Get HuskerMaxô on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Flat result against Canada raises more USMNT/Klinsman questions

Exclamation Flat result against Canada raises more USMNT/Klinsman questions

Ives nails it....

The Americans were downright flat, uninspired, sloppy and above all, tired at BMO Field. They looked like a team that showed up to take part in a casual training session. They were facing an opponent that wanted to finally beat a team they hadnít beaten since 1985.

Sundayís scoreless draw dropped the USA to 1-1-1 in three friendlies that are part of Jurgen Klinsmannís imaginary tournament, hardly the sort of record he would have been hoping for when he hatched this plan to put his team through the conditions they will see in two years in the 2014 World Cup. After Sundayís stinker, Klinsmann and his team will thank their lucky stars this tournament is just imaginary, and the World Cup is still two years away.

Jurgen Klinsmann might want to raise his hand and take the blame for Sunday night. Along with seeing his team fall victim to the same strategy, it was Klinsmannís decision to pack the teamís schedule with three friendlies in a nine-day span, capped with a road game against a team also gearing up for qualifying. His starting nucleus played heavy minutes over the past week and it showed; most glaringly in midfield, where Canada outworked their American counterparts. Hopefully for Klinsmannís sake, this slump will not jeopardize qualification for the 2014 World Cup.

But, if the USA has any trouble advancing out of that group, there will be serious questions asked about Klinsmannís scheduling decisions.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/u...estions-060312
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Scout Team
    Yup, played uninspired last night, and sadly like I mentioned earlier...I don;t care how much talent we have, we might also be in trouble in qualifying.

Eh, it's a friendly, the 3rd friendly in the span of a week. Coaches don't get fired because of their friendly record. Look around at some of the scores from recent friendly's.

Spain 1 China 0
    Turkey 3, Portugal 1
    Russia 3, Italy 0
    Mexico 2 Bosnia 1
    France 3 Iceland 2
    Portugal 0 Macedonia 0
    Switzerland 5 Germany 3
    Bulgaria 2 Netherlands 1
    England 1 Norway 0

Bad friendly results are not a USMNT thing, it's an every country thing.

The USMNT will not be in any trouble in qualifying for the 2014 WC. The only thing they'll have trouble with, is being the top team in CONCACAF at the end of qualifying.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    The USMNT will not be in any trouble in qualifying for the 2014 WC. The only thing they'll have trouble with, is being the top team in CONCACAF at the end of qualifying.

I hope u r right PCE, I know no one gets fired for friendlies, just am concerned with teams like Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica, and Canada maybe causing us not to make it. I know none of them should...and hope this is just Dotsee the Germany fan who has no faith in Klinsmann talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsee View Post
    I hope u r right PCE, I know no one gets fired for friendlies, just am concerned with teams like Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica, and Canada maybe causing us not to make it. I know none of them should...and hope this is just Dotsee the Germany fan who has no faith in Klinsmann talking
    I can understand things being a bit nerve wracking, but here's how I look at it. 17 points has been good enough to qualify for the WC out of CONCACAF in the final round since the region expanded to 3 WC teams. Also, the USMNT has defended their home turf in the final round fairly well (dropping just 2 points in the 2010 cycle and 0 points in the 2006 cycle). So it's not out of the realm of reality to say that the USMNT will earn 12 points (and I'm being conservative) in their 5 home matches. That means they'll have to scrape just 5 points in their 5 road matches, but just to be sure, 6 points (they earned 7 points both in 2006 and 2010 in road matches) to qualify.

I have yet to see anything that would make me think the USNMT can't go at the very worst 4-4-2 in the final round (which yes I realize puts them at 16 points, but again, that's absolute worst case scenario of not winning 1 home game, and not winning any road games). Mexico is better (nothing wrong with that), they just tied Canada in Canada in their 3rd game in a week, and we'll see how well they stack up with Jamaica before the final round.

Scout Team
    I can understand things being a bit nerve wracking, but here's how I look at it. 17 points has been good enough to qualify for the WC out of CONCACAF in the final round since the region expanded to 3 WC teams. Also, the USMNT has defended their home turf in the final round fairly well (dropping just 2 points in the 2010 cycle and 0 points in the 2006 cycle). So it's not out of the realm of reality to say that the USMNT will earn 12 points (and I'm being conservative) in their 5 home matches. That means they'll have to scrape just 5 points in their 5 road matches, but just to be sure, 6 points (they earned 7 points both in 2006 and 2010 in road matches) to qualify.

I have yet to see anything that would make me think the USNMT can't go at the very worst 4-4-2 in the final round (which yes I realize puts them at 16 points, but again, that's absolute worst case scenario of not winning 1 home game, and not winning any road games). Mexico is better (nothing wrong with that), they just tied Canada in Canada in their 3rd game in a week, and we'll see how well they stack up with Jamaica before the final round.

CURSE U AND YOUR LOGICAL POINTS PCE sorry couldn't find anything wrong to say about it so resorted to turning into a bad comic book villain

Recruit
    A couple great posts PCE....

"There's three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way and the way that I do it. " - Nicky Santoro

"All things end badly, or else they wouldn't end. " - Brian Flanagan

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotsee View Post
    Yup, played uninspired last night, and sadly like I mentioned earlier...I don;t care how much talent we have, we might also be in trouble in qualifying.
    Was a very lackadaisical performance by just about everyone for sure, but on the flip side we did manage to shut them out (bad call or not, they happen in soccer.....a lot)....with the exception of the brazil game, we haven't been giving up a lot of goals, which means we'll be in a lot of games at the end.....come meaningful game time, I think we'll be ready to play
    "There's three ways to do things, the right way, the wrong way and the way that I do it. " - Nicky Santoro

"All things end badly, or else they wouldn't end. " - Brian Flanagan

If there was a 3rd legit country in CONCACAF (along with Mexico and US) I'd be worried. Sure Canada, Jamaica, and Costa Rica all have the potential, but they don't have any consistency. The Canada game was frustrating, but putting myself in the USMNT shoes, it was their 3rd friendly in a week. How inspired to NFL teams play in their 3rd preseason game? I liked the idea of playing 3 friendly's close together, but in the end, it was probably a bit overkill, especially since their biggest game (Brazil) was the 2nd game. Play Canada 2nd and Brazil 3rd, and I'm guessing the Canada outcome is a little different. Granted, teams should get ready to play no matter the opponent, but the USMNT played uninspired in Canada, while it looked like Canada went balls to the wall, and still came out with a result.