Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: B1G Baseball: Great Read

Red Shirt

B1G Baseball: Great Read

Check this out:

Anderson can't change the weather, but he'd like to change the way scholarships are awarded. In particular, he's an advocate for changing the way some leagues and some schools can "over-commit" their number of scholarships, while others (including Big Ten schools) cannot.

All NCAA Division I baseball schools are allowed the equivalent of 11.7 full rides. Most of the major conferences around the country, however, can "over-commit" beyond the 11.7 scholarships and worry about it later, he said. Big Ten schools, however, cannot.

Let's take the example of School XYZ, located somewhere in the south. It has a talented junior class and thinks several of those juniors will be drafted and turn pro, so it recruits and signs extra players to fill the expected void, committing beyond the 11.7 grants before it knows if those juniors actually will leave school or not. If they do leave,
    School XYZ is covered. But if they don't, School XYZ has committed more than its allotment of 11.7 scholarships for the following year and must make adjustments. In short, somebody who was promised scholarship money won't get it.

Now let's take the example of schools in the Big Ten Conference. They are not allowed, by league rules, to over-commit, so they have to sit tight and see what happens with the draft, injuries, academic problems and defections. And by the time they know where they stand, most of the good players have committed to play somewhere else.

"There's some schools signing 25 to 28 players in the early signing period, because they know they're going to lose 'X' number of players, and they sort it all later," Anderson said. "They worry about it later, and I think that's a huge advantage for those schools."

Anderson is staring at that problem right now with Seth Rosin, one of his top pitchers, and Michael Kvasnicka, one of his best hitters. They are both juniors and could turn pro after this season, but Anderson cannot earmark their financial aid for new players until he knows for sure. Meanwhile, School XYZ in the south has it covered, even though an innocent player may suffer.

"I think we need a national rule where we can all do the same thing," Anderson maintained.

He's suggested a solution: Let all schools over-commit by a certain amount, perhaps two scholarships per school, to make it fair for everyone. The Big Ten has resisted the temptation to over-commit on philosophical grounds, and has a rule to punish schools that do.
    More here:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/...x?article=2292
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

Scout Team

Thanks for posting. The rest was a good read too.