Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: USA vs Guatamala Game Thread

disappointing showing but, we're still atop the group with 4 points and GD. We have ways to go, no doubt.

Scout Team
    Japan vs Australia was a very entertaining game last night... final was a 1-1 tie. Both teams played well, I thought.

Tough result, but still atop the group. Obviously my prediction was off by just a smidge (but you gotta give me credit for the Guatemala goal, right ). Hopefully the time off between qualifiers will give the team a chance to regroup, drop some weak links (Gooch, Edu) and improve. Guatemala was probably the toughest road game, in terms of travel and atmosphere.

Any place in C. America is tough...I stand by what I have been saying there is a pattern here......another mediocre performance and a team who seems to lack the fitness to finish out games...and that is very concerning....because we have always been known as one of the top two or three fittest teams in the world....does not appear to be so anymore...

Changing players will help but is not a recipe for fixing what is wrong....the issues go beyond that....

Not sure how the team regroups or improves playing for their club sides as a team?

Gutamala is no tougher than El Salvador, Honduras etc....Central America is a bear for the reasons we all know....Mexico got treated just as bad last night in El Salvador....

This team has issues an we are darn lucky under the new CONCACAF format we do not have to play Mexico....except in a friendly in Azteca in August...

Bottom line is you can't poo-poo off the issues we have....its pretty obvious what they are and yeah we probably will qualify because the format is set up for that to happen....but as I have said before this team would struggle to get out of the group stage in Brazil (ala Germany in 2006)....no one fears us in CONCACAF right now....and I can't say I blame them....

Lets hope the light comes on and we move on with a vengence....but there is nothing we have seen that suggests that....and that makes me sad...

Yeah the first goal we have given up to Guatamala in 24 years....wow....

Oh and only top of the group on goal dif.....to Jamaica....ouch....

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    Tough result, but still atop the group. Obviously my prediction was off by just a smidge (but you gotta give me credit for the Guatemala goal, right ). Hopefully the time off between qualifiers will give the team a chance to regroup, drop some weak links (Gooch, Edu) and improve. Guatemala was probably the toughest road game, in terms of travel and atmosphere.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

By regroup, I mean the coaches will have a chance to go back, look over what worked, and what didn't, and go from there. These were the first truly meaningful games for Klinsmann. He'll have a chance now to tweak things, and hopefully make changes for the better.

As far as fitness, you don't drop in fitness from one month of camp, not when you're an international-caliber athlete, and you've been training and playing with your club. Maybe it's the age thing? There were a lot of years on the field for the USMNT over the past 2 games.

Looking back, playing so many games in such a short time frame was probably a bad idea. They should have just played 2 friendly's, instead of 3. Not much you can do about that now though, just learn from it. Even though the USMNT may be ahead of Jamaica now (without a head to head matchup to gauge where the teams stand), Mexico made it out of the 3rd round based on GD with Jamaica back in the 2010 cycle.

I'm not sure the coaches know how to fix the problem.....they have not shown me thus far they do....and not having a very good #1 coach under Klinsman only compounds it.....if anything he needs to go and find a Low (who he had at Germany) to help him out....my candidate would be Jason Kries....a tactical genuis, organizationally sound, firey personality on the field and calm demeanor off the field. He would light a fire under this team (BIG TIME) thats missing....these guys guys are going through the motions....no spirit what so ever....just look at the best teams in the world....Germany comes to mind and the passion they play with....we have none of that....which begs the question are these players playing for these coaches?

Tweak? Where is the offensive attacking system that Klinsman promised? We have no idenity as a team right now....Kries could fix that...he took a putrid RSL team and turned them into the best team in MLS...and did so with out any 'name' players and they are the most tactically sound team in MLS....and it shows week in and week out....and we have a few name players in Dempsey, Donovan and Bradley...so we have talent...and some good youth like Fabin Johnson and Joe Corona to name a few....Kries is VERY GOOD with youth too....just look no further than Luis Gil starting for RSL at 18....

We have not played with top fitness for the past year...so its not just this cycle....

Agree....poor scheduling and a poor idea.....

Mexico in the World Cup Qualifying cycle for 2010 was a huge mess....and had a coaching change because of it....and a very young team who gelled because of that coaching change...and look where they are at now....so are you saying we need a coaching change?..... Maybe I should call Jason Kries?....

Its not an age an thing or a player thing....

I'm not saying replace Klinsman....I'm just saying there are some big issues that need to be fix and fixed soon....if anything I would bring in a new #1 coach....the indivdual in the job now has nothing in his resume' to give anyone any confidence he can do the job....perhaps that would give Klinsman the help he needs to turn this around....and Kries would be my choice...even at his young age he is the best coach in the USA right now....a rising star who will someday lead the USMNT as head coach....

Good discussion by the way....

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    By regroup, I mean the coaches will have a chance to go back, look over what worked, and what didn't, and go from there. These were the first truly meaningful games for Klinsmann. He'll have a chance now to tweak things, and hopefully make changes for the better.

As far as fitness, you don't drop in fitness from one month of camp, not when you're an international-caliber athlete, and you've been training and playing with your club. Maybe it's the age thing? There were a lot of years on the field for the USMNT over the past 2 games.

Looking back, playing so many games in such a short time frame was probably a bad idea. They should have just played 2 friendly's, instead of 3. Not much you can do about that now though, just learn from it. Even though the USMNT may be ahead of Jamaica now (without a head to head matchup to gauge where the teams stand), Mexico made it out of the 3rd round based on GD with Jamaica back in the 2010 cycle.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season