Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

View Poll Results: What should our 2012 expectations be?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • National Championship

3 6.00%
  • BIG Championship

25 50.00%
  • Legends Division title

12 24.00%
  • 2nd in Legends Division

9 18.00%
  • 3rd in Legends Division

1 2.00%
  • 4th in Legends Division

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should our 2012 expectations be?

Red Shirt

I'm going with second place in our division. I will vote differently when we come out in the second half and dominate the good teams. As opposed to fall completly apart. I do agree that we are on the very verge of being a great team. Someday maybe we will get a new o-line coach. Sorry to all the Barney lovers out there, but its evident we need to be better there.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRedWood View Post
    Maybe a little different perspective...(duh)

I would expect that the culture which has been incubated by the staff of team leadership and buy-in to continue to grow and flourish.

I would expect that the team leaders would make sure, no matter what, that individual performers would be held accountable.

I would expect that the team goal is to win every game.

I would expect that the coaching staff has matured and will continue to grow into their ultimate coaching abilities and it will be evident on the field.

I would expect that the entire team gives its greatest effort on every play on every game.

I would expect that "inopportune penalties" diminish to "no longer a concern."

I would expect that both sides of the team begin to function as well-oiled, functioning units.

I would expect that the team remains cohesive and the leadership for next year moves them forward toward the NC.

I wold expect that if the fans see this kind of thing going on, that they will respond accordingly.
    Win or lose, I will have ZERO disappointments if that statement is true.
    Train Insane or Stay the Same! @TheRedOne80

All Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Red93 View Post
    Win or lose, I will have ZERO disappointments if that statement is true.
    I agree. Unfortunately a lot of fans view the outcome as reflecting the effort, so by their logic, if you lose, you couldn't have been giving maximum effort.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Blackshirt
    The older I get, the more important effort, as opposed to results, becomes.
    Train Insane or Stay the Same! @TheRedOne80

We could end up anywhere between 3rd in the division to conference champs. There's very little difference between the top five teams in the conference right now. MSU, UM, and NU could all win their division. OSU and Wisky could both win their division. The parity at the top of the B1G is hard to miss.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    I agree. Unfortunately a lot of fans view the outcome as reflecting the effort, so by their logic, if you lose, you couldn't have been giving maximum effort.
    You certainly have a very low opinion of "lots" of your fellow fans. I believe that there are very few fans that are so small minded as to blame the players' effort for losses. Most are smart enough to realize that these young men have lots of pride and generally give great effort each game. Yes, there are certainly examples of where teams/players seem not to have given their best, but with proper leadership in place, those should be few and far between. Most of the fans realize that there is a lot more to winning football games than the effort of the players. Most realize that coaching, scheming, practicing, leadership, attitude, motivation, reacting/adjusting, decision-making, talent, turnovers and occasionally luck, among other things, are factors in winning games. Many of these things are beyond the players' control.

Red Shirt
    B1G Championship should be the goal, and hopefully that can give them the opportunity at the NC.

Expectations, thing or things to look forward to. The probability of the outcome of the season. Considering all the many turns and changes of direction for the program, I would imagine that many things begin to build upward on the foundation that has been constructed. The program has wandered for over a decade after it's great success. Looking at the state of the program the staff appears to be in place and beginning to understand each other. They were themselves learning another new offense. The head coach was learning on the job how to be a head coach. The program itself left what they knew of the Big 12 and transitioned to the Big 10. Bo took a lighted faster defense into a conference known for big rugged offensive fronts. So many changes of directions that one should admire the constant nine win seasons and not linger to long on pains of growth.

Now that the foundation has been set I think that Bo should be more comfortable in his roll. The offense can work on refinement rather than coaches and players alike learning as they go. Redshirting and the walkon program begin to pay dividends. Less positions being filled by underclassmen and tighter feeling among the players as they grow together. That creates leadership and a collective purpose to achieve goals. Players playing faster because they understand the concepts and techniques. That probability becomes greater that success will come. Expectations become higher with confidence.

The league itself has its own dynamics. Players depart and new players arrive. What was once a veteran team becomes questioned as younger player step up. The dynamics are always changing from year to year. Some superstars move on and others appear. For Nebraska they finally are seeing a quarterback that has paid some dues and now for the first time settles in on an offense and work on refinement. An offensive front that has many players with game experience. They as well refine their game. We have a plethora of receivers of all types. Some big, some fast, some with blocking ability and youngsters with pedigrees on the rise. We have that consummate workhorse of a running back and another big horse backing him up. Nebraska with most likely the best kicking game in the league. A blue collar defense that now can expand its game. Nebraska has a lot of good things to hang their hats on.

We keep hearing about the process. Always growing and evolving. It wasn't too long ago we saw freshmen manning the offensive front. An underclassman for a quarterback. The dynamics have changed for Nebraska. One must expect big growth now that the foundation is in place. Growth for the staff as well as the players which both have paid their dues. I read some on the board saying they haven't seen the progress on the field. They have a valid point. I also have been around long enough to know how growth and time changes the dynamics. I expect that big step. That arrival of this program in the league. Tough schedule. Sure, it's not going to be easy. It never will in this league for any team. Yet I feel that it's just about ready to bust out. It's about our turn as far as dynamics are concerned. I'm optimistic even with this schedule. As the coaches say, one game at a time. Every team will have obstacles to overcome. Just maybe attrition can be beaten with more pieces in place to protect the expectations..

Red Shirt

10-4 if we lose conf title game AND bowl game will leave me sad, BUT:
    11-3 and we lose only 1 of the last 2 games mentioned above, and I will think its a good season,

my thought is we need to make it to the conf title game this year, if we lose that, so be it, but we need to finish strong with a new years day bowl win against a top 15 team,

if we finish 11-1, and DONT make it to conf title game, thenI can live with that too, because we will still be in the top 6-7 and still go to a bcs game.

if we finish 10-2 and DONT make it to conf title game, we still have an outside chance at a bcs game, cause we will be ranked probably in the top 10-11, (if we get a bowl win to finish 11-2, then a nice year)
    That gov't is best, which governs least -- Thomas Paine

Group B
    I am bracing myself for 3 losses and watching Michigan represent our division in the CCG.

I am hoping for a magical run that lands us playing for the big chalupa.
    That's not what he said you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English! - Johnny Ringo.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    Expectations, thing or things to look forward to. The probability of the outcome of the season. Considering all the many turns and changes of direction for the program, I would imagine that many things begin to build upward on the foundation that has been constructed. The program has wandered for over a decade after it's great success. Looking at the state of the program the staff appears to be in place and beginning to understand each other. They were themselves learning another new offense. The head coach was learning on the job how to be a head coach. The program itself left what they knew of the Big 12 and transitioned to the Big 10. Bo took a lighted faster defense into a conference known for big rugged offensive fronts. So many changes of directions that one should admire the constant nine win seasons and not linger to long on pains of growth.

Now that the foundation has been set I think that Bo should be more comfortable in his roll. The offense can work on refinement rather than coaches and players alike learning as they go. Redshirting and the walkon program begin to pay dividends. Less positions being filled by underclassmen and tighter feeling among the players as they grow together. That creates leadership and a collective purpose to achieve goals. Players playing faster because they understand the concepts and techniques. That probability becomes greater that success will come. Expectations become higher with confidence.

The league itself has its own dynamics. Players depart and new players arrive. What was once a veteran team becomes questioned as younger player step up. The dynamics are always changing from year to year. Some superstars move on and others appear. For Nebraska they finally are seeing a quarterback that has paid some dues and now for the first time settles in on an offense and work on refinement. An offensive front that has many players with game experience. They as well refine their game. We have a plethora of receivers of all types. Some big, some fast, some with blocking ability and youngsters with pedigrees on the rise. We have that consummate workhorse of a running back and another big horse backing him up. Nebraska with most likely the best kicking game in the league. A blue collar defense that now can expand its game. Nebraska has a lot of good things to hang their hats on.

We keep hearing about the process. Always growing and evolving. It wasn't too long ago we saw freshmen manning the offensive front. An underclassman for a quarterback. The dynamics have changed for Nebraska. One must expect big growth now that the foundation is in place. Growth for the staff as well as the players which both have paid their dues. I read some on the board saying they haven't seen the progress on the field. They have a valid point. I also have been around long enough to know how growth and time changes the dynamics. I expect that big step. That arrival of this program in the league. Tough schedule. Sure, it's not going to be easy. It never will in this league for any team. Yet I feel that it's just about ready to bust out. It's about our turn as far as dynamics are concerned. I'm optimistic even with this schedule. As the coaches say, one game at a time. Every team will have obstacles to overcome. Just maybe attrition can be beaten with more pieces in place to protect the expectations..

Excellent, Train...and that last line is fabulous.