Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Car Talk to end

All Legend

Car Talk to end

On Friday, hosts Tom and Ray Magliozzi, known as "Click and Clack, the Tappet brothers," announced that they would be retiring from the popular NPR program in October.
    "We've decided that it's time to stop and smell the cappuccino," Ray wrote on the show's website.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/08/showbi...html?hpt=hp_t1

Bummer. I never made it a point to listen but when I happened across it was like found money.

Intellectual Patriot
    Beat me to it. Sad to hear this.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    Bummer. I never made it a point to listen but when I happened across it was like found money.
    +1

That show is funny and those guys know their stuff and how to keep it light. That show will be missed.

Scout Team
    I hope this is Booooooooogguuss!
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music!

Quote Originally Posted by Husker in Spokane View Post
    I hope this is Booooooooogguuss!
    Nope, it's legit.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/time-get-even-lazier

All Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    great analogy.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

towel boy
    I used to work at a public radio station. I always worked on Satuday and Sundays while I was going to school. Those guys, Prairie Home Companion and WhaDaYaKnow always made the time fly. They will be missed.

Administrator
    I liked that show. Bummer. The only two guys that can make car stuff funny!

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    I liked that show. Bummer. The only two guys that can make car stuff funny!
    The Top Gear UK guys are hilarious... auto-related humor lives on

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishioka View Post
    The Top Gear UK guys are hilarious... auto-related humor lives on

True, the are funny, but now there is a serious auto-related humor gap.

Little bit from the WSJ:

“Car Talk” is NPR’s most popular program, with 3.3 million people tuning in every week at 660 stations, according to Eric Nuzum, vice president of programming at NPR. NPR’s next-highest rated show is “Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me,” a news quiz show that garners 2.1 million listeners per week. “They’re retiring at the top of their game,” Mr. Nuzum said of the brothers. “It’s the most successful program on public radio.”

The bantering brothers started taping “Car Talk” 35 years ago at Boston’s WBUR station, giving advice about cars and life, and have since recorded more than 1,200 shows, according to NPR. It has been on NPR for 25 years.

“Frankly, it changed the whole nature of public radio in America,” said Charlie Kravetz, general manager of WBUR. He said the brothers started the show at a time when public radio was largely journalistic and music-based, without entertainment programming. Many stations were “throwing a lot of spaghetti against a refrigerator and seeing what sticks,” he said.

The Magliozzi brothers said in their note to listeners that with Tom, the older of the two, turning 75 this year, it was time to “stop and smell the cappuccino.”

We’ve managed to avoid getting thrown off NPR for 25 years, given out tens of thousands of wrong answers, generated lawsuit threats from innumerable car companies, and had a hell of a lot of fun talking to you guys,” wrote Ray, the younger brother, in their farewell note on Car Talk’s website.

The brothers will continue to record parts for the show that can’t be reclaimed from their old calls—like fundraising spots and promotions, Mr. Nuzum said. They will also continue to write their twice weekly column “Dear Tom and Ray.”
    About a future reappearance on NPR, Ray said “It’s unlikely, but anything’s possible.” His brother, characteristically, disagreed: “Absolutely not…I’m done.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...call-it-quits/

All Legend
    Typical:

TOM: So as of October, we're not going to be recording any more new shows. That's right, we're retiring.
    RAY: So, we can finally answer the question, if my brother retired, how would he know?

Oh, the humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    Oh, the humanity.

Husker Immortal
    there is no humor like auto humor

Junior Varsity
    Click and Clack will be missed by most everyone who listened in. I can hear them laughing now, and signing off by saying, "Don't drive like my brother!"
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.