Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Than 40 Percent of Americans Are on Some Government Program

More Than 40 Percent of Americans Are on Some Government Program

How many Americans depend on a government program for a basic (or not so basic) need? According to recently released Census Bureau data and Heritage Foundation calculations, the number is 128.8 million. That is the number of individuals directly receiving aid that they depend on for their daily consumption of things such as rent, prescription drugs, and higher education.

That is 41.3 percent of the U.S.population as of July 2011.
    There is a way out of the dependence-on-government trap. Steps are laid out in Heritage’s Saving the American Dream plan. If this plan were implemented, the economy would grow, government expenses would be held in check, and more Americans would support themselves. Some of the good results for individuals and the country would be:

* More Americans climbing the prosperity ladder.
    * Fewer Americans stuck in the rut of “just getting by.”
    * Those who currently receive more from the government than they pay in taxes could become contributing taxpayers.
    * Catastrophe averted by shrinking the runaway national debt.
    * More happiness as the intergenerational cycle of government dependence would be shattered and replaced by an intergenerational cycle of self-reliance and private-sector opportunities for all.
    Patrick Tyrrell, The Foundry

Is it acceptable for 40% of the U.S. population to directly depend on government in one form or another?

Is self-reliance, including establishing one's own safety-net, more desirable than reliance on government?

you are definitely on a crusade.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    you are definitely on a crusade.
    If it is a crusade against further dependence on government and to encourage more self-reliance and self- sufficiency for those that can........ that doesn't seem like such a bad thing.
    "Statistics are like the bikini: what they reveal is suggestive but what they conceal is vital."

Pretty sure government programs of one sort or another affect 100% of Americans. But yes, the Heritage Foundation's flat tax plan will save us all.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Pretty sure government programs of one sort or another affect 100% of Americans. But yes, the Heritage Foundation's flat tax plan will save us all.
    I'm pretty sure you're correct on that. Because if you add up all the ones on the dole, and then all the ones who have to pay for that group, you do get to 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    I asked whether or not it was acceptable for 41% of the population to directly depend on government largesse? Do you think it is?

Quote Originally Posted by OmaHusker View Post
    I asked whether or not it was acceptable for 41% of the population to directly depend on government largesse? Do you think it is?
    That number doesn't particularly surprise me. There are dozens of different programs that people can avail themselves of. As a parent of a special needs child, I have taken advantage of a number of such programs (respite care, early intervention education). We have recently applied for a Medicaid waiver that will open up access to a number of additional programs.

None of that changes the fact that the benefit we receive from these various programs is worth a small fraction of the amount of taxes we pay, or that we go out of pocket for many thousands of dollars a year in special-needs expenses.

But when you look at all the different ways that people can utilize government programs or services, it does not suprise me that 41% of the population can take advantage of one or more of them.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

God of Huskermax

Damn college kids and old people. Death panels can't get here soon enough!

Blackshirt

So they include taking out government backed student loans as being "on the dole"? People who receive social security, which is a program they paid into while working, are on the dole?

I wonder if they include driving on roads and playing in city parks being on the dole, too.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    That number doesn't particularly surprise me. There are dozens of different programs that people can avail themselves of. As a parent of a special needs child, I have taken advantage of a number of such programs (respite care, early intervention education). We have recently applied for a Medicaid waiver that will open up access to a number of additional programs.

None of that changes the fact that the benefit we receive from these various programs is worth a small fraction of the amount of taxes we pay, or that we go out of pocket for many thousands of dollars a year in special-needs expenses.

But when you look at all the different ways that people can utilize government programs or services, it does not suprise me that 41% of the population can take advantage of one or more of them.
    Yeah, I think it's a generalization meant to alarm more than a percentage that truly means much.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Damn college kids and old people. Death panels can't get here soon enough!

Their inclusion of Social Security in those numbers is interesting. Republicans may soon learn that they touch the third rail at their own peril.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    So they include taking out government backed student loans as being "on the dole"? People who receive social security, which is a program they paid into while working, are on the dole?

I wonder if they include driving on roads and playing in city parks being on the dole, too.
    If you consider SS, medicare and medicaid heading to bankruptcy leaving a small number that have to continue to support those 41%ers, yea I would say it's a problem and self reliance is more desireable then reliance on government.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by HuZkurZ View Post
    If you consider SS, medicare and medicaid heading to bankruptcy leaving a small number that have to continue to support those 41%ers, yea I would say it's a problem and self reliance is more desireable then reliance on government.
    Just because someone receives social security does not mean they are "reliant" on the government.

Blackshirt

Quote Originally Posted by HuZkurZ View Post
    Social security is heading to bankruptcy? When?

Do you propose scrapping those programs all together? Because anything else leaves the 41% or whatever intact.

Here's the scoop: The headline and % is simply part of a scare tactic. It has nothing serious to do with really socio-economic policy.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

Intellectual Patriot
    I have my death-panel hood ready for wear. It is a striking black velvet number with gold piping on the fringe that spells out "I DONT CARE".
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Intellectual Patriot
    Just because someone receives social security does not mean they are "reliant" on the government.
    Hello Means Testing.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

All Legend
    The 41% figure isn't troubling to me. It isn't even that meaningful because it includes for example Social Security and Medicare, which are at least theoretically paid for by recipients. Subsidized student loans, which are usually paid back both directly and in taxes due to higher earnings are another example way this figure is inflated.

Many other programs may provide assistance relative to an uncommon problem, or only in a small way in terms of the recipient's income.

Overall, I think we need cuts but they need to be very targeted to increase self reliant hehavior during people's early and productive years. But programs targeted at increasing social mobility and providing a safety net for the most needy and elderly will always be a good idea.
    "It just shows that we're changing the program," Petteway said. "Coach Miles and the guys we have on our staff and our players, we're changing the culture of Nebraska basketball, and this is just the beginning for us." - HuskerOnline.com 2-16-2014

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    Social security is heading to bankruptcy? When?

Do you propose scrapping those programs all together? Because anything else leaves the 41% or whatever intact.

Here's the scoop: The headline and % is simply part of a scare tactic. It has nothing serious to do with really socio-economic policy.
    Don't need to scrap it but they need reforming. Means testing, raised age of retirement, reduction of benefits so future retirees don't rely soley on SS benefits for retirement. Maybe the 41% figure remains but the amount of reliance is decreased.

By 2017, Social Security is expected to start paying out more than it collects in payroll taxes, according to the 2009 Annual Report from the Social Security and Medicare Board of Trustees. There is currently a large surplus, but it will be drained by the year 2037. At that point, Social Security will only be able to pay out 75 percent of its benefits.

A separate report, done by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, concludes much the same thing, but gives the system another 10 years before it begins to fall apart.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/34941334/Will...ocial_Security
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

Junior Varsity
    26% are.

Working forever might be the only option for Americans if the situation of many current retirees is any indication.
    One-quarter (26 percent) of retirees depend on Social Security as their only source of income.

Read more: Americans plan to work through retirement http://www.bankrate.com/finance/fina...#ixzz1x1nH4lCD

anyone know if this 41% # includes farm subsidy and other similar programs?