Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Martinez

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    --------------------

His completion rate should have been around 60% last season.
    I really do not remember an inordinate number of dropped balls. However, with as many swing passes and 3-4 yard passes over the middle that he throws, his completion rate should be at least 70-75%.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

Starter
    Athlon has Tmart at #5 on their Heisman Hopeful watch in the B10.

Apparently, they haven't been following this thread very closely???
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

Quote Originally Posted by AzHusker View Post
    Athlon has Tmart at #5 on their Heisman Hopeful watch in the B10.

Apparently, they haven't been following this thread very closely???
    --------------------------
    LOL
    Athlon and the others have been doing this a long time. They realize that these kids refine their games and the games slow down as they become upper classmen. You hear the coaches, the players, the outside quarterback gurus say that he is making great strides. It's the very reason Devaney and Osborne redshirted almost everyone. Their teams were full of fifth year seniors. Osborne said he didn't like freshman eligibility. Bo says the same thing. It's because the game has become NFL like where players are full time projects. The schemes have become complicated. The playbooks thicker. The techniques more refined with time.

Martinez was short changed as he played early out of necessity. He wasn't given the time for more maturing and refining. The playbook changed year to year, making it difficult to grow into the finished product. All the little things that quarterbacks do were constantly put on the back burner due to time restraints and rules. The good thing is learning on the job maybe isn't pretty but eventually it is very effective if you can stand the obvious heat inflicted.

I'm looking for big things from the kid. Year two in the same offense means the game slows way down. He finally gets that chance to get coached the way he would have been in a normal situation without the many transitions. The gurus have been around the game long enough to know there will be steps forward. The final progress is up to Martinez himself. He appears to be doing everything he can to refine his game. Frost took the same heat from the same fans. It turned out OK for him. He never overcame his shotput motion but his game evolved non the less. Evolved enough for a crystal ball and a ring.

Varsity

[QUOTE=redarmy;962054

Moving forward, Taylor has to get back to running the football like he did pre injury[/QUOTE]

Never going to happen. Teams now how to defend TM, stuff the box w/8 or 9 and dare him too throw.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by hskrncibolo View Post
    Never going to happen. Teams now how to defend TM, stuff the box w/8 or 9 and dare him too throw.
    True, and I don't think he ever regained his pre-injury speed and quickness. He has to be able to pass the ball down field effectively. However, that will be very difficult with his throwing motion.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
    His statistics are on pace to re-write much of the Nebraska record book. Calling them not-great is a bit of an understatement. But you are right. You put a great NU defense with that team and they would have been up there.
    Statistics can be very misleading. For a long time, Tommie Frazier held the school record for TD passes (until Zac Taylor broke it), but he was hardly a great throwing QB. Any time that a QB has the opportunity to start for 4 years, he will probably set a number of school records. That does not mean that he is a great QB. It just means that he had a lot of opportunities to set records.

We had a lot of problems last year and Martinez was one of those problems. I don't know if he was the biggest problem, but he was certainly a problem. I don't see him being a huge weapon in the future. Even with the improved footwork I'm sure his throwing motion will still hinder the team. He throws behind receivers a lot, which is why receivers drop those a lot...because they have to awkwardly readjust. He has good straight line speed but nothing beyond that as a runner...He also makes a lot of "Brett Favre decisions" ...For instance if he's running outside of the pocket and has two options: throw it away or throw it into triple coverage...I think he throws it into triple coverage

Group B
    I think I am going to wait and watch the season unfold before I start using words like never, can't, won't.
    That's not what he said you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English! - Johnny Ringo.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw11 View Post
    Surprised I haven't seen something like this sooner. Its just too easy of a target.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Surprised I haven't seen something like this sooner. Its just too easy of a target.
    Truly a brutle throwing motion. Hope his work this offseason make a difference.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by carrolltonsker View Post
    True, and I don't think he ever regained his pre-injury speed and quickness. He has to be able to pass the ball down field effectively. However, that will be very difficult with his throwing motion.
    He's always been fast and still is. It's quickness he lacks and always has.

It seems that everyone is intently focused on his throwing motion and pocket presence. Fine, these are valid considerations. But just for awhile let's think about the interior make up of this young man.

What I see, I like. A lot. He is internally driven to excel and is doing everything he can to improve his game. This will continue throughout his collegiate career. He is smart and a leader. Before he became confident in the system, he hung back and let others take the lead. He rightfully did not feel worthy of the leadership mantle. Now he does and the light is coming on and he is responding like any good quarterback would. This year things will slow down yet again and the play book becomes more familiar and new plays will be evident. His performance should reflect that.

Every chance I get I give my opinion that this year may or may not be gang busters, but I look at it as a giant practice session for 2013 and see the parts in place for a run at the national championship.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmy View Post
    I think I am going to wait and watch the season unfold before I start using words like never, can't, won't.
    Same here...and "Heisman" too.

Pulling for you and your teammates in red, Tmart!!
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    He's always been fast and still is. It's quickness he lacks and always has.
    He gets to top speed in three steps per the analysis done his freshman year....that is quick. IMO, he doesn't have real good vision and can't cut effectively - he slows down to cut and gets nailed.
    When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion. - A. Lincoln

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir W. Churchill

Spend 50% of your time taking care of your business and 50% leaving everyone else's alone.