Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Martinez

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedOhio View Post
    His statistics were not great, but he managed the game very well overall. He made some great plays last year and I see him only getting better. Our defense stunk last year....that is where I have always placed the blame.
    His statistics are on pace to re-write much of the Nebraska record book. Calling them not-great is a bit of an understatement. But you are right. You put a great NU defense with that team and they would have been up there.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC_BugEater View Post
    Will the Triple Lindy really work on a football field?
    First of all, the NU staff is totally incapable of coming up with a play that even comes close to the triple Lindy.

And, if it didn't work you would have the usual doofus/experts wondering why we didn't go with the short side option.

But...then again...how close was the triple option to the triple Lindy?

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by jmatlock View Post
    Pal..the second string OSU qb was the reason we won that game.That was the most god awful performance I have ever seen at the college level..that said I hope he is able to play against us this year
    Granted Bauserman was awful...but watch the 2nd half again...Martinez was pretty darn good.

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by HuttoHusker View Post
    Bingo.. We need to get bigger, stronger, & better up front on both sides of the ball.
    +100

God I admire you.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRedWood View Post
    First of all, the NU staff is totally incapable of coming up with a play that even comes close to the triple Lindy.

And, if it didn't work you would have the usual doofus/experts wondering why we didn't go with the short side option.

But...then again...how close was the triple option to the triple Lindy?
    I thought the triple option with Rex and Ameer was pretty boss. Urban did as well.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10

Husker Immortal
    and Heard

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    This will probably be taken as player-bashing by some guys, but these are just my observations...

The guy makes poor decisions with the football. I'm not convinced that he understands his reads in the running OR passing game. He has little pocket presence, and he's not elusive. He runs into his own players while they are blocking for him. He is a high risk to fumble the ball whenever he is in traffic.
    His accuracy is suspect. Many of the dropped passes involved a receiver making a great adjustment on a poorly thrown ball but not quite being able to hang on. He hangs receivers out to dry across the middle and frequently throws the ball behind them.

He wasn't the only reason for Nebraska's struggles, but he was a big reason for our offensive inconsistency. We all know about his struggles against Wisconsin, but he generally struggled in the other losses as well. He had a decent passing day against Northwestern, but struggled against Michigan (39%, 3 sacks; 49 yds on 16 carries) and South Carolina (116 yds passing, 1 INT, 6 sacks, 37 yards rushing on 16 carries). Six of his ten completions in that game went to running backs, and Kenny Bell was the only WR to catch a pass from him.

It appears as though he is putting in a ton of effort in order to improve his game, and that excites me. He is a going to be a 4th year junior, so he is out of excuses. It's time to step up and be a difference maker. Teams have neutralized his straight-line speed, so he's going to have to be more polished in other areas.
    Good post. I hope noone tries to play the player-bashing card on you... This is a very factual and fair assessment.

Starter
    This will probably be taken as player-bashing by some guys, but these are just my observations...

The guy makes poor decisions with the football. I'm not convinced that he understands his reads in the running OR passing game. He has little pocket presence, and he's not elusive. He runs into his own players while they are blocking for him. He is a high risk to fumble the ball whenever he is in traffic.
    His accuracy is suspect. Many of the dropped passes involved a receiver making a great adjustment on a poorly thrown ball but not quite being able to hang on. He hangs receivers out to dry across the middle and frequently throws the ball behind them.

He wasn't the only reason for Nebraska's struggles, but he was a big reason for our offensive inconsistency. We all know about his struggles against Wisconsin, but he generally struggled in the other losses as well. He had a decent passing day against Northwestern, but struggled against Michigan (39%, 3 sacks; 49 yds on 16 carries) and South Carolina (116 yds passing, 1 INT, 6 sacks, 37 yards rushing on 16 carries). Six of his ten completions in that game went to running backs, and Kenny Bell was the only WR to catch a pass from him.

It appears as though he is putting in a ton of effort in order to improve his game, and that excites me. He is a going to be a 4th year junior, so he is out of excuses. It's time to step up and be a difference maker. Teams have neutralized his straight-line speed, so he's going to have to be more polished in other areas.
    Interesting that you have identified a plethora of TM's weaknesses and because the weaknesses cover nearly every aspect of QB play, they leave no room for any offsetting strength's. Despite this, you seem to have no issue with the coaches who trot this disaster (based on your description, not mine) onto the field week in and week out. Seems odd.

PS--it isn't really unusual for a QB's performance to be pretty bad when his team has had their arses handed to them. Many realize games are usually won in the trenches, QB's though almost always get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses.

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post

Interesting that you have identified a plethora of TM's weaknesses and because the weaknesses cover nearly every aspect of QB play, they leave no room for any offsetting strength's. Despite this, you seem to have no issue with the coaches who trot this disaster (based on your description, not mine) onto the field week in and week out. Seems odd.
    Actually, I've been quite critical of the staff when it comes to Martinez. I felt that Zac Lee should have been the starter in 2010, and there were plenty of times in 2011 when I publicly suggested that Brion Carnes should have been given an opportunity.

I don't think Martinez has been a "disaster." I think he has potential. We've seen him excel at times, so it may just be a matter of him becoming more consistent. If he is to be the starter, the staff needs to improve on playing to his strengths and hiding his weaknesses.

Just because I disagree with a decision regarding one player doesn't mean I have to dislike the rest of what Pelini and Co. have done.

PS--it isn't really unusual for a QB's performance to be pretty bad when his team has had their arses handed to them. Many realize games are usually won in the trenches, QB's though almost always get too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses.
    I don't disagree with you, but there are times when a QB performs well even when the rest of the team struggles. There are also times when a QB plays poorly, but the rest of the team picks up the slack. And then there are games like NU-UW where the QB (and OC) hand the game away all by themselves.

Starter
    Actually, I've been quite critical of the staff when it comes to Martinez. I felt that Zac Lee should have been the starter in 2010, and there were plenty of times in 2011 when I publicly suggested that Brion Carnes should have been given an opportunity.
    I stand corrected.

I don't think Martinez has been a "disaster." I think he has potential. We've seen him excel at times, so it may just be a matter of him becoming more consistent. If he is to be the starter, the staff needs to improve on playing to his strengths and hiding his weaknesses.
    I stand corrected again, though its seems hard to reconcile with the voluminous criticisms. That said, I probably have at least as many criticisms of Bo and I don't believe he is a disaster either.

Just because I disagree with a decision regarding one player doesn't mean I have to dislike the rest of what Pelini and Co. have done.
    Obviously true.

I don't disagree with you, but there are times when a QB performs well even when the rest of the team struggles. There are also times when a QB plays poorly, but the rest of the team picks up the slack. And then there are games like NU-UW where the QB (and OC) hand the game away all by themselves.
    Despite their poor performances, I don't think you can hold TM or TB completely responsible, when the defense gives up 5 TD drives of over 70 yards.

Group B
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Lou Holtz is literally a blithering fool.

I'd base my opinion on his assessment about as soon as I start looking to Skip Bayless for advice on pro football, basketball, baseball, lacrosse, cricket, buzkashi etc.
    I understand that Holtz is a polarizing figure. People either love him or hate him. I think he was a hell of a football coach and he is very good motivational speaker.

Nobody was complaining about Taylor's running skills b4 he got hurt back in the Mizzu game. He didnt need to juke people because once he was past the line of scrimmage, he was out running angles to the endzone. Last year, it was obvious that he was coached to protect the ball and to try and protect himself. In trying to do so, he lost the one thing he had going for him, his flat out burst and straight line speed.

i agree with what has been said so far.

1) He makes poor decisions with the football. We saw improvement last year but he needs to continue to improve.
    2) He became indecisive and tentative. What blows my mind is that i cant think of a worse play to ask a player who has both of these traits to run, than the option play. You have to be able to make split second (good) decisions.

3) I have no doubt that at times, our coaching staff has asked too much of him and hung him out to dry. It goes back to his freshman season. We could have platooned him at QB and let him ease into the position (like Meyer did with Tebow at Fla). Instead he took his lumps and this came at a cost (his confidence). The Wisconsin game was another example of setting him up to fail in the first half. We asked him to do too much and it played us right out of the game with turnovers at the end of the first half.

Moving forward, Taylor has to get back to running the football like he did pre injury. I can appreciate all of the hard work he has put in to improve his passing. I hope it shows up on the field this year with good results. I think the diamond formation gives him his best chance to shine. The ball gets spread around and he seems to pass well out of it. Maybe we can under utilize the formation again this year and keep running single back double tight end option plays with him?

He is in this 3rd year now. The game should really start slowing down for him this season. This will help on zone reads and his overall approach to the position.

We have the best offensive line we have had in awhile. We have plenty of speed and talent around him. I expect our offense to be the best it has been in awhile.

Our defense has to play better plain and simple. If you look at our losses last year, our defensive unit imploded. We have to get better secondary play, (we should) and our front 7 needs to play better.
    That's not what he said you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English! - Johnny Ringo.

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I stand corrected.

I stand corrected again, though its seems hard to reconcile with the voluminous criticisms. That said, I probably have at least as many criticisms of Bo and I don't believe he is a disaster either.

Obviously true.

Despite their poor performances, I don't think you can hold TM or TB completely responsible, when the defense gives up 5 TD drives of over 70 yards.
    I'm not sure which game you're talking about. Wisconsin had 4 (not 5) TD drives of over 70 yards. The first two were drives in which we were trading blows back and forth... Nebraska led 14-13 after the second long Wisconsin TD drive. The three straight INTs (and subsequent TDs) that Martinez & Beck handed Wisconsin put the game pretty much out of reach by the time of the last two 70+ yd drives, which resulted in Wisconsin's final scores. The team was completely deflated by those INTs.

Starter
    I'm not sure which game you're talking about. Wisconsin had 4 (not 5) TD drives of over 70 yards. The first two were drives in which we were trading blows back and forth... Nebraska led 14-13 after the second long Wisconsin TD drive. The three straight INTs (and subsequent TDs) that Martinez & Beck handed Wisconsin put the game pretty much out of reach by the time of the last two 70+ yd drives, which resulted in Wisconsin's final scores. The team was completely deflated by those INTs.
    You are correct, they ONLY had 4 drives over 70 yards (we had 1). The 2011 Wisconsin embarrasment is the game I'm speaking about. You know, the one that TO asked us to wear our funeral black to the game? The game where we got lucky on a turnover early to get the lead and had everything going for us until we absolutely imploded? The far better team won that game and it was probably as close as it possibly could have been in Wisconsin. They let us in the game early and then just smashed us when it was time to get serious. As Bob Devaney once said of the Sugar Bowl game against Alabama "They beat the ******** out of us." That is an understatement for the funeral game.

PS-Secretariat broke last in many of his races, most of the time he toyed with his opponents.

All American
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedOhio View Post
    You are correct, TMart has a ceiling for how good he can be as a passer...he's never going to be a consistent deep threat. But if he can limit mistakes and keep the chains moving...we can win with him. He was a big part of our wins vs. Ohio St. and Penn St.
    My beef with TM is his inability to run tough with the ball, and lack of situational awareness. I.E., he will not put his head down and turn it upfield to get the tough 2-3 yards, and the first down, as opposed to cutting it to the sideline, and trying to outrun inside/out pursuit to the corner. All too often, it seemed he would come up just short of the first down in that situation.

I think his passing ability is OK.

I don't want to be a glass half-full kind of guy, so I'll say TM must be the best we have. I trust the coaches, in that regard.
    [television commercial] Hi, I'm Ricky Bobby. If you don't cheer for Big Red, then f-*bleep* you.

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Country Doc View Post
    My beef with TM is his inability to run tough with the ball, and lack of situational awareness. I.E., he will not put his head down and turn it upfield to get the tough 2-3 yards, and the first down, as opposed to cutting it to the sideline, and trying to outrun inside/out pursuit to the corner. All too often, it seemed he would come up just short of the first down in that situation.

I think his passing ability is OK.

I don't want to be a glass half-full kind of guy, so I'll say TM must be the best we have. I trust the coaches, in that regard.
    --------------------

All that you say it true. Situational awareness. As for running tough it goes back to strength or lack there of. He has an angular frame and not built for power. Arm tackles often are enough. This goes back to knowing when to pick your spots. Situational awareness as it were.

There are very limited number of backs that do everything well. He will never be an inside runner. Using that speed to the outside is his game. His option game however obviously needs work. There he is too fast to the edge, when he should be drawing the defender to him. He rarely has room to pitch because he doesn't understand the concept of making the defender come to him or cover the back circling the play. This can be corrected. Imprinting is the key with the option as well as his passing form.

As for his passing, even with his funky delivery he had many balls dropped every game. Some games he had many dropped. His completion rate should have been around 60% last season. Now granted his timing wasn't alway there but his stats are misleading.

There were mistakes in the offensive front from time to time but it wasn't as bad as Martinez made it appear. Not giving himself enough room to step into his throws was a constant. Imprinting a deeper drop can be cured. Now the coaches have the opportunity to work on the fundamentals. Or as Osborne says "the many little things" that collectively make differences in ones game. Something lost in the many transitions of the past.

His velocity Should be vastly improved with better footwork. The question is can his brain imprint the changes needed to correct his problems? It appears that he is doing everything he can to right the wrongs. If he could throw with good velocity not stepping into his throws before, just think the speed he can generate when he does. Working in the second season in the same offense should mean more comfort in his game. More comfort means playing faster and thinking quicker with his reads. That is usually the case with any quarterback. His game gets better with his comfort level. Situational awareness naturally progresses with time. Is there time to formate his past and reinstall fundamentals. The coaches make it sound like he is progressing. That's encouraging.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    --------------------

His completion rate should have been around 60% last season.
    I really do not remember an inordinate number of dropped balls. However, with as many swing passes and 3-4 yard passes over the middle that he throws, his completion rate should be at least 70-75%.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)

Starter
    Athlon has Tmart at #5 on their Heisman Hopeful watch in the B10.

Apparently, they haven't been following this thread very closely???
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

Quote Originally Posted by AzHusker View Post
    Athlon has Tmart at #5 on their Heisman Hopeful watch in the B10.

Apparently, they haven't been following this thread very closely???
    --------------------------
    LOL
    Athlon and the others have been doing this a long time. They realize that these kids refine their games and the games slow down as they become upper classmen. You hear the coaches, the players, the outside quarterback gurus say that he is making great strides. It's the very reason Devaney and Osborne redshirted almost everyone. Their teams were full of fifth year seniors. Osborne said he didn't like freshman eligibility. Bo says the same thing. It's because the game has become NFL like where players are full time projects. The schemes have become complicated. The playbooks thicker. The techniques more refined with time.

Martinez was short changed as he played early out of necessity. He wasn't given the time for more maturing and refining. The playbook changed year to year, making it difficult to grow into the finished product. All the little things that quarterbacks do were constantly put on the back burner due to time restraints and rules. The good thing is learning on the job maybe isn't pretty but eventually it is very effective if you can stand the obvious heat inflicted.

I'm looking for big things from the kid. Year two in the same offense means the game slows way down. He finally gets that chance to get coached the way he would have been in a normal situation without the many transitions. The gurus have been around the game long enough to know there will be steps forward. The final progress is up to Martinez himself. He appears to be doing everything he can to refine his game. Frost took the same heat from the same fans. It turned out OK for him. He never overcame his shotput motion but his game evolved non the less. Evolved enough for a crystal ball and a ring.

Varsity

[QUOTE=redarmy;962054

Moving forward, Taylor has to get back to running the football like he did pre injury[/QUOTE]

Never going to happen. Teams now how to defend TM, stuff the box w/8 or 9 and dare him too throw.