarter Obama, is quite gifted. And regardless of the political rhetoric of today, he will cross the aisle to do centrist deals that move the country forward in a good way, at least in comparison to the last 12 years.

    I suspect 10 years from now there will be people who didn't support Romney today, looking back and giving him credit.
    Curious to know why you think Romney is "quite gifted." Gifted at what?
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

  5. #20
    All Big 10
    huskernut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    18,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Curious to know why you think Romney is "quite gifted." Gifted at what?
    He's intelligent, understands economics at both the firm level and the economy level, knows how to translate understanding into vision, then into plans, and then how to work with and through people to implement them. Intelligent leadership of that kind is more common in the private sector than in the public sphere, IMO, but not exclusively in business. There are people who are builders in charity, and historically in unionism as well.

    Most people who have this bundle of skills don't want to be in politics because it is too frustrating not to get to create something.

    But Romney also has a good understanding of how politics works from the executive perspective, which is a big plus in comparison to Obama's purely legislative background. I think Obama's greenness as the executive shows often, which should be a real disappointment to people who closely share his agenda.

  6. #21
    All Big 10
    huskernut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    18,516
    This got me to thinking about politicians. What I wrote might be taken to mean that it isn't possible to be a politician and be a very gifted individual. I'm not saying that. In fact, while experienced and capable, Romney isn't particularly gifted in politics, like he is in being an executive. I think in my lifetime though, both Reagan and Clinton had political gifts that allowed them to be very effective Presidents. If there was someone of their caliber on offer from either party I might favor them.

    Obama is a good guy, and he is smart enough to understand what is going on around him. But I don't think he is smart or visionary enough to create, and his raw political skills don't compare to a Reagan or Clinton either.

  7. #22
    Scout Team
    Nebraska Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southern Japan
    Posts
    4,059
    Both sides are equally to blame.

    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    So are you suggesting there is an expiration date on blame?

  8. #23
    Moderator
    redmachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    7,411
    In the end, does it matter that it's Bush's fault? Obama has failed in his term to fix anything and could have possibly made things worse.

    Time to give the next guy a try.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

  9. #24
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,855
    Quote Originally Posted by redmachine View Post
    In the end, does it matter that it's Bush's fault? Obama has failed in his term to fix anything and could have possibly made things worse.
    disagree on this aspect.

  10. #25
    Junior Varsity
    MyBraska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    behind enemy lines in Boulder County
    Posts
    6,561
    Quote Originally Posted by akweasel View Post

    Again, I see the far right and far left as the equal problem......and biggest reason we won't soon have any solutions in this country beyond more bickering.
    It seems to me that this is ultimately the condition that we find ourselves in. I've lost hope that the complete collection of doofuses in D.C. can even balance their own personal checkbooks, much less our nation's.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

  11. #26
    Moderator
    redmachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    7,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    disagree on this aspect.
    Duly noted.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)
    “Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you.” -- (Benjamin Franklin)

  12. #27
    Heisman

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McKinney, Texas, United States
    Posts
    11,787
    Quote Originally Posted by akweasel View Post
    Again, I see the far right and far left as the equal problem......and biggest reason we won't soon have any solutions in this country beyond more bickering.
    Yes, exactly. Bickering on HM, all the way up to bickering in Congress!

    Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    And yes, our current malaise continues to be George W Bush's fault. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Will be interesting to hear what a few of the right wing ideologues on here have to say about this....
    The clearest example of idealogues here are those who continue to insist "its entirely the fault of the other side!" (See above)

  13. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    Was there anything significant that happened after January 2001 that might have had an effect?
    The significant thing that happened was BUSH. Example: the NASDAQ was at 4000 toward the end of the year 2000, and then W took it down to 1500 in 2003. Thanks Bush!!

    W made some significant missteps but if we're not willing to be rational and place "blame" where it belongs instead of where our emotions guide us, we will continue to get what we've been getting (which is to say, we're doomed).

  14. #29
    pray for me ;)
    ColoREDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Denver 'burbs
    Posts
    48,295
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    Was there anything significant that happened after January 2001 that might have had an effect?
    Fall of the Husker empire.

    Everything is Solich's fault.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

  15. #30
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,855
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Fall of the Husker empire.

    Everything is Solich's fault.
    hehe.







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •