Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martinez

Hybrid View

Red Shirt

Martinez

After reading the interview with Lou Holtz combined with all the people blaming Martinez for our inconsistency...I just wish people would get off of Martinez's back. In my opinion, he was the least of our problems last year. I'm fine with him being our quarterback. The only game that could be directly blamed on him would be the Wisconsin game. The Michigan game was a special teams nightmare, NW was a team choke, and the South Carolina game was definitely not his fault (Maher missed FG, blocked pat for 2pt, Abdullah fumble, hail mary, offensive line, etc..)

Martinez is the least of our problems. His statistics were not great, but he managed the game very well overall. He made some great plays last year and I see him only getting better. Our defense stunk last year....that is where I have always placed the blame.

Junior Varsity
    Any one who puts as much effort as he is on improving is ok in my book, and I agree, last year he was not even close to our biggest issue. Getting off the field on third down on defense seemed to me the biggest problem.
    When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion. - A. Lincoln

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir W. Churchill

Spend 50% of your time taking care of your business and 50% leaving everyone else's alone.

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Any one who puts as much effort as he is on improving is ok in my book
    Great point...have to respect the guy for putting in the time to improve. If our OLine plays well this year, Martinez will have a nice season.

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    Any one who puts as much effort as he is on improving is ok in my book, and I agree, last year he was not even close to our biggest issue. Getting off the field on third down on defense seemed to me the biggest problem.
    Yes.

I agree completely. Maybe a few less dropped balls and stupid false starts may help also.

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedOhio View Post
    Martinez is the least of our problems. His statistics were not great, but he managed the game very well overall. He made some great plays last year and I see him only getting better. Our defense stunk last year....that is where I have always placed the blame.

One demensional teams are easy to defend , compared to a dual threat qb/team . I dont see Tmart being a legit passing threat, ever. Just hope he continues to be a better game manager.

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by hskrncibolo View Post
    One demensional teams are easy to defend , compared to a dual threat qb/team . I dont see Tmart being a legit passing threat, ever. Just hope he continues to be a better game manager.
    You are correct, TMart has a ceiling for how good he can be as a passer...he's never going to be a consistent deep threat. But if he can limit mistakes and keep the chains moving...we can win with him. He was a big part of our wins vs. Ohio St. and Penn St.

Recruit

You are correct, TMart has a ceiling for how good he can be as a passer...he's never going to be a consistent deep threat. But if he can limit mistakes and keep the chains moving...we can win with him. He was a big part of our wins vs. Ohio St. and Penn St.
    Pal..the second string OSU qb was the reason we won that game.That was the most god awful performance I have ever seen at the college level..that said I hope he is able to play against us this year

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by jmatlock View Post
    Pal..the second string OSU qb was the reason we won that game.That was the most god awful performance I have ever seen at the college level..that said I hope he is able to play against us this year
    Martinez didn't win that game, but it's a common misconception that we took control of that game after Miller was knocked out. Nebraska's defense had stopped OSU, and don't forget that it was Miller that had lost the fumble that turned the tide. By the time he was knocked out of the game, Nebraska pulled to within 20-27. The comeback was well under way before Braxton Miller left the game.

We moved the ball against a really good OSU defense. While we got lucky with Miller, our offense deserves quite a bit of credit for getting it done.

Two thirds of our Ohio State come back points came while the first string quarterback was in the game. The Ohio State quarterback never was on the field when we scored all of the come back points. No way was the second string Ohio State QB the reason. Go back and look at the game!!!!

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mgrtahusker View Post
    Two thirds of our Ohio State come back points came while the first string quarterback was in the game. The Ohio State quarterback never was on the field when we scored all of the come back points. No way was the second string Ohio State QB the reason. Go back and look at the game!!!!
    And ALL of the points that OSU scored was with Miller at QB. Lets not pretend that we would have come back if Miller had stayed in the game.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Red Shirt

Granted Bauserman was awful...but watch the 2nd half again...Martinez was pretty darn good.

Husker Fan

It's not his passing that makes him ineffective. It's his poor running skills.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    It's not his passing that makes him ineffective. It's his poor running skills.
    yup