Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Huskers lead for Top JUCO ILB Tyrone Ward

I haven't taken the time to watch Ward's film but for those who have, does he compare at all to Lavonte David in terms of talent? They may have a different skill set but is he as talented a prospect.

If the HS talent is such that they choose to pass on Ward, would they have also passed on David in the 2013 recruiting cycle?

David was one of the top 5 Blackshirts in my mind in the past 10 years...would he have had that opportunity given the current circumstances??

David as you may recall was not highly recruited out of HS or JUCO.....so I would think he would be passed on too with the talent we have in place....

I remember watching Lavonte in the JUCO title game and you could tell he was a special talent and I said so on this forum....his size etc. scrared away alot fo schools....based on the need of the time we picked up a gem...so it was the right thing at the right time....

I think Ward is a backup option if all else falls through...and that is not a knock on his talent....more that he is a 2 year guy as far as playing time goes....

Quote Originally Posted by NS Husker View Post
    I haven't taken the time to watch Ward's film but for those who have, does he compare at all to Lavonte David in terms of talent? They may have a different skill set but is he as talented a prospect.

If the HS talent is such that they choose to pass on Ward, would they have also passed on David in the 2013 recruiting cycle?

David was one of the top 5 Blackshirts in my mind in the past 10 years...would he have had that opportunity given the current circumstances??
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToBeRed View Post
    N2FL,

If we only get one between Caliborne and Newby, would you agree they're likely done with LB this class unless it's the right guy? I can't see Nebraska moving much further down the list after those two.
    I think Marcus Newby might be the #1 remaining LB target on the Huskers' board. I think they have a better shot at 4* Darian Claiborne, though. Maryland seems to be the favorite for Newby while Texas A&M and Nebraska seem to have the edge for Claiborne. If Nebraska signs either, I would again rank their LB class among the best in the country. I think they could still take 4 Lb'ers.

If I were Nebraska, I would have offered Chans Cox as an 'athlete' and just put him where he was needed most. I believe Nebraska offered him as a TE. IMO, even if Nebraska gets a second and third TE commitment from #1 JUCO TE Beau Sandland and Iowa TE Jon Wisnieski, along with an additional 3rd LB like Claiborne, I would still make a hard push for Cox as well.

Looking at the Husker roster and assuming that Thomas Brown will not qualify, the Huskers stack up like so in 2013:

Zaire Anderson (Sr.), David Santos (So.), Michael Rose (Fr./So.), Jared Afalava (Fr./So.), Max Pirman (So.), Trevor Roach (Jr.) and then the kids they sign this class. Not a lot of proven commodities.

Quote Originally Posted by N2FL View Post
    I think Marcus Newby might be the #1 remaining LB target on the Huskers' board. I think they have a better shot at 4* Darian Claiborne, though. Maryland seems to be the favorite for Newby while Texas A&M and Nebraska seem to have the edge for Claiborne. If Nebraska signs either, I would again rank their LB class among the best in the country. I think they could still take 4 Lb'ers.

If I were Nebraska, I would have offered Chans Cox as an 'athlete' and just put him where he was needed most. I believe Nebraska offered him as a TE. IMO, even if Nebraska gets a second and third TE commitment from #1 JUCO TE Beau Sandland and Iowa TE Jon Wisnieski, along with an additional 3rd LB like Claiborne, I would still make a hard push for Cox as well.

Looking at the Husker roster and assuming that Thomas Brown will not qualify, the Huskers stack up like so in 2013:

Zaire Anderson (Sr.), David Santos (So.), Michael Rose (Fr./So.), Jared Afalava (Fr./So.), Max Pirman (So.), Trevor Roach (Jr.) and then the kids they sign this class. Not a lot of proven commodities.
    Agree that we could take 4 LBs. I have a hard time seeing us turn down either one of Newby or Claiborne if they both want to commit.

I don't think we have much of a shot at Cox at this point. He's said recently he'd rather play defense. But I agree with you on what our approach probably should have been.

As far as TE is concerned...I don't think we get Wisnieski, he's also said recently Iowa is the team to beat. I have a feeling that Casey Sayles will get an offer eventually

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by jslsker View Post
    Agree that we could take 4 LBs. I have a hard time seeing us turn down either one of Newby or Claiborne if they both want to commit.

I don't think we have much of a shot at Cox at this point. He's said recently he'd rather play defense. But I agree with you on what our approach probably should have been.

As far as TE is concerned...I don't think we get Wisnieski, he's also said recently Iowa is the team to beat. I have a feeling that Casey Sayles will get an offer eventually
    My argument for taking 4 LB'ers over 3 is simple. As of last season, linebacker was one of the weakest positions on the team. That does not get fixed in one recruiting class, I dont care if it was one of the best LB'er classes in the country. When you lose Lavonte David, you have not upgraded a position the following year.

And I agree 100% you take Claiborne AND Newby if you are lucky enough to have the option. Sort of like last year when Nebraska was still in the running for 4* LB Quanzell Lambert, even though they already had 3 commited at the time.

With TE, if Nebraska can get a commitment from Beau Sandland, they will be able to be creative with their 3rd TE recruit if they took a 3rd. IMPO, Sandland is Nebraska's #1 TE target. He is a December grad and would be able to take part in spring practices. IMPO he would be the starting TE for Nebraska in game 1 of 2013. He is clearly one of the best and most sought after JUCO recruits in the country, regardless of position. He has around 20 offers and that is rare for a JUCO kid at this point in time. Other than a select few, most JUCO kids get their run of offers starting in October. Besides Nebraska, he has offers from LSU, Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, Miami...

I would target Chans Cox as an OLB myself, although I can see his talents being used as a TE. I think he is talented enough to be successful at either spots. If he wanted to play "D", I would use that to recruit him harder. I would take a talent like his in my class. Maybe after a redshirt year, he and the coaches decide to move to TE? Or he stays and thrives at LB'er...win-win. I dont think Nebraska ever really made a strong push for Chans.

My argument for taking 4 LB'ers over 3 is simple. As of last season, linebacker was one of the weakest positions on the team. That does not get fixed in one recruiting class, I dont care if it was one of the best LB'er classes in the country. When you lose Lavonte David, you have not upgraded a position the following year.

And I agree 100% you take Claiborne AND Newby if you are lucky enough to have the option. Sort of like last year when Nebraska was still in the running for 4* LB Quanzell Lambert, even though they already had 3 commited at the time.

With TE, if Nebraska can get a commitment from Beau Sandland, they will be able to be creative with their 3rd TE recruit if they took a 3rd. IMPO, Sandland is Nebraska's #1 TE target. He is a December grad and would be able to take part in spring practices. IMPO he would be the starting TE for Nebraska in game 1 of 2013. He is clearly one of the best and most sought after JUCO recruits in the country, regardless of position. He has around 20 offers and that is rare for a JUCO kid at this point in time. Other than a select few, most JUCO kids get their run of offers starting in October. Besides Nebraska, he has offers from LSU, Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, Miami...

I would target Chans Cox as an OLB myself, although I can see his talents being used as a TE. I think he is talented enough to be successful at either spots. If he wanted to play "D", I would use that to recruit him harder. I would take a talent like his in my class. Maybe after a redshirt year, he and the coaches decide to move to TE? Or he stays and thrives at LB'er...win-win. I dont think Nebraska ever really made a strong push for Chans.
    Would agree with most of that.

I think Casey Sayles will get an offer eventually, regardless of what occurs with Sandland.

The only difference is that I do in fact like Cox better on offense as opposed to defense, but we probably won't get him with that approach. We'd need to sell him on having a chance on defense in order to get him IMO. Also agree on our push for Cox too.

Sandland is a 5-star TE....one of the Top 10 JUCO players in the country....if we land him we done at that position and I agree with N2FL he will start from game one....I don't see us taking anymore TE's if we land him....

And extremely rare for a JUCO guy to have 20 offers at this point or any point....

I think we have a fair shot at him....we have a huge need and are a team on the rise and I think that will play well with him....

Would agree with most of that.

I think Casey Sayles will get an offer eventually, regardless of what occurs with Sandland.

The only difference is that I do in fact like Cox better on offense as opposed to defense, but we probably won't get him with that approach. We'd need to sell him on having a chance on defense in order to get him IMO. Also agree on our push for Cox too.

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberbach View Post
    ..... uh, like the moniker "Greatest Fan of All"?
    HA
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    Well look at this! it is true..when one loses one sense..in this case a sense of humor, the other senses are heightened...In this case, a sense of self importance

Travel Squad

I am still a little shocked that Cox was not offered as "whatever you want to play here". Legacy recruit highly regarded by many recruiting experts and sites....I like the prospects at LB right now though.....

I wish I could bug the staffs phone during recruiting calls for an hour just to see what is said....

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    I am still a little shocked that Cox was not offered as "whatever you want to play here". Legacy recruit highly regarded by many recruiting experts and sites....I like the prospects at LB right now though.....

I wish I could bug the staffs phone during recruiting calls for an hour just to see what is said....
    HuskerGate... I'm not a crook

Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Sandland is a 5-star TE....one of the Top 10 JUCO players in the country....if we land him we done at that position and I agree with N2FL he will start from game one....I don't see us taking anymore TE's if we land him....

And extremely rare for a JUCO guy to have 20 offers at this point or any point....

I think we have a fair shot at him....we have a huge need and are a team on the rise and I think that will play well with him....

I still think we'd take another TE for depth. If we are going to a power run game..we'll need a number of tight ends. Agreed that Sandland is a stud.

Per Sayles last update...the staff told him that we were taking 3 TE this year and were looking at a JUCO.

Yeah we know who the JUCO is...

I suspect he gets the offer if Sanland passes as we will not know on that until late this year...

I still think we'd take another TE for depth. If we are going to a power run game..we'll need a number of tight ends. Agreed that Sandland is a stud.

Per Sayles last update...the staff told him that we were taking 3 TE this year and were looking at a JUCO.

I suspect he gets the offer if Sanland passes as we will not know on that until late this year...
    I think he'll have an offer before Sandland's decision is made.

Scout Team

Being a December grad, Beau Sandland will not drag it out too long.

Also saw that Ohio TE Devon Edwards, who has a Husker offer, will be visiting Nebraska officially. IMPO Edwards is a better player than Casey Sayles.

I sure hope not....

Yes I saw that too....

Oh and I agree...

Also saw that Ohio TE Devon Edwards, who has a Husker offer, will be visiting Nebraska officially. IMPO Edwards is a better player than Casey Sayles.

Sandland has been on record multiple times and has been pretty consistent with the fact that he will take all 5 visits and not make a decision until December.

Sayles had a pretty impressive camp here. I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't receive an offer.

Scout Team
    Sandland has been on record multiple times and has been pretty consistent with the fact that he will take all 5 visits and not make a decision until December.

Sayles had a pretty impressive camp here. I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't receive an offer.
    I was not implying that I thought Sandland would commit before the summer was over. Just that he would likely decide by Thanksgiving and not around the time we find out who will be playing in the Super Bowl, like some elite recruits do.