Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Martinez

Red Shirt
    I will wait until after the Wisconsin game to pass judgement

Two thirds of our Ohio State come back points came while the first string quarterback was in the game. The Ohio State quarterback never was on the field when we scored all of the come back points. No way was the second string Ohio State QB the reason. Go back and look at the game!!!!

I will agree that there are many things that Martinez should improve on and I admire the fact that he knows this and works his tail off to get better. However, when I start to see the negitive remarks I just take a look at his stats and it becomes clear just how special a player he is. Below shows the career stats of Martinez compared to two of our best. I will give you the INT's and, although I didnt look, fumbles, but he will leave Nebraska as the best QB(stat wise) that ever played here.

Attempts Yards TD Avg/Carry Avg/Game
    Crouch 648 3434 59 5.8 69.9
    Frazier 342 1955 36 5.7 55.9
    Martinez 350 1609 21 4.6 64.4

% Yards TD Int Rating
    Crouch 51.49 4481 29 25 121.14
    Frazier 49.47 3521 43 11 138.09
    Martinez 57.44 3720 23 15 131.48

http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Pa...eer.asp?id=111

Scout Team
    I'll drink the Koolaid for now.. He has to be better by doing the extra footwork and passing drills. Two more years could either be good or bad depending on how much he progresses. His recievers need to help him more and if he could get back to his old running skills he could be good. GBR

Starter
    Don't forget improved offensive line play would go a long way with making the QB look good.
    The life you lead is the life you teach!

Tommie Armstrong!!!

oh, wait, sorry,

Brion Carnes!!!!

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Any one who puts as much effort as he is on improving is ok in my book, and I agree, last year he was not even close to our biggest issue. Getting off the field on third down on defense seemed to me the biggest problem.
    Yes.

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by wcbsas View Post
    Don't forget improved offensive line play would go a long way with making the QB look good.
    Not if he doesn't figure out how to move in the pocket and make the correct reads in the run game. A lot of his sacks came from him running into the back of one of his blockers while he was still engaged with the defender. The line certainly has room to improve, but Martinez needs to have a better awareness of what is going on around him. A step up, a step to the side... suddenly the play gets an extra 2-3 seconds, which is an eternity for a DB covering a receiver downfield.

Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    Not if he doesn't figure out how to move in the pocket and make the correct reads in the run game. A lot of his sacks came from him running into the back of one of his blockers while he was still engaged with the defender. The line certainly has room to improve, but Martinez needs to have a better awareness of what is going on around him. A step up, a step to the side... suddenly the play gets an extra 2-3 seconds, which is an eternity for a DB covering a receiver downfield.
    Yep. He's horrible in traffic. In just about every facet possible.

God I admire you.
    Let's not forget he switched offenses yet again last year and had to deal first and foremost with that...Beck admitted they had no time to work on anything else. Plus, he was being asked to aidible and actually MAKE reads last year, whereas Watson either didnt allow him, want him, or trust him to..even in the zone-read game, it was often pre-determined. Despite that, he made incremental progress in many areas last year...especially leadership. Per the reports he is going above and beyond to work on footwork and mechanics this off-season on his own. That's leadership and commitment, and it will definitely pay off. He's never going to be Peyton Manning, but he doesnt need to be. Give him the benefit of the doubt and let him progress.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by FeelLikeAStranger View Post
    Let's not forget he switched offenses yet again last year and had to deal first and foremost with that...Beck admitted they had no time to work on anything else. Plus, he was being asked to aidible and actually MAKE reads last year, whereas Watson either didnt allow him, want him, or trust him to..even in the zone-read game, it was often pre-determined. Despite that, he made incremental progress in many areas last year...especially leadership. Per the reports he is going above and beyond to work on footwork and mechanics this off-season on his own. That's leadership and commitment, and it will definitely pay off. He's never going to be Peyton Manning, but he doesnt need to be. Give him the benefit of the doubt and let him progress.

Starter
    I'm gonna get the 1 millionth post one way or another!

This will probably be taken as player-bashing by some guys, but these are just my observations...

The guy makes poor decisions with the football. I'm not convinced that he understands his reads in the running OR passing game. He has little pocket presence, and he's not elusive. He runs into his own players while they are blocking for him. He is a high risk to fumble the ball whenever he is in traffic.
    His accuracy is suspect. Many of the dropped passes involved a receiver making a great adjustment on a poorly thrown ball but not quite being able to hang on. He hangs receivers out to dry across the middle and frequently throws the ball behind them.

He wasn't the only reason for Nebraska's struggles, but he was a big reason for our offensive inconsistency. We all know about his struggles against Wisconsin, but he generally struggled in the other losses as well. He had a decent passing day against Northwestern, but struggled against Michigan (39%, 3 sacks; 49 yds on 16 carries) and South Carolina (116 yds passing, 1 INT, 6 sacks, 37 yards rushing on 16 carries). Six of his ten completions in that game went to running backs, and Kenny Bell was the only WR to catch a pass from him.

It appears as though he is putting in a ton of effort in order to improve his game, and that excites me. He is a going to be a 4th year junior, so he is out of excuses. It's time to step up and be a difference maker. Teams have neutralized his straight-line speed, so he's going to have to be more polished in other areas.
    I wish I didn't agree with you here.

Gunga galunga. Gunga....
    This will probably be taken as player-bashing by some guys, but these are just my observations...

The guy makes poor decisions with the football. I'm not convinced that he understands his reads in the running OR passing game. He has little pocket presence, and he's not elusive. He runs into his own players while they are blocking for him. He is a high risk to fumble the ball whenever he is in traffic.
    His accuracy is suspect. Many of the dropped passes involved a receiver making a great adjustment on a poorly thrown ball but not quite being able to hang on. He hangs receivers out to dry across the middle and frequently throws the ball behind them.

He wasn't the only reason for Nebraska's struggles, but he was a big reason for our offensive inconsistency. We all know about his struggles against Wisconsin, but he generally struggled in the other losses as well. He had a decent passing day against Northwestern, but struggled against Michigan (39%, 3 sacks; 49 yds on 16 carries) and South Carolina (116 yds passing, 1 INT, 6 sacks, 37 yards rushing on 16 carries). Six of his ten completions in that game went to running backs, and Kenny Bell was the only WR to catch a pass from him.

It appears as though he is putting in a ton of effort in order to improve his game, and that excites me. He is a going to be a 4th year junior, so he is out of excuses. It's time to step up and be a difference maker. Teams have neutralized his straight-line speed, so he's going to have to be more polished in other areas.
    Well done.
    Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. - HawkeyeNation

All Big 10

Lou Holtz is literally a blithering fool.

I'd base my opinion on his assessment about as soon as I start looking to Skip Bayless for advice on pro football, basketball, baseball, lacrosse, cricket, buzkashi etc.