Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: tomatos

Husker Immortal
    our plants are looking great; but they always do in June.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer View Post
    our plants are looking great; but they always do in June.
    pictures???

Heisman

Big Red Fan!!!

I use growboxes also. I bought more this year so I get more batches of salsa.

Heisman

how many of y'all use the upside down plants?

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFanz View Post
    I use growboxes also. I bought more this year so I get more batches of salsa.
    Yep, we bought the second this year and will get a third next year. We really like them.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    My brother uses one and likes it.

Intellectual Patriot
    When my retaining wall is complete in back I will have 25 four foot tall posts to hang shephards hooks from for the upside down planting. They shall have tomatoes and peppers in buckets. My wife works at a retirement community so she can get their laundry detergent buckets when they are done. Free, free, free, that is the best price for me.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    When my retaining wall is complete in back I will have 25 four foot tall posts to hang shephards hooks from for the upside down planting. They shall have tomatoes and peppers in buckets. My wife works at a retirement community so she can get their laundry detergent buckets when they are done. Free, free, free, that is the best price for me.
    Wow! you need to post a picture next year. That's impressive.

Intellectual Patriot
    If I get it complete I definitely will. We dug out the top tier, and pushed it back to be able to gain some ground and get the heighth up. It is a screwy set up. Our house is on a corner, with a hill on both sides. The back yard is about 10 ft below grade of the house behind us and only about 25 feet from the back of our house. I engineered the wall type myself and the portions done last year are holding well. I basically drop an 8' 4x4 every 4 feet vertical, then use 3x5 landscape timbers as the horizontal fill. I dug out far enough to be able to restack the rock that was there as a "secondary" wall behind it. We have moved mucho dirt. I will be glad when it is complete as it has been a multi-year project.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Big Red Fan!!!

Yep, we bought the second this year and will get a third next year. We really like them.
    I had 6 last year. I have 16 this year. I won't have to buy any more for a long time.

Big Red Fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    I used to but found the grow boxes to be better for me. They hold 4 gallons of water so you can go a few days without filling the container.

Husker Immortal
    I had 6 last year. I have 16 this year. I won't have to buy any more for a long time.
    Do you stay with two tomato plants per box?

Big Red Fan!!!

Mostly. If you have 3 in one box, you need to fill it every day because when the plants are full grown they will use about 3 gallons of the 4. This year I have 2 boxes with 3 and 3 with 2 in them. And a bunch of pepper plants.

Husker Immortal
    Mostly. If you have 3 in one box, you need to fill it every day because when the plants are full grown they will use about 3 gallons of the 4. This year I have 2 boxes with 3 and 3 with 2 in them. And a bunch of pepper plants.
    that's great. We may not buy one next year if we can put three plants in each box. Wifey checks everyday now as it is with two in the box. Or buy a third box and grow nine plants.