Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Why do Guinness bubbles sink?

Blackshirt

Why do Guinness bubbles sink?

Here's why and science has the answer:

"The mystery of why the bubbles in the legendary beer Guinness sink as opposed to rise as one might expect has finally been solved — the secret apparently lies in the shape of the pint glasses from which Guinness is often sipped, researchers in Ireland say. After you pour a glass of the famous Irish stout Guinness, the white bubbles settle downward. Since bubbles are lighter than beer, you might think this defies the laws of gravity.
    "In one's everyday life, one rarely comes across such a counterintuitive phenomenon, challenging equally the imagination of a university professor as well as that of Bill, John and Harry from the local pub," said researcher Eugene Benilov, an applied mathematician at the University of Limerick in Ireland.
    The solution to this puzzle lies in how the beer flows in the glass. The beer flows downward near the walls of the glass, dragging the tiny bubbles along with it, and then upward in the interior. This circulatory pattern eventually leads to a creamy white head of foam resting on top of the almost-black brew."

More here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47681338...ience-science/

And I thought it had more to do with how much you drink!
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

Rollin' Huskers
    Wherever our RV is parked - currently Stonewall Texas
    I would have been happy to have participated in this study !!!!

GBR
    Badger by birth - Husker by choice !!!

Society Crazy Indeed
    i was in Ireland a few years back...ordered a Guinness and went to reach for it and the bartender hit me with a stick like object...Thought is was sa nun ....sheesh they take their beer seriously. DO NOT TOUCH UNTIL SETTLED

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.